SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-25-2009, 09:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

Some DVD's aren't playing, no error.

So I can/have played with the video decoders and can typically troubleshoot my playback errors myself. This one has me stumped though, I'm not really even sure where to start on it.

Recently my wife went to play back a move she had ripped a week ago or so and never tested. The Sage UI showed up like it was starting, but all we ever got was a black screen. I tried playing back several other DVD's to see what happens and everything works just fine, just a few new movies aren't working and all produce a black screen (does not lock up).

More testing seems to indicate that it's just the 2-3 movies she ripped sometime last week. I ask if she changed anything and it's possible the version of DVDFab that she was using to rip was upgraded to a newer version. However, that shouldn't matter it's just ripping the movie no edits.

I tried opening these movies (single files) in WMP and it works just fine. I tried using Power DvD and selecting open from hard drive and it opens the DVD and plays just fine. I've set sage to use the Sage DVD decoder, the Power DVD decoder, and Default. All three produce a black screen on these specific movies.

So where do I go now? Sage works same as always on older items. It's just the 2-3 movies she added to the server to watch this week that were a problem.

In case it matters. I'm watching these off of a NAS, all of the movies are in the same directory (both working and non-working movies). I've checked and Video_TS and Audio_TS folders are present in working and non-working movies. As I said Power DVD has no problem playing them.

So now what? It doesn't look like a decoder problem. I can't find anything different with these movies from every other movie she's put on the NAS. I'm kind of stumped now.

Oh and one of the movies is "Run lola run" so it's not exactly a new title.

Other:
Mitsubishi 65" DLP
5.1 Speakers on a Kenwood Receiver - Digital SPDIF
Harmony 1000