SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:50 AM
Sage User

nielm & co's webserver vs. "new" v7?

Hi all --

First off, hats off to nielm, jreichen and emok (et al) for writing the amazing webserver for v6.

Is there a difference with, or benefit to updating to, the new webserver plugin for v7? My install for v6, for some [good?] reason, works fine for file admin purposes on my iPhone and desktop machines, no complaints about that

BUT ...

My only glitch is -- and still remains -- that the streaming section of the v2.25 [Sage 6] webserver doesn't work very well, and not at all on a Mac. Either that or I haven't found the setting that works. I seem to remember WMA 384k gave me a decent pic (320x240) on a PC but the quality was pretty horrible; also there was no fastforward or rewind. And did I mention no Mac happiness ...

For the iPhone users out there, I can highly recommend AirVideo! I am presently using my iPhone and AirVideo/Server combo which works GREAT, even over 3g! However there are days when I will be out of town and won't have cell service, so I'd like a desktop solution.

My iPhone has fastforward and rewind capability with the QT stream from AirVideo. Now if I could only replicate that on my desktop machine; AirVideo is only for iPhone.

Placeshifter v6 works ok over wifi, and is sometimes a little glitchy-hangy. But the v6 navigation was pretty sluggish and pic quality and framerate were both poor over an upload-capped cable modem with 60 kiloBytes up (480kbps on average).

Has anyone gotten streaming to work a-ok in the v7 webserver plugin? Was it on a Windows machine or a Mac? Should I update? Also, how do I remove the old v6 webserver? I don't have to reinstall v7, do I?

I have one Windows laptop and one Mac tower.

So many questions ..
Old 05-31-2010, 10:09 AM
Sage Fanatic

The big benefit to moving to jetty and the v7 version is the easy of installation and upgrades. When there is a new version, you simply go to the plugin manager and click install.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Sage Icon

There are some differences between nielm's web UI when it runs on its own web server (TJWS) as opposed to running on Jetty. I don't remember the particulars off hand but basically you can't customize the menu or stylesheets.

In SageTV v7, the web UI only runs on Jetty and is basically a repackaging so it works with the new plugin manager. (You could still download an old zip file and follow the manual instructions to install it in v7 but it wouldn't integrate with the plugin manager).

Nothing has changed as far as the streaming features. I haven't had good luck with VLC and wasn't involved with adding that to the web UI so I can't offer much help there.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:44 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the reply jreichen. Is there hope for, or a solution you know of in Sage v7, for streaming from my home computer to a remote desktop? Or should I just try my luck with Placeshifter?

Has anyone USED Placeshifter over a speed-limited connection? Does it perform ok?

Or - a better question - what does anyone and everyone use for remote viewing of TV programs over the internet? I know I'm not the only one who does this .. hence AirSharing for iPhone ..

Last edited by CANightHawk; 06-01-2010 at 04:45 AM. Reason: question clarification
Old 06-01-2010, 06:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Placeshifter works great. Why go with some "work around" when placeshifter was designed for remote viewing? Have you had a bad experience with it?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Sage User

I was running Placeshifter for a while on my old (ok way old) Mac laptop, a 666 MHz Titanium PowerBook. It took forever to even load the UI let alone do anything on it. And by forever, I mean at least a minute to load the UI on a brand new OS X install. To watch live TV, if I got five frames a second I was impressed. And that was over wiFi.

Eventually I gave up on that, got a filesharing thing going, and viewed the MPEG2 files uncompressed over my local wiFi network, including using nielm's webserver to view the MPEG2's on my iPhone before AirSharing was even invented. But that was not an optimal solution at all.

Placeshifter likely has improved, and I will download it and try on my PC laptop in a few days. Honestly though, it was so slow before that I just gave up on "live TV" altogether on anything other than my main PC, and used the webserver to select a show I had already recorded, to watch streamed on my laptop if I was doing laundry or in the kitchen or whatever (not transcoded, just straight playback).

And yes I guess I'm a bit of a TV addict, hehe
Old 06-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Another benefit I noticed was that the webpage loads a lot quicker and all other pages are quicker too, and it really wasn't that bad of a change over for me. neilm wrote a very easy to follow upgrade guide.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300