SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Sage User

Can't get rid of subtitles in DVD

I have been having a problem when playing DVDs through sage. The subtitles will not turn off. I have tried rubbing, I have tried scrubbing, I still have those subtitles. Playing with the subtitle check box in the DVD options has no effect. Playing with the captions has no effect. Modifying it through the DVD itself has no effect.

This occurs whether I am playing the DVD through the DVD player of if I copy it onto the HDD and play it from there.

Its very frustrating.. anyone else experience this problem? It seems to happen to all my DVDs that have subtitles.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 02-09-2010, 09:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

You did not indicate, but if you see this behavior using an extender then updating the firmware will correct it. I had the same issue when I first got my extender and was using the firmware out of the box.

If you are not using an extender then maybe check that closed caption is not on the tv. I cannot recall for sure but it could be that with cc on you will get cc's (I know you said subtitles) even when the subtitles are off.

Other than that, are you using the default UI?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Sage User

I am not using an extender.

Sage is playing from a PC hooked to the TV via the VGA port, so there is no captioning available on the TV. I will double check though.

I am using the default UI. I have made no modifications or additions other then what can be addressed through the setup menus.

Chris
Old 02-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Sage Icon

If you are running a client, and have some software (can't remember the name, vob???) it can be creating the subtitles. Don't know why the default would be on, buy it is. And it's like the 3rd or 4th tab to turn it off. This isn't part of SageTV, but a codec add-on, I think.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 02-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Sage User

Thanks Matt, I will check that out when I get home.

Chris
Old 04-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Sage User

I am having this same problem where I can't seem to turn off the subtitles when playing a DVD. I get them in Sage, and any other media player. Even though the applications have them turned off. If I turn them on then I get two sets of subtitles overwriting eachother.

I agree and think there is a third party program running that is adding the subtitiles but I can't find it.

Can someone help me out.

TIA!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:12 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickster View Post

I agree and think there is a third party program running that is adding the subtitiles but I can't find it.

Can someone help me out.

TIA!
do you get a green arrow in the notification area when playing videos? sounds like VOBSUB?

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Sage User

No I don't, in fact I was looking through all the processes running and installed programs and I can't seem to find anything called VOBSUB or FFDSHOW. Nothing running looks odd.

BTW I'm using XP pro if that matters.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Sage Expert

At the risk of suggesting one use a sledge hammer to pound in a finishing nail, you could try AnyDVD HD (or AnyDVD if you never intend to rip Blu-Rays), and have it remove the subtitles for you.

Not neat or pretty, and perhaps a lot of work if your collection is large, but it lets you do some pretty cool stuff, including getting rid of certain messages, ads, pre-show garbage, etc, if you want to. If you are a completionist, it will just rip everything as well. But I'd look into it for getting rid of subtitles as well.
Asus P5Q Premium MB, E6750, 4GB RAM, 32-bit XP Pro SP3, 3Ware 9590SE controller, 80GB 7.2K Laptop boot drive w/SuperSpeed Cache Utility & eBoostr, (1) KWorld ATSC-110, (1) 950Q USB, (1) 2250 tuner, (1) HD-PVR using USB-UIRT, (1) 1600 Dual card, (1) DVICO Fusion 5 Gold, (1) Hauppauge 1250, (1) Hauppauge 2250, 8 various storage HD's, NEC-based x1 USB add-on card, 2 outdoor antennas capturing 2 different OTA markets, Dish Network w/HD Receiver for HD-PVR.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Sage Fanatic

I have the exact same problem with the extenders. It only recently started happening when I upgraded the firmware. I was ripping my movies with DVDFab and NOT unchecking the subpicture. I didn't even know what it was at the time. What is strange is that it worked fine for years without the updated firmware but then a recent update started showing them. I have since started re-ripping my library - not an easy job. I begged Sage for a recommendation of some switch to turn it off but given that I was ripping the movie by itself I was told there was no way. What is interesting is that VLC doesn't show the subtitle so in my opinion it is a sagetv problem that I can never get resolved

Neil
Old 05-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had this problem on the PC client...turn on DVD subtitles and you get 2 sets of subtitles overwriting each other...it turns out the CC were set to CC1...options were CC1, CC2, off...I switched to off and Voila...no more subtitles or closed captions!

Tags
dvd, subtitle