SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdiablo View Post
Actually this happened again when i stopped avatar and restarted the movie. Subs are missing unless i skip back and rewatch that same part. Should another bug report be sent?
for me if you are patient they will eventually show up (try the subs at 42min). If its the same for you i dont think another a bug report is necessary (but I don't speak for sage )
Check out TVExplorer
Old 05-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hopefully Sagetv can get another update out to fix this. If I had family watching Avatar and there is talking in alien language and no subtitles kinda embarrassing to say "whoops hold on a second or two i just have to rewind that part so the subs show up"
Old 05-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Sage Expert

With the HD200 release, will there be a sagetv client update to fix this? I have avatar in MKV and it does not display the subtitles of the alien language.

MPC-HC displays the subtitles correctly.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

What is the exact handbrake cli command used to embed the navi subs? I just spent 20 hours encoding what was supposed to have the forced subs only to find there is none. Ughhh...

Appreciate any help, thank you!
Software: Sage Server 7.1.9 on Windows 7 (Virtualized in ESXi)
Clients: i3-2105, ASRock Z68 Pro3-M, 4GB DDR3 1600, 64GB SATA III (OS), 2TB WD Green (Recording), PNY GT 430 // 2 x HD-300
Old 05-23-2010, 07:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaOConnor View Post
What is the exact handbrake cli command used to embed the navi subs? I just spent 20 hours encoding what was supposed to have the forced subs only to find there is none. Ughhh...

Appreciate any help, thank you!
I don't know that Handbrake supports BD subs. You an use MeGUI with the SupTitle avisynth plugin. Works great!
Old 05-31-2010, 12:01 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm a little confused. I just tried ripping Avatar in MakeMKV. I only had it rip the forced english subtitles, not the other subtitles. When I try to play it back on my HD200, I just get a bunch of junk at the bottom of the screen during the Na'vi scenes. Is this expected behavior on the new 5-18 firmware?

Is the only workaround what Pirin described above?

It sounds like the subtitles should work if I rip Avatar from AnyDVD. Is that true?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirin View Post
As far as the subtitle issue is concerned, it still doesn't work right, but I do have all the forced subtitles showing up with the following workaround. I used eac3to to extract out the forced subtitles. I then OCR'd them with SupRip to get a text file of only the forced subtitles (.SRT). Now, I have a file called Avatar.srt in the same directory as my Avatar.mkv. When I watch Avatar now, with subtitles turned on, I get the appropriate forced subtitles to appear. It is in white text with a basic font, instead of the cool, yellow font that is in the movie, but at least I have the forced subtitles to tide me over until a fix for this is identified.
I did this too. In my case, I used mkvmerge to mux the srt subtitles into the video file (and I took out the PGS subtitles).

But, I seem to be having a problem where the last subtitle sticks on the screen. It displays them fine, and it will jump to the next subtitle fine, but it never clears when off the screen until I fast forward or rewind.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Anyone? I haven't updated to the v7 beta yet. Do srt subtitles in mkv files work in that version? Are PGS subtitles supported?
Old 06-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
Anyone? I haven't updated to the v7 beta yet. Do srt subtitles in mkv files work in that version? Are PGS subtitles supported?
You can't just rip the movie with MakeMKV, it doesn't rip the subtitles in SRT format. So you need a SRT file, then merge that into your MKV, or name it the same as the movie and place it next to the movie, and then Sage will see it just fine. Basically it works the same as it did in v6
Old 06-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflat View Post
Basically it works the same as it did in v6
Yup, as I understand it the fix was in the HD200 firmware... so I'd expect it to behave the same in v6 and v7
Check out TVExplorer
Old 06-06-2010, 10:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflat View Post
You can't just rip the movie with MakeMKV, it doesn't rip the subtitles in SRT format. So you need a SRT file, then merge that into your MKV, or name it the same as the movie and place it next to the movie, and then Sage will see it just fine. Basically it works the same as it did in v6
That's what I did. I ripped with MakeMKV, used SupRip to create SRT subtitles, and then used mkvmerge to merge the video file with the new SRT subtitles.

As I said in my second to last message, the subtitles will display. But, I seem to be having a problem where the last subtitle sticks on the screen. It displays them fine, and it will jump to the next subtitle fine, but it never clears when off the screen until I fast forward or rewind. I'm running the most recent HD200 beta firmware with Sage v6.6.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdiablo View Post
Hopefully Sagetv can get another update out to fix this. If I had family watching Avatar and there is talking in alien language and no subtitles kinda embarrassing to say "whoops hold on a second or two i just have to rewind that part so the subs show up"
I had the same problem when viewing 2012, had to rewind and enable all subs for each part..... my friend does most of the encoding for his home theater setup ( doesnt use sage ) so sort of pain in the neck to tell him how he has to encode if I want to borrow them.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

We finally got around to watching Avatar this weekend (on the PS3 because I knew it would handle the subs) then I tested a straight br folder rip. The forced subs only show up when you turn on the english subs (but then all the unforced ones show too) Do you always have to rip BRs with forced subs and take special steps to get forced subs to work?

Is it crazy to expect the full folder structure to just play without having to researh each movie ahead of time?

-Suntan
Old 06-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
We finally got around to watching Avatar this weekend (on the PS3 because I knew it would handle the subs) then I tested a straight br folder rip. The forced subs only show up when you turn on the english subs (but then all the unforced ones show too) Do you always have to rip BRs with forced subs and take special steps to get forced subs to work?

Is it crazy to expect the full folder structure to just play without having to researh each movie ahead of time?

-Suntan
I ripped Avatar to to BDMV structure and played it back through my HD200 (prior to Sage 7 beta) and subtitles showed up pretty much as they should. I did not have to turn on English subs. I did notice that a few times the last sub title in a string would 'hang around' on the screen longer than it should.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Sage User

I'm seeing the quick flash of subtitles with AnyDVD/ClownBD rip of Avatar.

I'm on 7.0.22 rc for the server with the 10/29/2010 beta firmware on the HD-300. Is this a known issue on the HD300?

Will bumping to 7.0.23 final help, or should I re-rip the whole movie without ClownBD in the mix???

Thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Sage Icon

@jayman - I do not know about clownbd i can tell you however that i ripped avatar using DVDFab, main movie only and my subtitles work just like they are supposed to... its been that way for awhile for me (forget exactly which firmware fixed it)
Check out TVExplorer
Old 11-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Sage User

A full disk re-rip to BDMV structure with the latest version of AnyDVD HD made the problem go away. All alien subtitles look fine now.

My previous rip was movie only (BDMV folder structure) with whatever the latest versions of AnyDVD HD and ClownBD were ~2 months ago.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

I wish there was a fix for this. I have tried MakeMKV with no success, tried clown bd ripped to TS, not successful. Last but not least I tried Eac3to with a GUI front end and a custom command line to rip the DTSMA and Core tracks, it found the forced subs and saved them as an IDX file. I then remuxed all of the tracks to MKV which is the format I have been using for a long time before I switched back to Sage recently.

I can watch the movie with MPC-HC or Graphstudio, or even Sage TV client software and the forced subs all show up fine with the fancy yellow text. When I play back the file on my HD300 the forced subs do show when I turn on the subtitles but it is garbage at the bottom of the screen.

Any ideas? I want the forced subs to show without having to turn on subs. That way if I do turn them on I get all of the subs.