SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Home Button Behavior

I like the new UI and so far it seems pretty functional, but I'm not fond of how the Home button functions now. In the past it always took me to the main menu. Now with the 3 pane design of the main menu pressing Home will take me to the last place on the main menu I was. Often this is the 2nd or 3rd pane of an item on the main menu. I'd prefer it take me back to the top level (1st pane) of the main menu.

I find returning to the top level of the main menu a better option. For someone less familiar with the menus it's comforting to know you can return to a very familiar menu with the press of 1 key. For example if my mom pressed Home and ended up in the 2nd or 3rd pane of the Setup item she'd still feel a bit lost where as if she was at the top menu she'd know exactly what to do.

I looked around the forums and didn't see this mentioned anywhere, which surprised me a bit. I figured the Home button was pretty widely used.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:30 AM
Administrator

BTW: You can press Home again to reset back to the top level while on the Main Menu.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks I hadn't tried that. I may program my remote to just send the Home command twice then.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade View Post
I like the new UI and so far it seems pretty functional, but I'm not fond of how the Home button functions now. In the past it always took me to the main menu. Now with the 3 pane design of the main menu pressing Home will take me to the last place on the main menu I was. Often this is the 2nd or 3rd pane of an item on the main menu. I'd prefer it take me back to the top level (1st pane) of the main menu.

I find returning to the top level of the main menu a better option. For someone less familiar with the menus it's comforting to know you can return to a very familiar menu with the press of 1 key. For example if my mom pressed Home and ended up in the 2nd or 3rd pane of the Setup item she'd still feel a bit lost where as if she was at the top menu she'd know exactly what to do.

I looked around the forums and didn't see this mentioned anywhere, which surprised me a bit. I figured the Home button was pretty widely used.
I have to agree with you on this quibble. One should never change a long established interface behavior. If home went to the main menu before, that should still be the default behavior.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Sage Expert

I too found myself a little confused when "home" didn't exactly bring me home on the first press. Felt like when my GPS tells me "you have arrived at your destination" a block early.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

I agree with this as well.

"Home" should take you to the top level of Sage
"TV" should take you to the top level of "TV"
etc...

-uberpixel