SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Arrow STV Import: Phoenix Fanart for the Default STV

This is a port of Tiki's "Fanart for the Default STV" that now utilizes the Phoenix Fanart API. You MUST install the Batch Metadata Tool (from stuckless) and import the BMI Tools STVi (from Tiki) BEFORE you import this or bad things will happen.

To install this STVi, just put the .stvi in your ../SageTV/SageTV/STVs/SageTV3 directory and import it. MAKE SURE the BMI Tools STVi and BMT are installed before this STVi. (See instructions below.)

Once you have imported the STVi you can configure things in the Setup->Detailed Setup Metadata / Fanart panel.

Some notes:

- Place your Genre fanart in CENTRAL_FOLDER/Genres/genre_name/Banners and CENTRAL_FOLDER/Genres/genre_name/Backgrounds where genre_name corresponds to a valid Sage Category or SubCategory. You can have as many background and banner images as you like. Genre posters are not currently supported.

- Place your Actor fanart in CENTRAL_FOLDER/Actors/actor_name. You can have as many actor images as you like.

- Place your music fanart backgrounds in CENTRAL_FOLDER/Music where each .jpg corresponds to a band name.

Download here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=330

Installation summary:

- Note: This STVi requires build 57 or later of the phoenix APIs. As of this posting stuckless' Batch Metadata Tool comes with an earlier version of the phoenix APIs so installing this STVi requires updating the phoenix APIs. Once stuckless updates the Batch Metadata Tool to use the latest phoenix API this step will not be necessary.

- Download Tiki's BMITools from here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=355

- Download the latest Batch Matadata Tool from here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...light=metadata Make sure you go to the LAST POST to get the latest release.

- Download the Jetty starter from here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ighlight=Jetty

- The STVi requires build 57 (or later) of the phoenix APIs. Download from here: http://code.google.com/p/sagephoenix...q=#makechanges As of this posting build 57 is still beta so check here to see if there is a later build: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=312

- Shutdown Sage completely.

- Unzip all of the above packages per their instructions. (Usually c:/Program Files/SageTV/SageTV). Make sure you unzip the phoenix APIs AFTER you unzip stuckless' Batch MetaData Tool.

- Edit the JettyStarter.properties file (in the install directory) to select an available port. Edit the line that reads "jetty.port=xxxx". If you are using neilm's web server make sure you do not use the same port.

- Edit the sage.properties file. Find the line that reads: "load_at_startup_runnable_classes=" and add "sagex.jetty.starter.Main". If there is already something on that line add the jetty entry at the end and separate it with a semicolon.

- Add the following two lines to the sage.properties file:
Code:
mediafile_metadata_parser_plugins=org.jdna.sage.MetadataUpdaterPlugin 
custom_metadata_properties=MediaProviderDataID;MediaTitle;MediaType;OriginalAirDate;EpisodeTitle;EpisodeNumber;SeasonNumber;DiscNumber;UserRating
- Restart Sage. Import Tiki's BMITools STVi. There is no need to import stuckless' Metadata Tool STVi.

If you've done everything correctly you should be able to access the BMT web-based configuration via your browser by entering http://COMPUTER:####/bmt where COMPUTER is the name of the computer (or IP address) where you installed BMT and #### is the port number you specified in the JettyStarter.properties file.

If you are using a SageClient you DO need to install Tiki's BMITools STVi on the client as well as the server but you do NOT need to install the jetty starter on the client. You also do NOT need to add anything into the .properties file.

The only setting that you MUST set is the fanart central folder location. You can do that via the web interface or Sage. (Go to Setup->Detailed Setup and you will see a new "Metadata / Fanart" entry on the left side.) I'd recommend using a UNC path (//COMPUTERNAME/...) to point to the central fanart folder instead of an absolute path (C:/...).

After setting the central fanart folder you will probably want to use the web interface to do a scan to get all of the latest fanart. If you have a large collection the scan can be slow but your patience will be rewarded.

