SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:50 AM
Sage User

Linux SageTV OEM not recognising DVB-T HDHomeRun on Ubuntu 9.10 Server (64-bit)

I recently purchased a HDHomeRun DVB-T version Dual Tuner from the Australian importer and have not been able to get it working with Linux SageTV since receiving it over a week ago.

I decided to invest in a HDHR as my Hauppauge HVR-2200 cards were too fiddly to keep configuring under Linux each time I upgraded distros / kernel versions (I'll wait for the Linux drivers to mature a little more). So the HDHR is a nice 'driver-less' replacement; so I assumed.

My current setup is a Ubuntu 64-bit Server 9.10 with SageTV for Linux OEM (Ver 6.6.2). Using ia32-libs and ia32-sun-java6-bin packages, this has been working flawlessly (with adequate XFS LVM datastore to boot).

However, when adding a new source, SageTV stalls with message “please wait while the channel lineup is downloaded for hdhomerun”; it doesn't recover. I can restart Plachshifter and bypass adding the new source, however when I add the source later, I don't get the option of selecting which DVB region I wish to use.

On further investigation of the "Sage.properties" file, it is evident the “mmc/encoders/-1286022648/broadcast_standard=” has not been set correctly. Also in the “native.log” file, it complains the “HDHomeRun 1210bac1 Tuner 0-0-.frq” file can't be opened or found. These items appear to be a follow-on issue, as the “DVB-T” value is supposed to be set in both the “broadcast_standard=” and freq filename.

I have downloaded and applied the lastest firmware from the SiliconDust website (ver DVB-T 20091024), and followed the Linux configuration guides located here:
(really nothing useful here for AU DVB-T users).

I have also updated all the STVs in SageTV, up to ver 2009111701 and followed the configuration guide located here:
To validate the HDHR is working correctly, I can use the “hdhomerun_config_gui” application to scan and stream TV channels to VLC, without any issues.

To validate SageTV issues, I installed a Win32 XP VM on top of my Linux server, and installed the Windows ver of SageTV (two SageTV server instances on same hardware – bridged NICs). Placeshifter successfully connected to SageTV XP VM and successfully connected to, and tuned the HDHR channels. However, Placeshifter did not have the same success when connecting to the Linux SageTV instance.

Windows ver allowed me to config DVB region, Linux ver did not.

Output from “native.log” file:

Code:
11/18/2009 20:19:17  TSSplitter ver 1.71
11/18/2009 20:19:17  ptsfix is enabled by default.
11/18/2009 20:19:17  QAM Cache is disabled
11/18/2009 20:19:17  Channel is open (ver 3.0.1)
11/18/2009 20:19:17  DTVChannel: new instance (0xde9be918)
11/18/2009 20:19:17  DTVChannel::setTuning: mode Air, channel 
11/18/2009 20:19:17  setTuning: isCable 0, isHrc 0, isOTAQAM 0, isUserDefined 0
11/18/2009 20:19:17  setTuning: mode = Air, output format = 0, country code = 61
11/18/2009 20:19:17  Can't open 'HDHomeRun 1210bac1 Tuner 0-0-.frq' to load scan data for tuner.
11/18/2009 20:19:17  Unknow source type for initialize frq table 
11/18/2009 20:19:17  Failure loading frequency table (2)
11/18/2009 20:19:17  Configured DTV source type:
I haven't yet been able to get Linux SageTV to scan for any channels, so unsure if FRQ file will be created ok and import the scan results into SageTV lineup.

So after all that, I assume this is a bug in Linux SageTV; I will log a job and cross-ref this post.

One issue I did note, but wasn't sure about.... Windows has a dedicated “setup” application for the HDHR, not just the hdhomerun_config_gui. I assume the Linux SageTV server has the appropriate libraries and interface into the HDHR to make these relevant changes, hence why there is no dedicated “setup” application?
Old 11-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Sage User

I've logged a job on this one and already sent some logs and further info through to support.

Having a look through the forums a little further, it appears basically that SageTV does not yet have support for DVB-T HDHomeRun tuners in their Linux version, as this (much older) post is exactly the same issue as I have: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41273 However I'm in Australia, not New Zealand (but same technology and broadcast standards).

I must agree with akawoz's thread, there is no reference on anyone's site or documentation regarding DVB-T versions of HDHomeRun not fully supported by Linux SageTV. So I wonder if there are other users in DVB-T regions having these same SageTV issues?

Hopefully this will be resolved soon and DVB-T support added.

To help resolve this, I'm happy to beta test any DVB-T HDHomeRun development or code releases for Linux version.

I tried to respond to Donkey's post here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44668 but I don't seem to have permissions to PM him.

So to put my hand up, wave and draw attention.... HAPPY TO BETA TEST ... ;-)
Old 12-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Sage User

Hey All,

Just a quick update on this thread, I did log a job with Tech Spt a while back, who in turn advised that support for Silicon Dust's HDHomerun DVB-T version has not yet been added to the Linux version of SageTV Media Centre; so currently I have a nice paper weight

However to cut a long story short, I have been BETA testing with Qian (aka "Donkey") some of their latest HDHR / SageTV libraries, with increasing success.

So hopefully soon, HDHR DVB-T edition will be fully supported by SageTV.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Sage User

Beta Testers Wanted - Linux DVB-T HDHR Users

Just thought I'd post another update on this thread.

The SageTV Devs have been working extremely hard to write code for the new DVB-T version of the HDHR to get it working in SageTV Media Centre for Linux.

I've been beta testing their code releases with increasing success, and providing feedback on any issues or bugs that may be still outstanding in completing the integration.

