SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV United Kingdom
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV United Kingdom SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from the UK - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in the UK.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

Digiguide run as a service on WHS

Has anyone done this using the any service add-in. After building my new server i want to get everything sorted so after a reboot i dont need to login to run digiguide.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdisco View Post
Has anyone done this using the any service add-in. After building my new server i want to get everything sorted so after a reboot i dont need to login to run digiguide.
+1

This would indeed be very handy. Everytime I reboot I always have to start Digiguide manually otherwise it just wont work. I do have it setup to run on startup and the icon is always in the taskbar but alas it still needs to be run manually.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

++1 I have even tried to get my server to send me an email when it re-boots to remind me to re-start it. However, it is trying to run the startup script before the network is up at the moment. Hacking with policies going on as we speak to get the network up earlier in the boot cycle.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobarsteward View Post
++1 I have even tried to get my server to send me an email when it re-boots to remind me to re-start it. However, it is trying to run the startup script before the network is up at the moment. Hacking with policies going on as we speak to get the network up earlier in the boot cycle.
How about adding something like 'sleep 120' to the script. That would be easier than changing policies.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have DG running on WHS set to start with windows and I've never had an issue with it not starting after a WHS reboot

Whitey
Old 09-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
I have DG running on WHS set to start with windows and I've never had an issue with it not starting after a WHS reboot

Whitey
How do you get it start without logging into windows i have DG in the start folder but that only gets actioned when i log in.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Der!

That's a good idea! Being a real-time software engineer, putting delays into software to make it work has always been frowned upon but, I guess, in this instance, I sure I could give it a try. And it's not as if anyone else will know about it, will they

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
How about adding something like 'sleep 120' to the script. That would be easier than changing policies.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

@doc I notice you've got a rather interesting setup (sorry about the hijack but it is relevant) you have dvbs and dvbt. I've recently given up on that combo going simply for dvbt because I found it just too much trouble combining channels between the 2, using stephans importer etc... then channel freq etc would change and I'd have to do a rescan on the dvbs and sort my 30 odd fav channels out from the 500+ it finds, re-join some of them with the dvbt etc etc etc etc all while keeping digiguide up to date supplying the epg....

Do you have a "best practices" type of approach that minimises all this work? I've been using sage for about 2 years now and I'm yet to find a quick and easy method.

SageTV HD200 extender
Various client and place shifters.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker View Post
@doc I notice you've got a rather interesting setup (sorry about the hijack but it is relevant) you have dvbs and dvbt. I've recently given up on that combo going simply for dvbt because I found it just too much trouble combining channels between the 2, using stephans importer etc... then channel freq etc would change and I'd have to do a rescan on the dvbs and sort my 30 odd fav channels out from the 500+ it finds, re-join some of them with the dvbt etc etc etc etc all while keeping digiguide up to date supplying the epg....

Do you have a "best practices" type of approach that minimises all this work? I've been using sage for about 2 years now and I'm yet to find a quick and easy method.
Thats interesting im about to put up a dish this weekend, ive had a DVB-S card for ages but never got round to putting the dish up. I guess i'll then start getting the problems your talking about. i thought as long you have the same channel name sage only puts one entry per channel in the guide.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Sage Expert

I've got dvb-s & dvb-t too. It took a bit of fiddling but wasn't too hard. This link's pretty handy :

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...8&postcount=53

I just started building a new server with 6.6.2 and am about to add the DVB-S card (DVB-T working fine) the new channel tuning stuff in 6.6.2 made things easier. You can remap stuff a lot easier now
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 09-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
I also use DVB-T and DVB-S, although I dont use the same channels for each. DVB-T Does all the regular channels e.g Freeview and the DVB-S cards just tune to channels which are not available on DVB-T e.g BBCHD. Seems a bit of a waste not to use all the channels that are available via Freesat but my thinking was that six freeview tuners would cover all the channles that I would want to record at any one time.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker View Post
I have a method I use as like you say here are hundreds of channels out there.

I'll knock up a guide over the weekend. I don't know if it will help or not, and if someone knows a better way they can let me know

Last edited by doc; 09-11-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
+1

This would indeed be very handy. Everytime I reboot I always have to start Digiguide manually otherwise it just wont work. I do have it setup to run on startup and the icon is always in the taskbar but alas it still needs to be run manually.
I start Digiguide from task scheduler about 10 minutes before I start Stephanes importer. The DigiGuide task has a terminate after 2 hours clause to end it. It works fine.

