SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV United Kingdom
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV United Kingdom SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from the UK - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in the UK.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Best Freesat Box and DVB-S2 USB for SageTV 7 Setup in UK

Gents,

now that I have sold my soul to SageTV 7 (2 HD300s on pre-order), I have decided to defect from Sky HD and complement my HD Homerun OTA Freeview tuners with a Freesat HD setup.

Not sure what to do here; I understand some of the newer Freesat boxes can save to a NAS/Shared Drive (in which case I could import using metadata tools).

I also had bad experiences controlling Satellite boxes in the past with Windows Media Centre.

My questions:

1) What is the best Freesat HD box out there for usage with SageTV
2) Can you get Freesat with a CI Slot (for pay-per-view) and does this work with SageTV
3) If needed, what is the best USB DVB-S2 tuner (for use with WHS) and how does it control the Freesat box?
4) Do I need DVB-S2 for HD?
5) How difficult is it to maintain/synchronise the EPG/Frequencies (I use Digiguide, Stephanes importer and XMLTV seamlessly with the HDHomerun tuners at present)?

Cheers

Clients: 3 HD300s, 2 HD200s, 1 PS3
Old 09-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Sage Expert

I think you have 3 options :

o Get a set top box and then attach a tuner to its outputs (eg if it outputs SCART then you could attach an analogue tuner) Not sure if you can get a HD signal out though (That might be what HDPVR is about - I'm a bit sketchy on that) This will require an IR blaster to tell Sage to change the channel on the STB. I used to have this with my old Sky box and found it a bit of a faff but lots of people use IR blasters. The upside is that whatever your Sky card lets you view can be recorded (Except maybe HD, see previous comment)

o Get a DVB-S[2] tuner with a card reader (CAM & CI) to allow you to get subscribed channels. Again, I've seen mentions of this on the forums but have never really investigated myself as I don't like paying Sky anything :-)

o Get a DVB-S[2] tuner without a card reader. This is what I have - thee Hauppauge one. I thought I needed DVB-S2 for HD but apparently not. I also use Digiguide and Stephane's importer. I just created two lineups in the importer (freesat & freeview) as long as the call signs for the channels match, then the EPG will merge them. I set my DVB-S2 card as a higher priority tuner, simply because my satellite signal is faultless and the DVB-T wavers sometimes...

Hope that helps. I'm sure someone will correct anything I got wrong
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 09-03-2010, 04:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hey Brewston; thanks for that.

Option 1 is the configuration I had with Windows Media Centre which was tempramental at best (program changes did not always work and left you on a different or non-existent channel) so hoping to avoid that altogether (IR's etc)

So it's options 2 or 3 (more integrated and more controllable); I understand you lose the ability to watch all premium channels (99% of what we watch is on freeview anyway except football which I never watch recorded anyhow).

The CI option is interesting as this may enable us to get some premium channels onto the Sage ecosystem but not sure how reliable/tempramental they are.

Now I know about matching the callsigns that makes things easier.

The only issue I see is I am running on Windows Home Server and this would need to be USB-based not an internal card hence the request for options in this space that are reliable.

Cheers

Clients: 3 HD300s, 2 HD200s, 1 PS3
Old 09-03-2010, 05:16 AM
Sage Expert

Since I can only get 1 PCI card in my server, I've thought about getting this one :

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/prod...novasusb2.html

But I'd have to get a dual LNB on my dish and run a new cable

There are not many reports of people using that tuner on the forums but I've found hauppauge to be mostly OK (once you get over the finicky drivers)
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 09-03-2010, 05:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

You should definitely get DVB-S tuners rather than using the output of a Freesat box. You will not have the MCE problems of having to control it with IR bugs & even more importantly will have much better picture quality with HD & 5.1 surround on the HD channels.

You could set up tuners in another Windows PC as 'network encoders' using another of Stephane's superb Sage add-ons. Then over your LAN the TV transport stream is served to the Sage Server.

If you do use a USB tuner on your WHS system then be sure to use a mainstream brand that is supported like the Hauppauge WinTV Nova-S-USB2. I have no experience of any external DVB-S2 devices other than the firewire connected Floppy/FireDTV-S2 but unfortunately these are no longer made as Digital Everywhere went out of business. I found this one which is cheap & should theoretically work with Sage http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info....264-USALS.html

The issue with DVB-S vs. DVB-S2 tuners is that at present all the Free To View HD channels use DVB-S & there is a possibility that they will shift to DVB-S2 at some future date. All standard definition channels will remain as DVB-S forever (or at least until Sky & Freesat replace all their existing SD boxes).
Old 09-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

I use a "Technotrend S2 3600" usb tuner for freesat and find it excellent with sage. There is Technotrend a CI option available also. I tried a Hauppauge Nova S2 usb but it was troublesome.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...sl_qp5963iqa_e