SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

HD300 locks up!

I am having intermittent server connection problems, which I never had with the HD200. When this happens the unit locks up and has to be unplugged in order to recover. When the unit has not been used for a while this will happen 90% of the time. Unplugging the unit will recover the unit 90% of the time and about 10% of the time it has to be unplugged several times. The warmer the unit the less frequently it happens.

The HD300 physically sits where the HD200 used to, so it is using the exact same LAN line that the HD200 did. I tried switching out the LAN cable and that did not help. The HD200, which is upstairs now, connects to the server every time without issue. Is anyone else seeing this?

I am running the latest version of firmware and SageTV V7.0.11.232. It is a wired connection and I have tried both dynamic DHCP and static IP. If I move the HD200 back to it old location, which is where the HD300 is now located, it does not have this issue.

Get a bit frustrated with the unit and I am out of ideas on what to try next.

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!
Old 09-19-2010, 06:53 PM
SageTVaholic

I would upgrade you version of sagetv to the latest beta v7.0.16 I wouldn't recomend running the latest firmware with that old of a v7 build. Allot of times newer sage versions along with newer firmware address issues.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
I would upgrade you version of sagetv to the latest beta v7.0.16 I wouldn't recomend running the latest firmware with that old of a v7 build. Allot of times newer sage versions along with newer firmware address issues.
I was afraid someone would suggest that and I hear what you are saying but the latest beta seems to have given a fair number of folks problems. Isn't this the version that requires swapping out or adding a file?

Old 09-19-2010, 07:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bits View Post
I was afraid someone would suggest that and I hear what you are saying but the latest beta seems to have given a fair number of folks problems. Isn't this the version that requires swapping out or adding a file?
Yeahhh... and that's the only issue. Takes like 5 seconds to do. Otherwise rock solid. Not sure what other issues others are having.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-19-2010, 08:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
Yeahhh... and that's the only issue. Takes like 5 seconds to do. Otherwise rock solid. Not sure what other issues others are having.
You only need that file if you have the issue I did not and haven't needed the file. I have had zero issues with it.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
You only need that file if you have the issue I did not and haven't needed the file. I have had zero issues with it.
I will give it a try. Has anyone posted that the latest Sage has anything written into it that is specific to the HD300? This could also be a defective unit........

What settings do you use for the HD300?

Dynamic DHCP? Static?
Do you have 1080p 24 checked?
Audio: I run just an HDMI to my AVR so I have the last option selected.

In the Advanced settings what output resolution do you have selected? I selected 1080p 50 and got audio drop outs. My TV is a Samsung 8000 series, which is 1080p.

Last edited by bits; 09-20-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Updating to the latest version of Sage did not help. Any other suggestions?

Old 09-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

I had similar problems and I think I solved it. I changed the default output resolution to 1080P. I think the HD300 is not hung up, but my TV is just having problems with the resolution. Funny, I never had problems with this TV with my HD200.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochurch View Post
I had similar problems and I think I solved it. I changed the default output resolution to 1080P. I think the HD300 is not hung up, but my TV is just having problems with the resolution. Funny, I never had problems with this TV with my HD200.
I can not remember what my default resolution is currently set to but I can say that I got everything from audio drop outs to studdering video to lockups when trying the various output resolution settings. I found one that worked and I am sticking with it. My TV is a Samsung LED 8000 and is 1080p.

I think I may have figured out a way around the unit locking up when powering it on. I should mention that when I say powering it on I mean that it is being turned on by a Harmony 650 universal remote. I think what is happening is some sort of timing issue between the HD300 and the timing of the rf signals being sent by the 650. Last night I changed the order that my components are turned on and so far no lockups. However, this was never an issue with my HD200.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
HD200.
When you say "lockups" do you mean it just won't turn on after turning it off without unplugging if so yes one of my hd300 is doing this same thing. Please bug it they are looking at it for me but always helps to have more logs. It is funny because my other ones aren't doing it but my one in the master bedroom is. I am wondering if it is the tv or the extender I guess I need to take another one in there in test it out.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've had lockups where the video continues playing even when I hit power off (and the blue light goes off)... video and audio just keep going. I had to unplug the unit to get it to stop .
Old 09-21-2010, 01:35 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm just going to throw this out there, but those of you having trouble turning it back on, you don't have it hooked up via HDMI to an HDMI-CEC compatible TV do you?

