SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Sage Expert

Why do Sage scroll bars work differently than all the other scroll bars in the world?

Ok, "all the other scroll bars in the world" is an exaggeration. But the scroll bars in SageTV do not follow convention.

If you click in standard (read: all or nearly all) Windows scroll bar it will take you one screen length up or down. In SageTV, instead it moves the screen/list down proportionally... e.g., if you click in the bottom third it will take you straight to the bottom third of the list. With a normal scroll bar you would just click and drag the little box on the scroll bar to the bottom third of the scroll bar to do this.

Personally I find this very annoying. Not because it is functionally terrible, but because it flaunts convention (very important in a graphical interface) and causes me to frequently go to the wrong place in the list... I want to go down one screen but instead go down to the bottom of the list.

If there was a functional advantage to the unique Sage way here I would understand. But it seems unconventional for no reason.

Is there a user setting for this somewhere I am unaware of?

Before I get slapped down just keep in mind I only complain because I love Sage so much overall : )
Old 07-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

I also don't like the scrollbars.
+1 for Sage to change this behaviour!

Using SageTV 7.1.9, Java 1.6.0_24 Win7 Home Premium on an
Asus M4N78-AM Mainboard, AMD Athlon II X2 215, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 2xTechnoTrend S-2400 as Network Encoder (LM DVB Smart Recorder), ATI Radeon HD 3450 with analog TV-Out on good old CRT TV (100Hz)
My avatar shows the world's best composer!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Another vote for standard scroll bar behavior.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

+1 for the option to use standard scrollbars !
Old 07-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Sage Icon

It was originally designed as a page up/page down function. Open your web browser and hit the page up/down keys, it does the same thing. In later versions, SageTV added the ability to scroll through the pages with the scroll bar, but it is still the page scroll bar and not the 3 line scroll bar you are used to. So to change it, they need to go back and implement a smooth or specified number of increments scroll bar.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:22 PM
SageTVaholic

+1

I use Sage all the time and have for a year but this still trips me up all the time.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:37 AM
SageTVaholic

The few times I've touched a mouse to sage, I've noticed this inconsistancy as well. Would be nice if it was fixed.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-23-2009, 06:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
It was originally designed as a page up/page down function. Open your web browser and hit the page up/down keys, it does the same thing. In later versions, SageTV added the ability to scroll through the pages with the scroll bar, but it is still the page scroll bar and not the 3 line scroll bar you are used to. So to change it, they need to go back and implement a smooth or specified number of increments scroll bar.
The only thing Sage would have to change is the click behaviour with the mouse on the scrollbar, simply do a PgDown if clicked under current position, so a PgUp if clicked above current position. This way every scrollbar under Windows work. I don't thing this would break anything.

Using SageTV 7.1.9, Java 1.6.0_24 Win7 Home Premium on an
Asus M4N78-AM Mainboard, AMD Athlon II X2 215, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 2xTechnoTrend S-2400 as Network Encoder (LM DVB Smart Recorder), ATI Radeon HD 3450 with analog TV-Out on good old CRT TV (100Hz)
My avatar shows the world's best composer!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Sage Icon

Also, the hight of the scroll bars do not follow convention. If there is only 1.25 pages the scroll bar should extend to 80% of the available area. If there are 4 pages of information the scroll bar should only be 25% of the available area. This convention tells you how many pages of info with just a glance.

S
Old 07-26-2009, 03:16 AM
Sage Expert

Mac scrollbars work this way. Why follow 90% of the world when you can follow 10%?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

I for one LOVE the scroll to here function, and I turn it on for all my computers!