SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-04-2010, 05:09 PM

Turn External Setup Box on from SageTV

Sage-TV turns channels just fine, but I want to leave the setup box off and have it only be turned on when sage-tv wants to record. Are there any settings? Its a AT&T U-verse service utilizing a Scientific Atlantic/Cisco IPN330HD

Thanks,
Old 01-04-2010, 05:31 PM
SageTVaholic

what are you using for the IR blaster? You can probably learn a power on command, and use it as a channel changing prefix.. however, depending on how long it takes to turn on before it can accept a channel command, and whether there are seperate on and off commands, it may not work. I guess teh big question is, what are you trying to accomplish by having them turn off? In most cases, modern STB's never really 'turn off', so there's no real power savings in doing so.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-05-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
what are you using for the IR blaster? You can probably learn a power on command, and use it as a channel changing prefix.. however, depending on how long it takes to turn on before it can accept a channel command, and whether there are seperate on and off commands, it may not work. I guess teh big question is, what are you trying to accomplish by having them turn off? In most cases, modern STB's never really 'turn off', so there's no real power savings in doing so.
Well I am using a Hauppage IR-blaster and the reason I do not want to leave the box on all the time is there are other boxes on the network and if two are viewing HD, then another box cannot view or record in HD (a U-Verse limitation). Still looking for soem help or work around

Thanks
Old 01-05-2010, 02:15 PM
SageTVaholic

You can set a prefix to your channel changes and that can be anything (for dish Network VIP211's we have to use the select command). With that said (and as Fuzzy stated), you have to be able to give a delay between when that prefix is sent and when the channel change can occur or else your STB won't be up and running.

You might try using one of the external IR blaster programs out there. The Home automation folks have to send all kinds of crazy commands and as long as you use a the plugin that works with them then you could probably do it.

The other issue is that you will also need to issue a command to turn off your STB when it is done recording. That actually is the more difficult issue as I am not sure Sage has any triggers to do that.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 01-05-2010, 03:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Another problem you're going to have is that Sage won't have any way of knowing when the other STBs are in use. So there will be times when it will try to record something but the STB refuses to allow it. I'm not familiar with how U-Verse handles this case but I'm guessing you'll probably end up with an hour's worth of error screen instead of the program you wanted.

If you're going to stick with U-Verse, it seems like your most foolproof option might be to replace the U-Verse STBs at your TVs with Sage extenders and do all your TV watching through Sage. Then you could give Sage complete control over two STBs without worrying about powering them on and off to avoid STB conflict.