SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Sage User

Looking for ideas for setting up kids views

One of the big reasons i went to sage several years ago was to help control what my kids watch. And it does, it has completely eliminated channel surfing and the like, but i want it to do still more.

I'm looking for ideas on how to setup a sage main manue and menu options that will have everything that my kids need and none of the stuff they don't. I've read through some forum posts and seen different solutions alluded to but not detailed. I have 4 HD extenders several PC clients and even an 2 old MediaMVPs and on some of them i really don't want shows like house and bones to show up in the list. I'd also like to exclude ripped DVDs like Rambo and only include the things that i want my kids to watch.

Is there some way in sage to create a custom tag, or category and apply it to shows, favorites or DVDs then create a filter view that only included those shows?

I've seen that some people seem to use folders, but i'm not sure how to create a sage recordings view that would use that. I also notice that everytime i move a recorded tv file between the recording folder and and video import folder sage marks it as archived when sees that, and i don't want it to do that for the kids shows.

At any rate, i apologize if there is a really clear and consise solution in another thread for this, but i couldn't find it. I would really appreciate hearing how those of you who use sage to help manage what your kids watch are doing it.

Thanks!

Chris
Old 06-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Sage User

I too as a former BeyondTv user really miss this. I had hoped to see this in the latest version. Ideally a custom category would exist such as "family" or "sister" that could be set from either the favorite setup or manually from a recording. Then through the use of Malore menus it could easily be filtered. Is there anyway to easily implement this? This has been a major pain as we have 3 users in the house with all different recording as the WAF is not so good as she has to scroll through all of the others to find her recordings. Possibly there is even some automated method such as SJQ that would be able to change or add a category, maybe something rarely used such as 'hiking' Then I could use that to filter.