Am I missing something? I run Server 2003 not WHS.
Client3: ABIT IC7, P4 2.4, 512MB RAM, XP Pro.
Client4: ABIT AI7, Celeron 2.4, 512MB RAM, XP Pro.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartley9 View Post
I start Digiguide from task scheduler about 10 minutes before I start Stephanes importer. The DigiGuide task has a terminate after 2 hours clause to end it. It works fine.

Ive now done the same as you with the task to run as administrator and ill see if it updates tonight. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartley9 View Post

Well ive been running like this for a few days now and looks like its working. No more worrying about update reboots when i go on holiday.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I'm trying to set this up, and would just like to request a bit more info.

when adding the schedual event, do you just run the digiguide.exe file (i.e. without any switches etc)?

i can make this work (running as admin, i.e. i don't have to log on)

Do you find that Digiguide will auto update when it starts? or do you add a timed update to it's advanced options?

I'm not familiar with how to get the:
Quote:
terminate after 2 hours clause
I am assuming that this then closes the digiguide app after 2 hours (so that it can be re-started again tomorrow) can you please explain how to actually do this?

Thanks

mevans
Server: ASUS P7P55D, Core i5 750 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, Antec Three Hundred, 1x TBS 6284 PCI-E DVB-T2 Quad (OTA HD 'Freeview'), 2x HD Homerun dual tuners (OTA SD 'Freeview'), WHS OS installed on Seagate 250GB SATAII, Recording to 9TB Storage Pool (64k clusters)
SageTV version: 7.1.9
HDHomerun's plugged into mobo NIC via giga switch
2nd NIC to home network
Program Guide: DigiGuide Birtles Grabber XMLTV Importer for SageTV
Clients: Two HD200, One HD300, Client on PC, Placeshifter on PC
Old 01-24-2011, 04:58 AM
Sage User

This thread has gone quiet. Has anyone got this to work reliably on WHS with no user logged in?

Digiguide as an app. closes when you log off. I am trying it as a service using AnyServiceInstaller. Whilst the Digiguide web server runs when not logged in to WHS & you can create an xml file using Alan Birtles exporter, I'm not convinced that Digiguide is updating its schedules.

People have said that they start Digiguide from a scheduled task, but does this actually work if no user is logged in?

I am in the process of checking if this works by scheduling a Digiguide update through the advanced settings.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
People have said that they start Digiguide from a scheduled task, but does this actually work if no user is logged in?
Yes it does. in the windows task scheduler, set it to "run as", and you have to give your username and password. ensure that the "Run only if logged on" box is UN-checked (!)

Just run "C:\Program Files\DigiGuide TV Guide\Client.exe" (or wherever it is installed) (i have set this to run at 03:50 every day)

digiguide will update the guide (i have set it to update every day at 04:00 (from within the digiguide app)).

then schedule a grab using whichever grabber you are using. (i do this everyday at 04:15)

then kill the digiguide task (so that it will run again tomorrow) using the task schedualer to run the command "taskkill /IM digiguide.exe" (i do it at 05:30)

hope this helps

M
Server: ASUS P7P55D, Core i5 750 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, Antec Three Hundred, 1x TBS 6284 PCI-E DVB-T2 Quad (OTA HD 'Freeview'), 2x HD Homerun dual tuners (OTA SD 'Freeview'), WHS OS installed on Seagate 250GB SATAII, Recording to 9TB Storage Pool (64k clusters)
SageTV version: 7.1.9
HDHomerun's plugged into mobo NIC via giga switch
2nd NIC to home network
Program Guide: DigiGuide Birtles Grabber XMLTV Importer for SageTV
Clients: Two HD200, One HD300, Client on PC, Placeshifter on PC
Old 01-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the very prompt reply. I'll give it a shot overnight.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevans View Post
then kill the digiguide task (so that it will run again tomorrow) using the task schedualer to run the command "taskkill /IM digiguide.exe"
I tried this and it didn't work for me. When I ran that command from a prompt it told my why - it said I needed to add a "/F" switch to forcefully terminate the task.

So now I run "taskkill /F /IM digiguide.exe" and it works.