SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

HD300, got it but they changed something important to me

So I received my HD300 today. I got it all setup. Everything seems to be as described. Now here is the downer: I have 3 tv's that share this HD300 (used to be the HD200). The HD200 simultaneously transmitted analog/composite and digital/hdmi. One TV is hooked up via HDMI, the other two use an analog connection. This setup works great because one is a bathroom and one is area that my wife gets ready in. Both TV's are older and do not have HDMI. So I figured out today that the HD300 does not transmit analog and digital simultaneously. It is either one or the other. I am very saddened by this change because I don't want to buy more hd300's, tv's etc etc. It worked out perfect the way it was. I want to use the HD300 in this specific area because we can watch our Bluray movies without having to convert the movie to get sound.

So today I looked for some type of HDMI splitter that also outputs analog. I have not been able to find such a device. So now I am posting for any ideas from someone (without making this to complicated).

Thanks for the ideas in advance
Bill
Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

You're severely limited on something that will convert HDMI to analog. This is the only piece of electronics I know of and it costs more than a HD300!

http://www.curtpalme.com/HDFury3.shtm
Old 09-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

This is sad. I was so excited not to have to worry about converting the Bluray. This would be great if some type of firmware update could change this aspect of the HD300. I am thinking very hard on a way to make the HD300 work in this area.

Thanks again for the suggestion
Bill

I am open to any other ideas.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:15 AM
Sage User

Just saw this on the faq, fwiw:

STP-HD200:
Composite and S-Video are always active at SD resolution, even when HDMI or Component outputs are configured for HD output.

Either Component or HDMI can be active for HD output, but not both at the same time.

Analog audio output is always active (unless it is DTS).

STP-HD300:
Composite is always active at SD resolution, even when HDMI or Component outputs are configured for HD output.

Either Component or HDMI can be active for HD output, but not both at the same time.

Analog audio output is always active.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

I hooked it up and could not get a pic unless I told it to output vis the composite component dongle. I am hoping you are right. Right now I have an hdmi hooked up to my lcd tv and the composite is hooked up to a composite modulator. No pic on the TV's connected via composite.

Time for research and an email to tech support.

Thanks for the info

Edit
I found this in the HD300 manual

"The Composite connection should always output
a valid video signal, as long as the HDMI port is not connected to any device."

So it appears I back to square one again.

Last edited by Hunter69; 09-17-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:49 AM
SageTVaholic

I would still ask support as the manual and the post above contradict each other. It never hurts to ask. I am thinking it should work.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Sage

What if you just used component instead of hdmi on the one tv and then composite on the others?
Old 09-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

You could just use the component out and buy a component distribution amp like:

http://www.amazon.com/AV-400COMP-Hig.../ref=de_a_smtd
Old 09-17-2010, 10:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarroterl View Post
You could just use the component out and buy a component distribution amp like:

http://www.amazon.com/AV-400COMP-Hig.../ref=de_a_smtd
I don't think he needs more than one component if he does monoprice would have much cheaper options than that one
Old 09-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have been contemplating component. The only thing holding me back is that I have to pull wire because this setup is in a closet while the TV's are in another part of the house. I emailed tech support and am currently forming a plan in my head. I certainly appreciate the attention/brainstrorming that you guys are giving me.

Bill
Old 09-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Sage Icon

I see the same behavior but they did change video output behavior for the better for me (sorry, I know that doesn't help you). Now, when I switch inputs on my AVR to what corresponds to the component output of the HD300 (away from HDMI) it is enabled right away and vice versa. With the HD200 if I ever used the HDMI output the component video output would be disabled until I turned off my HDMI tv, my AVR, and the HD200 and then turned the AVR back on again to the component input.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm seeing something similar.

Right now I have the HD300 hooked to to AVR by way of HDMI, and the video is hooked to a secondary PC monitor that supports composite (I don't fire up the PJ for setup/maintenance purposes.)

I can view the menus and play a video on the composite with the AVR turned off (even when the video output is selected as HDMI) But if I turn the AVR on, then the video feed on the composite goes blank. Turn the AVR off and it comes right back. It doesn't matter which video setting I have selected (composite or HDMI) for the video output. I could understand this happening when you have HDMI selected for the video output, but the same thing happens even when you have composite selected as your video output.

It doesn't make sense that it would drop out even when you have the video output selected as composite. As it is working now, I can not get audio out of the AVR by way of the HDMI connection, and get video out of the composite connection, even when the HD300 is configured as such.

The HD300 is updated to the latest firmware and Sage is running V7.14.

Unrelated to this thread (but a bigger issue to me) is that I can not get the HD audio to play on my AVR (can't get the Blue light!) The HD300 seems to still be defaulting to playing the core audio tracks, even when the HD audio Bitstream selection is selected in the menu. This happens with single M2TS files converted with ClownBD as well as straight BR folder structure rips right from AnyDVD.

I have not tried it using the HDMI video out yet. I will wait to claim the HD Audio problem as an issue until tonight when I fire up the PJ and run both video and audio through the AVR proper.

-Edit- Nevermind about the HD Audio streams issue. That problem appeared to be operator error...

-Suntan

Last edited by Suntan; 09-20-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well I contacted support in regards to this issue. Support responded back and told me:

This was changed due to a bug in the drivers for the HD300. They are looking at possible alternatives but do not know if this will be resolved anytime in the near future.

Just thought I would update eveyone of the outcome