SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

MythTV + iPhone/iPad = Reason to switch!

http://chriscarey.com/projects/mythtv/iphone/

I realize there haven't been any updates to this in a couple years, but this looks very promising and has seriously got me considering a change.

Last edited by Khristopher; 07-28-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

If I had to pick between an Iphone and SageTV
Id pick Sage in a heartbeat.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Sage Icon

Not to mention the fact that well the HD200 is kind of a no brainer solution in my opinion.

and the community rocks
and the support is top notch
and the developers for sage are AMAZING..PluckyHD, stuckless, list goes on and on, those are just the two i have been talking to most recently
the list goes on and on
Old 07-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Sage Icon

You would change platforms based on an idea two-years old and that has yet to see the light of day? Okay...

Meanwhile. I'll continue to remotely program and review my SageTV recordings via the mobile and web UI plugins and watch converted programs via AirVideo on my iPhone.
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 07-31-2010, 06:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
You would change platforms based on an idea two-years old and that has yet to see the light of day?
First of all, the idea has seen the light of day, it's not just an idea on paper. Did you even try the demo? Second, iPhone/iPad integration is incredibly important to me and yes I would change platforms in a heartbeat if it meant being able to properly stream recordings and other media to my iPhone/iPad, all from one application. Everyone has their "must have" feature, and this is mine.

Last edited by Opus4; 07-31-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Sage Expert

The extender support with Sage is the killer feature. An iPad app would be cool, even if only for jailbroken devices, but it'd be cool to have but probably not used all that much. The extenders are why I'm with Sage.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

I consider my iPhone and iPad to be better extenders than using a laptop or one that connects to a TV. I want my media always with me, and the only way to do that is with a mobile device. Sage needs to start working on a proper mobile version which is directly integrated with the Sage server. More and more people are going to be looking for an all in one solution and this would ensure Sage keeps ahead of everyone else.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:46 AM
SageTVaholic

I think it would be a great addition to SageTV. Not a must-do kind of thing but it does make sense for SageTV to get more built-in mobile capabilities.

Hope they do it. But its not a do or die kind of thing for me... I've used MythTV and Windows 7 MC. Neither of them have what I need for me to make the jump. Might work for others though I guess.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khristopher View Post
I consider my iPhone and iPad to be better extenders than using a laptop or one that connects to a TV. I want my media always with me, and the only way to do that is with a mobile device.
To each his own... I am not that addicted to TV shows or pressed for time that I have to watch everything on a 4 inches screen instead of the comfort of my living room and its 50 inches TV...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 08-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
First of all, the idea has seen the light of day, it's not just an idea on paper. Did you even try the demo? Second, iPhone/iPad integration is incredibly important to me and yes I would change platforms in a heartbeat if it meant being able to properly stream recordings and other media to my iPhone/iPad, all from one application. Everyone has their "must have" feature, and this is mine.
Looks like the last software update was over two years ago; if the demo version is solid enough for, and you don't have any expectations for updates, and you're willing to change platforms, then go for it. Certainly no one is preventing you.

I agree that I like have my media with me all the time; but as long as I have cable TV, I'm more committed to using SageTV and its on-going support of fantastic add-ons/plugins that gets me the functionality that I need.

Personally, I don't see any difference in using one application to stream media and another to manage it; I can't ever recall where I ever needed to do both at the same time or where switching from one app to the other was all that bothersome ;-)
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 08-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
To each his own... I am not that addicted to TV shows or pressed for time that I have to watch everything on a 4 inches screen instead of the comfort of my living room and its 50 inches TV...
When I'm at home obviously I'll be watching my 52", however I travel for work and I'm always wishing i could get caught up on some of my shows on my iPad. 10" is more than adequate to use while on the road......in a pinch, 3.5" works as well.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
When I'm at home obviously I'll be watching my 52", however I travel for work and I'm always wishing i could get caught up on some of my shows on my iPad. 10" is more than adequate to use while on the road......in a pinch, 3.5" works as well.
I've been thinking of getting one of these Hanvon BC10c jobbies. It's a bit bulkier (thank an ipad) but not by that much, battery life is less but still workable for my usage habits and it's not an apple product.

Mick.

Last edited by mickp; 08-09-2010 at 03:08 AM. Reason: clarified by adding info in paren()
Old 08-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
http://chriscarey.com/projects/mythtv/iphone/

I realize there haven't been any updates to this in a couple years, but this looks very promising and has seriously got me considering a change.
Check air Video from the Appstore, its like 2 bux, it allows you to stream recorderd files from your hdd, so you can just map your recording directory + your media files and you will be able to broadcast them to your ipod touch/iphone/ipad without issues. It even works on programs that are recording, you can watch them at the same time.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
Check air Video from the Appstore, its like 2 bux, it allows you to stream recorderd files from your hdd, so you can just map your recording directory + your media files and you will be able to broadcast them to your ipod touch/iphone/ipad without issues. It even works on programs that are recording, you can watch them at the same time.
That's a pretty sweet app. Took me a few minutes to get the Bojour service and the Air Video server installed on my server. Tried out the free version and then decided to go ahead and pay the $3 for the full version. It even works with my HDPVR recordings but my server doesn't have the speed to play a 1080i in realtime.

I would prefer to have a native SageTV Placeshifter iPhone app but this will suffice!
Old 08-09-2010, 03:48 PM
SageTVaholic

It works pretty well but I find that AirVideo can get bogged down when pointed at my RecordedTV folder that has hundreds (more than a thousand?) video files since it tries to download thumbnails for all files.

I would really like to see a Placeshifter app for the iPad, or a way to stream files from the Sage web UI to an iPad.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
...or a way to stream files from the Sage web UI to an iPad.
Yeah that would be sweet, I keep waiting for an iPad to show up on my doorstep
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 PM
SageTVaholic

If you are looking for bounties then I am in for $30 -that gets you 6% of the way there.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I already use it simply because there is nothing better presently. While it works, it still leaves a lot to be desired unfortunately.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I use airvideo too.
I found online documentation for porting it to linux and it works great!

http://wiki.birth-online.de/know-how...o-server-linux
Old 11-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Sage Icon

Would this keep you from jumping ship to MythTV? Granted, it only handles TV recordings and not videos or music, but supporting streaming was the hard part.
SageTV: SageTV Server 7.1.8 on Ubuntu Linux 11.04, SageTV Placeshifter for Mac 6.6.2, SageTV Client 7.0.15 for Windows, Linux Placeshifter 7.1.8 on Server and Client
, Java 1.6.
Plugins: Jetty, Nielm's Web Server, Mobile Web Interface.