Version History:

v1.6
  • Requires phoenix API build 57 which can be found here:
  • Requires TiKi's BMITools STVi instead of stuckless' MetaDataFanartTools STVi.
  • Added support for Genres. Note that if you create folders called CENTRALFOLDER/Genre/Default/Banners and CENTRALFOLDER/Genre/Default/Backgrounds and then place images in them, all of your shows will have fanart.
  • Added support for Actors. If no images "phoenix" images or "Tiki" images are found, it will try to display actor images as a background.
  • Extends Tiki's BMITools to support the viewing and editing of Actor images as well as Category and SubCategory Genre images.
  • Experimental Feature: If you set the property pffd/advanced_matching to true it will try to find background images that contain the title of the show. For example, if the show title is "Marry Poppins" it will match things like "marypoppins.jpg", "marypoppins-Hi-Res.jpg", and "Mary Poppins 1080.jpg".

v1.5
  • Better menu titles for DVD and BluRay discs.
  • Better error handling.

v1.4
  • Fixed a bug that caused the STV to revert back to version 2009072401.

v1.3
  • If a poster or background fanart image is available it will display it in the thumbnail area.

v1.2

- Fixed a bug that caused the show title to not be completely displayed if no banner was available.

- Fixed a bug that prevented BluRay disc fanart from being properly displayed.

- Added support to display random banner (if available) while browsing the program guide.

- If no phoenix background or Tiki background is found it will now look for phoenix posters and use those as a background.

- Added support for Default backgrounds. If no backgrounds or posters are found it will use images stored in CENTRAL_FOLDER/Genres/Default as backgrounds.

v1.1

- If no Phoenix backgrounds are found it will now look for backgrounds in same locations as Tiki's import before defaulting to the Genre background.

- If there are multiple phoenix banners or backgrounds a random one will be displayed every 5 seconds.

v1.0

- Fixed bug that caused some backgrounds to be black.

- If no Phoenix banners are found it will now look for banners in same locations as Tiki's import before defaulting to Genre banner.

v0.01

- Initial release

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.

Last edited by tmiranda; 01-31-2010 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Added BMT install instructions.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:56 PM
SageTVaholic

You seem to be hard at at just out of curiosity are you having anyone test this stvi's before releasing them? sure can save you allot of headaches with issues that might crop up.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Plucky,

Are you volunteering?

Now that this one is done I do not plan to work on another for a while. I have vacation scheduled for next week and I wanted to get this out so that I will have a few days to fix any major bugs that may come up.

Tom

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:34 AM
SageTVaholic

I found a bug that causes some backgrounds to be black. I'll post a fix later tonight.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Meant to tell you nice job on this. Ever since moving to the latest BMT I missed having the fanart in the default STV. This has brought me back.
Quote:
Known issue: Jump straight to detailed info screen is broken on clients. It seems to work on placeshifters and extenders.
I'll take a look at this to see if I can figure out what's wrong with it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Sage User

I also want to say thanks for this. I missed the fanart as well in the default ui. Great work!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Glad you both like it.

@gplasky - The code is ugly in places (my fault, not Tiki's) but I am cleaning it up. If you want to fix the bug I found last night search for phoenix and change it to pheonix

I am also working on implementing a more robust, and readable, search algorithm so that if no phoenix banners/backgrounds are found it will look in the same places that Tiki's STVi uses before defaulting to Genre fanart. I've noticed that my collection of fanart contains images that BMT does not find. I've got it working for banners and am working on the backgrounds.

I also need to put in some checks for 0 byte fanart files because sometimes BMT downloads .jpg's that are 0 bytes in size.

I'm toying with the idea of adding a function that scans the guide data and downloads the fanart so that if you browse the guide you will be able to see fanart for shows you have not yet watched. I don't know if this is a big job or not...

Let me know if there is anyting else that you would like to see.

Tom

Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Sage User

What about animated transitions between multiple fanart backgrounds?

I know that right now when I check out the info it has one piece of fanart then if I click away and check back again a different background is displayed ... But would it be possible to have it cycle through the backgrounds like every 5 seconds or something while I'm reading the info? Just a thought.

Again thanks for all your hard work.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Glad you both like it.

@gplasky - The code is ugly in places (my fault, not Tiki's) but I am cleaning it up. If you want to fix the bug I found last night search for phoenix and change it to pheonix

I am also working on implementing a more robust, and readable, search algorithm so that if no phoenix banners/backgrounds are found it will look in the same places that Tiki's STVi uses before defaulting to Genre fanart. I've noticed that my collection of fanart contains images that BMT does not find. I've got it working for banners and am working on the backgrounds.

