SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

View Poll Results: AnyDVD VS DVDFab
AnyDVD HD 54 70.13%
DVDFab (Blue-ray) 23 29.87%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

AnyDVD VS DVDFab

Both seem to be about the same. Which is best for ripping Blue-rays to your hard drive to view with an HD100 and why? THANX!
Old 05-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

You should put an other option there too. I personally use MakeMKV to rip all my blu-rays. I was putting them in mkv format anyways, and it doesn't need anydvd or dvdfab.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Sage Icon

There is one big difference between the two (and the main reason i use DVDFab)... you can't rip just the main movie with AnyDVDHD (at least that ive found, i own both)... I have no use for all the extras, soundtracks, etc... so i only rip the main movie
Check out TVExplorer
Old 05-18-2010, 10:17 AM
SageTVaholic

You can with Clown_BD with AnyDVD running though.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
There is one big difference between the two (and the main reason i use DVDFab)... you can't rip just the main movie with AnyDVDHD (at least that ive found, i own both)... I have no use for all the extras, soundtracks, etc... so i only rip the main movie
Yes, until Slysoft comes out with something like CloneDVD for Bluray you need to use Clown to strip out the extras. I personally rip my dvd's with everything except all the foriegn language tracks, etc but I like keeping menus and such.

I haven't gotten into ripping blurays yet though.

One of my friends bought DVD Fab back in the day when it had just come out and he got all of the software available at the time with a lifetime license for a mere 30$. I hadn't even heard of it at the time, I wish I had scored it then

I have the lifetime license for AnyDVD-HD though which I think is a worthwhile purchase. I hope when Slysoft comes out with their Bluray ripping software similar to CloneDVD that they toss a bone to owners of previous software.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

+1 on the movie only option of DVD Fab.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Sage Icon

I think DVDFab and AnyDVD generally have different strengths. DVDFab is great at file conversion while AnyDVD will let you play\copy any disk real time. I would say DVDFab is overall the better tool but I use AnyDVD because I have gotten picky about my file conversions and upgrading to the BluRay version of DVDFab would cost money.

I currently use AnyDVD to rip everything.
:For BluRays I then use RipBot264 to convert it to a smaller m2ts if I intend to keep it on the server or just tsMuxer if I will just delete after watching.
:For DVDs I use MakeMKV to seperate the main movie or episodes. I then use tsMuxer to make it into a m2ts file if it will go into the permanent library. (Would love it if MakeMKV supported m2ts as well.)

I used DVDFab for a long time to rip and convert DVDs but moved to AnyDVD with the advent of BluRays. DVDFab is probably the best\easiest tool around to convert ripped disks to a compressed format of some kind. Now that it supports BluRays it is probably even a better choice for someone that doesn't want to learn the details of file formats and compression. For me the lack of support for creating m2ts files is the deal killer. I have pretty much standardized on that container at this point.

I didn't know MakeMKV would rip a BluRay. I see it is $50 with a 30 Trail so I will have to give it a try.

Last edited by SWKerr; 05-18-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Sage Expert

I use TSMuxer + AnyDVDHD to get only what I want (main movie). My setup may not be the latest, but it hasn't failed me yet, so I stick with it .
Old 05-18-2010, 02:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

I use AnyDVD w/ ClownBD. It is annoying everytime a Clown update hassles you about updating to the latest java, but the ability to play a disc in the drive is beneficial and to my knowledge, not a feature that DVDfab offers.

Also, as a pure gamble as to who has more staying power in this rather “grey” market, I place my chits on AnyDVD over DVDfab.

-Suntan
Old 05-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

Huge fan of DVDFab here. My only problem since using it for blurays is that disney productions and the audio tracks but I believe that is a different issue in itself.

DVDFab has been extremely reliable and has a pretty good community for support. I hope it never goes away!

