SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Sage Icon

Strange behavior

I am happy to say that it’s been a long time since I had to post a “strange occurrence” here, but unfortunately, I do. Probably not coincidentally, I recently updated to the latest version of Sage and latest firmware for my extenders.

There’s no short way to explain this, but I’ll try to break it down to all the required info:

My wife records the Rachael Ray show as a favorite. Info/background:
-No specific channel designated. It airs on two channels that we receive (two different cities, OTA, HDHRs).
-It is always the same show, every day, on the two channels (she doesn’t care which one she gets)
-I have tuner priority settings. Apparently it has been recording on the “wrong” (lower priority) channel, but we didn’t really care.

Since the software update, the channels from one or my two HDHRs – which has an antenna aimed at one of the two cities – have been very slow to tune. They used to tune almost instantly, but since updating the software, I get a “no signal” message for about three seconds, and then the channel is found. One of the channels, however, is very choppy and unwatchable. This could have nothing to do with Sage so I am not blaming this on anything yet, but it just led me to discover this issue... Unfortunately, this is one of the channels that shows Rachael Ray. So the simple solution (at least until I figure out what is wrong with the channel or tuner) would be to set the favorite to only record on the “good” station, right? There are no conflicts or concurrent recordings at all.

So, here’s the strange behavior I am seeing:
-Scheduled recordings list has show set to record from the “bad” station (despite priority).
-There is no red “F” for favorite. Huh? There is no other reason why it should be recording!
-Intelligent recording is off, it’s not a manual recording, there’s no keyword reference causing it to record (though this would be shown as a “favorite” too).
-Clicking on “record options” gives the option to “add as a favorite”. So it doesn’t think it’s a favorite… yet it’s only scheduled, in the first place, because it is a favorite!

I go into the favorites settings and set it to record on ONLY the “good” station. Nothing changes in the scheduled recordings – it’s still shown for the “bad” station, with no red “F”.

I go back and completely delete the Favorite…. this makes the scheduled recording disappear. So it was obviously only there because it was a favorite.

I create the favorite again from scratch, and again set it to only record on the “good” station. When I go back to the scheduled recordings, it’s back – but still on the “bad” station, and with no red “F” (just as before). This is obviously a repeatable, reproducible error.

Anyone seen anything like this?

(p.s. I was able to temporarily fix it by manually recording the show on the "good" channel, which made the "bad" channel listing disappear... but this is not a desirable permanent solution!)
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hey PJ3,

I've also been seeing some similar behavior with Favorites acting odd. If I look at the schedule for upcoming recordings for something like 30 Rock, the schedule will show that Sage is going to record all airings of the same episode during the same timeslot (on satellite, there may be 6 or more airings spread across several channels and Sage will think it's going to record all of them).

Similarly, the "currently recording" listing will actually show Sage recording 2 different shows on the same tuner on 2 different channels. At the end of the alloted recording time, only one of those shows will have been captured of course.

As mentioned in my other post here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45105 my fix to the "Halt Detected" errors was to completely uninstall Sage and all of my customizations and reinstall with my saved Wiz.bin (but not Sage.properties) and I have also noticed that the schedule conflicts have disappeared too along with the tuner errors.

Final note, a few weeks ago, I upgraded my HDHR to their newest Beta load and have actually seen it lock into some of the fringe channels better. I've got a few that I pick up that are 80+ miles away and they seem to be more reliable.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

A possible work around, presuming nothing else is being recorded on the "bad" channel, would be to disable the "bad" channel under the channel listings.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
A possible work around, presuming nothing else is being recorded on the "bad" channel, would be to disable the "bad" channel under the channel listings.
"Workaround", sure. But not "fix".
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.