I also need to put in some checks for 0 byte fanart files because sometimes BMT downloads .jpg's that are 0 bytes in size.

I'm toying with the idea of adding a function that scans the guide data and downloads the fanart so that if you browse the guide you will be able to see fanart for shows you have not yet watched. I don't know if this is a big job or not...

Let me know if there is anyting else that you would like to see.

Tom
Do have show errors check in studio you would have caught that phoenix error

Also autodownloading fanart I am working on that already if you would like to combine forces. Currently Sagemc does this with IMDB but I am working on getting bmt to do it automatically for an addin I am working on.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Sean, That's a cool idea. I'll put it on the "to think about" list.

Plucky, How do I do error checkinig in Studio? As for the fanart auto-download, what are you working on doing? When you say you are "getting BMT to do it automatically" doesn't it already do that? Sorry for the confusion.

Are you referring to having BMT auto-download fanart for recorded shows? As far as I can tell it does not do that right now, but some people seem to infer that it does. (I think it does auto-download recorded TV under Linux but not Windows.)

I'm all for combining forces if we are trying to do the same things.

Tom

Old 08-04-2009, 12:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Are you referring to having BMT auto-download fanart for recorded shows? As far as I can tell it does not do that right now, but some people seem to infer that it does. (I think it does auto-download recorded TV under Linux but not Windows.)

Tom
I'm on Windows and BMT grabs the fanart for recorded TV shows. What it doesn't grab is fanart for movies recorded from TV.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Sean, That's a cool idea. I'll put it on the "to think about" list.

Plucky, How do I do error checkinig in Studio? As for the fanart auto-download, what are you working on doing? When you say you are "getting BMT to do it automatically" doesn't it already do that? Sorry for the confusion.

Tom
In studio go to tools and click on "notify on errors"

I am talking about auto download based on guid listings if you don't have the fanart.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:39 PM
SageTVaholic

I just uploaded a new version that fixes the bug causing sporadic black banners. If no phoenix banners are found it also will now look in the same locations as Tiki's STVi for the banners before defaulting the a Genre banner.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
I'm on Windows and BMT grabs the fanart for recorded TV shows. What it doesn't grab is fanart for movies recorded from TV.

Gerry
OK, I'll have to check this again. I was running an older version and just upgraded to the newest. Hopefully that will work.

@Sean977 - It is easy to get the backgrounds/banners to change without using transitions. I have another version in the works and when that is ready I'll add this feature. Maybe Friday night.

I haven't spent much time looking at how to animate the fanart. I'm going on vacation on Saturday and will look at it when I get back. Thanks for the good suggestion.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Question regarding web interface

I have some movies that won't get the fanart/metadata while scanning. How do I resolve these. See attached image.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greenshot_2009-08-06_09-43-36.jpg (83.4 KB, 592 views)
Old 08-06-2009, 11:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Please clarify what you mean by "won't get".

If BMT can't find a reliable match it will not download any fanart. If that's what happening you can select the item (from the sage UI) and one fo the options is to fetch fanart. That will give you a list of closest matches for you to choose from.

Sometimes BMT finds the movie, but there is simply no fanart available for it. If that's what's happening you can try changing the metadat provider or you can create some fanart yourself and upload it to themovedb.com

Tom

Old 08-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

It doesn't download any fanart or metadata for some movies. I click on "find metadata" and pick one from the list. It fills in the fields on the right, but how do I save that information?

Thanks

Last edited by zakrzep; 08-06-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Version 1.1 has been uploaded.

- If no Phoenix backgrounds are found it will now look for backgrounds in same locations as Tiki's import before defaulting to the Genre background.

- If there are multiple phoenix banners or backgrounds a random one will be displayed every 5 seconds.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakrzep View Post
It doesn't download any fanart or metadata for some movies. I click on "find metadata" and pick one from the list. It fills in the fields on the right, but how do I save that information?

Thanks
I have to admit that I have not used the web interface that much and don't know the answer to your question. I usually use the UI (Options->Metadata/fanart) to fetch missing fanart.

You should probably ask stuckless in the Batch Metadata Importer thread.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Note: I will be on vacation starting tomorrow and will not have internet access. I'll be back in about a week.