SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Anybody try Ubuntu 10.04?

LTS release comes out tomorrow. Has anybody tried the beta releases with sage, particularly with an hd-pvr?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Sage Expert

I have tried the 10.04 beta 2 server and it had serious issues with installing and booting from software RAID, see defect

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/527401

Even though it is marked Fixed released, people are still commenting with issues. Since I had an immediate need for new OS and software RAID on boot drive is a must for me, I went with CentOS 5.4

TV: Samsung UN46D8000
Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 04-28-2010, 08:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonsailor View Post
LTS release comes out tomorrow. Has anybody tried the beta releases with sage, particularly with an hd-pvr?
Actually I was curious about this as well... if anyone does verify if the 10.4 kernel does support the hdpvr out of the box... please post your findings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastafidli View Post
I have tried the 10.04 beta 2 server and it had serious issues with installing and booting from software RAID, see defect

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/527401

Even though it is marked Fixed released, people are still commenting with issues. Since I had an immediate need for new OS and software RAID on boot drive is a must for me, I went with CentOS 5.4
Hopefully this is related to JUST the boot drive... i use a standard drive for my boot disk but all my data is on a software raided drives.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:11 AM
SageTVaholic

HDPVR support should be in there.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
HDPVR support should be in there.
I hope so... i really hate having to rebuild drivers, when the kernel changes Do you know/think if the IR blasting will be there as well?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:14 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to Motofreak75
I don't know if IC drivers made it in, its certainly not in old 2.6.31-20 kernel, but they are in Fedora 12 latest kernel. So we have to wait another 48 hours until they release it & we will find out ! I hope they added the sames drivers as F12, because they work great with no issues in 9.10 server. Now if they can in the PVR2250 in it as well it will make a me a happy camper!

but I'm not counting on it.

Edit: downloading the server image now, but I read somewhere about grub issues and dual boot issues when installing so be careful.

Last edited by Motofreak75; 04-29-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Sage User

SageTV & Ubuntu 10.04

I've running SageTV with 10.04 LTS 64 for a few days now and have been very pleasantly surprised at how relatively easy to set up and how stable it is. It has not crashed on me once and I've thrown every conceivable video format at it.
I have a stock Lenovo 4G dual core box with an Nvidia 220 video card and a
Hauppauge HD-PVR
I also run a Mythbuntu 2.23 MythTV frontend/backend on the same machine and the two system co-exist just fine as long as they're not both attempting a recording from the HD-PVR (obviously!)
I just dropped in the 32 bit Java libs and that's all it took.
I anticipated a hassle getting my Harmony One remote to work but I didn't have to do a single thing, every function on the remote worked right off the bat (obviously presuming that you have a properly configured lircd setup as I did for my Myth box).
A little bit of fiddling required to get my CommandIR to change the channels properly on my Motorola (Starchoice) HD satellite receiver but overall a great setup.
Haven't actually fired up my Myth frontend since installing Sage!
Yes the mplayer implementation is a bit old and doesn't offer VDPAU hardware acceleration but George at Sage very promptly provided their mplayer and ffmpeg source code so I'll take a smash at building in VDPAU support.
My biggest sticking point at this time is trying to implement parental controls
on a more global basis, I haven't figured out how to password protect entire video directories to keep the kids out of the PG+ rated "adult" movies.
Any tips on that would be appreciated but overall considering the months of tweaking to get MythTV where I like it, the $80.00 and a few hours spent on SageTV have been well worth it.
I'd also like to mention that customer support from Sage has been outstanding.
Jim
Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Sage Expert

I bumped a system from Karmic to Lucid today, and though I only have Placeshifter on it it does not display any video on playback...
Old 05-03-2010, 05:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiso View Post
I bumped a system from Karmic to Lucid today, and though I only have Placeshifter on it it does not display any video on playback...
I switched on the weekend... I do get video in the placeshifter, but I have the same issue I had on all over versions of ubuntu, which is that my video controls are always behind the video.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Sage User

Hmm OK so it's not just me..
Same issue, AFAIK most actions can be controlled via the keyboard (FF, esc, pause) but be darned if I can find a "stop" key which makes it impossible to stop videp play and return
to a previous menu.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchisholm View Post
Hmm OK so it's not just me..
Same issue, AFAIK most actions can be controlled via the keyboard (FF, esc, pause) but be darned if I can find a "stop" key which makes it impossible to stop videp play and return
to a previous menu.
My solution is to repeatedly click the video... when I do that it briefly shows the UI controls... then I move my mouse to where I thought I saw the "stop" button and I click there... continually updating my mouse location until I finally hit the stop... I'm getting quite good at it now
Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

Lucid rocks!