Neil
Old 05-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Sage Expert

+ DVDFab runs on Linux using Wine

TV: Samsung UN46D8000
Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 05-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
You can with Clown_BD with AnyDVD running though.
+1 for this approach

Piece of cake, reduce to main movie, and just check a box if no DD track exists to convert to AC3 for playback on extenders
Old 05-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Sage Icon

I use both DVDFab7 (DVD) and AnyDVD HD. I don't have a blueray drive in my computer, and I've never ripped a blueray. I bought AnyDVD first, then DVDFab. DVDFab seems to do a better job with the ripping just the main movie. AnyDVD updates their software much more frequently. The update reminder messages with AnyDVD are nice. DVDFab rarely updates their software. There doesn't seem to be any notification in the software or even e-mail alerts that a newer version is available with DVDFab. I wish that DVDFab would build in an updating mechanism similar to AnyDVD.

Dave
Old 05-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
The update reminder messages with AnyDVD are nice.
or really annoying depending on your POV
Quote:
DVDFab rarely updates their software. There doesn't seem to be any notification in the software or even e-mail alerts that a newer version is available with DVDFab. I wish that DVDFab would build in an updating mechanism similar to AnyDVD.
i get a notice if there is a new version available when i start DVDFab (only when new version is avail and only during dvdfab start)... maybe its an option somewhere?
Check out TVExplorer
Old 05-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Just throwing it out there, as I’ve never tried it after getting AnyDVD, but couldn’t a person just use the “free” version of DVDfab with AnyDVD running in the background for the purpose of stripping the main movie/audio?

The pay version of DVDfab is mostly for cracking updates (and ability to compress rips too if my memory serves) but ripping the main movie was always a capability of the free version.

Has anyone done this?

-Suntan
Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Sage User

I use both...anyDVD is always first to crack encryption on new BD's but DVDFab will copy just main movie...so both have there strengths.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
Just throwing it out there, as I’ve never tried it after getting AnyDVD, but couldn’t a person just use the “free” version of DVDfab with AnyDVD running in the background for the purpose of stripping the main movie/audio?

The pay version of DVDfab is mostly for cracking updates (and ability to compress rips too if my memory serves) but ripping the main movie was always a capability of the free version.

Has anyone done this?

-Suntan
I don't believe you can run both at the same time. I know DVDFab warns you if AnyDVD is running, I don't remember the exact message but I think the idea was DVDFab wouldn't work.

I believe you can rip the whole DVD/BRD with any of the tools (AnyDVD, MakeMKV, DVDFab, etc) then run the ripped files thru the free version of DVDFab to pull out the movie only, I used to do that sometimes with DVD files, I assume it would work with BRD's also. You end up with full size BRD movie.

I like my BRD's smaller then full size, so I run the movie thru BD-Rebuilder to re-encode to a smaller size, one of the options in BD-Rebuilder is "movie only" so for me it doesn't matter what is in the original rip, (although I think ripping movie only is faster).
Old 05-19-2010, 01:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Regardless, I think the distinguishing feature between free an pay DVD Fab is the shrinking/reauthoring functions, I think the ripping (and decrypting) are free. Though I do have a vague recollection that for BD you have to pay for, maybe it's just "more frequent" updates for BD.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Regardless, I think the distinguishing feature between free an pay DVD Fab is the shrinking/reauthoring functions, I think the ripping (and decrypting) are free. Though I do have a vague recollection that for BD you have to pay for, maybe it's just "more frequent" updates for BD.
You are correct, Free can rip, Paid can reauthor. Both will notify you about updates (On Windows, not on Linux). Also the Paid one doesn't work on Linux under Wine, since apparently the registration functionality is broken. The free one does work.

TV: Samsung UN46D8000
Server: Intel Core i3 540, 4G RAM, Matrox G450, 70GB EXT3 encrypted software RAID1 system drive, 1TB XFS tv recording drive, 2TB EXT3 encrypted data drive mirror across 2 machines, 2TB EXT3 encrypted media drive mirror across 2 machines, CentOS 6 64 bit, Experimenting with DNLA servers
1Gb wired network
Disconnected after G day[HD 100 Media Extender, Placeshifter 7.x, SageTV 7.x, HDHomeRun]
Old 05-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

As of a few months back, the 'free' one got the updates significanty after the paid one. Which, for something like BR decryption, severely imits the value of the free one as a ripper/cracker. Unless you are the type that doesn't go for new releases.

-Suntan