Currently Linux SageTV connects to the DVB-T HDHR, scans channels, records shows (manual and favourites), collects EPG channel data, streams to Placeshifter and HD200 clients, and most other functions expected of any SageTV integrated HD tuner. The picture quality is outstanding when viewed on a new LED LCD Full HD screen....

Most importantly, once fully supported, you will have a fantastic TV tuner unit that doesn't need to have any kernel drivers installed in order for it to work in Linux.... perfect setup for new Linux users that want a stable and easy to configure system.

However.... at the moment there is still a little more work to be done before the new code is production ready, and will need to go through more beta testing to iron out some minor defects / bugs.

Although I've given a fair amount of time over the Christmas break, I will be returning to work shortly (and moving house) and won't be able to continue beta testing at my current rate (so development may slow down).

So I thought I'd see if there are any Linux SageTV DVB-T users out there that have considered purchasing a Silicon Dust DVB-T HDHR tuner. If so, please consider doing it sooner and assisting with some beta test work. The code is currently working at the moment, so you won't be wasting your money on the HDHR, it just needs a little assistance in testing.

If anyone in a DVB-T region can assist... Australia, New Zealand, Europe etc... please send "donkey" a PM, or post a response here and we'll get back to you.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:13 PM

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, but have been running SageTV for a year and a half now. I'm also based in Australia.

I am building my dad a SageTV server which I'm hoping we can run on Linux.

I wanted to use two HDHomeRun's as the tuners to minimise the number of things I need Linux drivers for.

Has support for the DVBT version of the HDHomeRun progressed any since this last post?

milesbrennan: Are you using it as your primary tuner day to day?

If it were my own setup I would happily beta test it (I might anyway depending on where support is at), but I'm not sure my dad would want his TV freezing up periodically.

Regards,
Brett
Old 05-08-2010, 06:04 AM
Sage User

G'Day Brett,

Unfortunately dev on DVB-T HDHR has stalled and my two HDHR units are just sitting in the corner collecting dust now.

However for me, the latest Ubuntu 10.04 LTS now has built in DVB-T drivers for the Hauppaugge HVR-2200 PCI-E Dual Tuner cards (which I have two of). They are only Digital drivers (no analog channels) but that works fine for me.

Advantage of HVR-2200 is they are a single coax lead for each card, so you only need 2 coax leads, not four with the 2 x HDHRs.

I run a dedicated high end server 64bit server with SageTV, then run Windows and other OSs on top using VMWare Server 2.02, so its all in one for me, but might be too complex for your dad - unless he's technical.

But best of luck with your build.

Cheers,
Miles
Old 05-09-2010, 08:11 PM

That sounds excellent. I might go that route.

In terms of client's connecting, while somewhat off topic, do you use the HD-200 to access Sage?
How many client's do you have running off of the one instance?

I am hoping that with some serious RAID I can have 4 HD-200's coming off of one linux box all watching different shows/files while recording up to 4 shows at once.

Am I dreaming?

Thanks again,
Brett
Old 05-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Sage User

That's exactly what I do, use 4 x HD200s connected to Wireless N home network, works perfectly.

I have 7 x 1TB HDDs in server - 1st as "/", then remaining 6 as a single LVM2 partition using the XFS file system, mounted as "/storage".

I'm running a Gigabyte EX58-DS4 mobo with plenty of SATA connectors (i7 + 6GB RAM).
Old 05-09-2010, 09:42 PM

That's excellent. Thanks so much for the speedy response.

Time to spec out a server and start buying parts.

Thanks again,
Brett
Old 05-09-2010, 09:45 PM

Also,

Sounds like you are running LVM with raid across your 6 storage disks? If so, are you using RAID 5?
Old 05-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Sage User

No RAID - LVM2 is kernel based, so its like one big disk - no redundancy.

I run rsync to my Linux based NAS over gigabit, as my backup - that's RAID5.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

lol, glad you are at least backing up. I use to have a setup similar to yours, one drive goes you loose everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesbrennan View Post
No RAID - LVM2 is kernel based, so its like one big disk - no redundancy.

I run rsync to my Linux based NAS over gigabit, as my backup - that's RAID5.
Capture Devices: HD Homerun (QAM), Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500 MCE, HVR1800 & HVR 980 (collecting dust)
Clients: 2 x HD200 (beta firmware-latest), 2 Laptops & PC's running Client 7.0.16RC
NAS: Software Raid + LVM
Storage: 2 x 500gigs @ Raid1, 2 x 1TB @ Raid1, 2 x 1.5TB @ Raid1
Old 05-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenwesi View Post
lol, glad you are at least backing up. I use to have a setup similar to yours, one drive goes you loose everything.
Actually he has Mirroring (rsync) + RAID 5. He would have to loose 3 disks to loose everything. 1 in his primary source and 2 in his RAID 5. I have similar setup with mirroring to RAID1 (most important data) and single backup disk (everything else).

TV: Samsung UN46D8000
Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 05-21-2010, 10:17 AM

Angry Too Bad

I have download and was reedy to purchase when I thought I would visit the fourm.

Thanks for the info on HDhomerun. Guess I will go back to myth. DARN http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/imag...onbanghead.gif
Old 05-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddude View Post
I have download and was reedy to purchase when I thought I would visit
the fourm.

Thanks for the info on HDhomerun. Guess I will go back to myth. DARN
Where are you located? The forum just says "reno" with no country, so
I'm assuming you're in the US.

SageTV works fine with the ATSC/QAM version of the HDHomerun sold in
the US.

This thread is about the DVB-T version of HDHomerun sold outside the
US. The DVB-T HDHR is several years newer than the ATSC/QAM HDHR, and
apparently the DVB-T version isn't yet supported by SageTV.

Tags
dvbt, hdhomerun, linux, region, server