I updated to Lucid over the weekend. Works fine. hdpvr's came right up, as did firewire tuning. Unrelated to Sage, but sensors work again, which were broken for me in Karmic.

All in all, this looks like a great release.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Sage Expert

I upgraded my work desktop to Lucid. The placeshifter works just fine. Had two issues
1. I dont have sun-jre installed, only open-jre since that is the only one in Ubuntu Software Center (I am using this machine as a test box to see what the Ubuntu default configuraion looks like and what needs to be tweaked to get it working the way I need before I upgrate my real desktop). SageTV Placeshifter .dev wouldnt install by default since it has dependency on Sun JRE. I had to go to terminal and ask dpkg to ignore dependencies. This is probably a bug in Sage since it should work just fine with either Open JRE or Sun JRE.
2. When configuring Placeshifter the screen where ratio is configured is completely off. This is on dual screen setip wiht laptop screen being 1280x800 (16:10) and main monitor 1920:1200. I had to change the ration to 2.503 to get real circle.

On the other hand as it was mentioned, I do get video as well and I dont see the controls either, but this didnt work as long as I can remember.

One pleasant surprise is that when I maximize the placeshifter window on the main screen, it wills up the entire screen and I can see the entire content (both when menus are displayes as well as the video). This doesn't work on Win XP installation on the same laptop. Here on the larger screen only the area equal to the smaller screen is visible, the rest is blank.

Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 05-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Sage User

Placeshifter controls

re my earlier post .. my mistake, it's all there in the quide.
Ctl-G = stop
Ctl-X = quide
etc
Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
My solution is to repeatedly click the video... when I do that it briefly shows the UI controls... then I move my mouse to where I thought I saw the "stop" button and I click there... continually updating my mouse location until I finally hit the stop... I'm getting quite good at it now
I used to have this problem. Make sure 3D Acceleration is enabled in Placeshifter. When Placeshifter starts click Settings. On the General tab check the Enable 3D Acceleration check box.

You might also check Ubuntu's System->Admin->Hardware Drivers application. I'm still on 9.10 and my nVidia drivers are version 173. There is a version 185 available in the app but I think that was unstable so I rolled back to 173 and have had pretty good luck since then. Playback can be choppy once in a while but I mainly use this copy of Placeshifter for Studio (this is my Sage server).
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreichen View Post
I used to have this problem. Make sure 3D Acceleration is enabled in Placeshifter. When Placeshifter starts click Settings. On the General tab check the Enable 3D Acceleration check box.

You might also check Ubuntu's System->Admin->Hardware Drivers application. I'm still on 9.10 and my nVidia drivers are version 173. There is a version 185 available in the app but I think that was unstable so I rolled back to 173 and have had pretty good luck since then. Playback can be choppy once in a while but I mainly use this copy of Placeshifter for Studio (this is my Sage server).
I have Intel GMA 4000 integrated graphics and with 3D acceleration the Placeshifter doesn't even start.

1Gb wired network
Old 05-03-2010, 08:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreichen View Post

Thanks. That worked. I swear I've tried this before and with 3D acceleration enabled placeshifter would just core dump. I recently (as in 2 days ago) upgraded to 10.4, so maybe the combination of everythnig is now working. Thanks!!

Quote:
I have Intel GMA 4000 integrated graphics and with 3D acceleration the Placeshifter doesn't even start.
This happens for me on my laptop as well (intel graphics as well).
Old 05-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Sage Expert

I updated my Catalyst drivers to 10.4 (released on 28 Apr '10) and can now see content on playback,,,
Old 05-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I don't know anything about that chipset, but it's either that or the drivers that don't support 3D acceleration. I'd say enter a bug for it. It would be nice if Placeshifter were more robust about this.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Thanks. That worked. I swear I've tried this before and with 3D acceleration enabled placeshifter would just core dump. I recently (as in 2 days ago) upgraded to 10.4, so maybe the combination of everythnig is now working. Thanks!!
No problem. I used to have those problems until I reverted to an older driver version. Are you using an nVidia card? If so, what driver version are you using? I'm planning on upgrading Ubuntu soon.
, Java 1.6.