I think I might have had the same issue initially, but my TV had an option in the HDMI CEC setup, that it sounded like would turn off HDMI CEC devices when you turned the TV off. I disabled that and I don't recall having any such issues since.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I'm just going to throw this out there, but those of you having trouble turning it back on, you don't have it hooked up via HDMI to an HDMI-CEC compatible TV do you?

I think I might have had the same issue initially, but my TV had an option in the HDMI CEC setup, that it sounded like would turn off HDMI CEC devices when you turned the TV off. I disabled that and I don't recall having any such issues since.
Good thought but no the tv I am having issue on is a plasma that is about 5 or 6 years old before CEC.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
When you say "lockups" do you mean it just won't turn on after turning it off without unplugging if so yes one of my hd300 is doing this same thing. Please bug it they are looking at it for me but always helps to have more logs. It is funny because my other ones aren't doing it but my one in the master bedroom is. I am wondering if it is the tv or the extender I guess I need to take another one in there in test it out.
You are correct and I probably should have called it a lock off! Since changing the sequence of my components being turned on it has not happened but it is too early to declare success. One observation that led me to look at the sequence was that I can turn the HD300 on and off many times and not have the issue. It has only happened when turning on or switching from viewing TV to viewing the HD300, when manipulating my home theater components in conjuction with powing on the HD300.

I did file a bug report and I did the log thing when the problem occurred but STV support said there was no indication in the log files that there was an issue. I will turn on logging for now and if the problem happens it will hopefully be recorded.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Grab the log from the hd300 itself even if it won't turn on you should be able to grab the log. I definately think it is a hdmi issue. In what order do you turn on now on avoid the problem hd300 first or last? I have tried just about everything.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Grab the log from the hd300 itself even if it won't turn on you should be able to grab the log. I definately think it is a hdmi issue. In what order do you turn on now on avoid the problem hd300 first or last? I have tried just about everything.
HD300 then AVR then TV

I should explain that I use the Harmony 650 and that I added an Activity that is supposed to turn the HD300 off 500 milliseconds after it powers on and then turn it back on 5secs later. However, I do not think this is really happening because the HD300 does not go off and because the new Activity says that it is for a Media PC and not for SageTV Media PC.

I wish the Harmony 650 software had the ability to put a wait time before starting a component up.

I agree that there is something finicky about the HD300's HDMI. I never had this issue with my HD200.

--> Update: My HD300 just locked off so I am back to square one.

Last edited by bits; 09-21-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah it is wierd I only get it on one tv/extender combo. I am going it try and swap out with an extender from another room and see if it happens the same.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Yeah it is wierd I only get it on one tv/extender combo. I am going it try and swap out with an extender from another room and see if it happens the same.
I submitted another log and hopefully the problem is recorded in it. I stayed up way later than I should have and tried all sorts of things but none worked.

My next move is similar to yours. I am going to move the HD300 upstairs and move the HD200 back downstairs. The upstairs viewing does not have an AVR in the mix and we will see what happens.

I did try turning the HDMI CES on and off and that did not work. I tried changing HDMI settings in my AVR and that had no effect. I may try using optical auido from the HD300 to my AVR and see what that does. Lastly, I may try moving the HDMI to my AVR from the HD300 directly to the TV.

I am very interested to know how your test of moving another HD300 to location where you are having this issue turns out. That would be a big clue as to whether the issue is hardware or firmware.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Last night I think I had this very same problem on my Panasonic TC-P4251 (with "viera link"). First, the screen would go black after I powered it up. Using the power button the remote did nothing. It did this several times until I finally was able to update the firmware. It also caused a massive "error" that actually shut my tv off. Since I updated the firmware, I haven't had a problem (but then again I am not sure I have turned it off since I updated the firmware). I do believe the "old" firmware did not play nicely with CEC television....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-22-2010, 07:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I submitted another log and hopefully the problem is recorded in it. I stayed up way later than I should have and tried all sorts of things but none worked.

My next move is similar to yours. I am going to move the HD300 upstairs and move the HD200 back downstairs. The upstairs viewing does not have an AVR in the mix and we will see what happens.

I did try turning the HDMI CES on and off and that did not work. I tried changing HDMI settings in my AVR and that had no effect. I may try using optical auido from the HD300 to my AVR and see what that does. Lastly, I may try moving the HDMI to my AVR from the HD300 directly to the TV.

I am very interested to know how your test of moving another HD300 to location where you are having this issue turns out. That would be a big clue as to whether the issue is hardware or firmware.
Well to help save you save you some time mine with the issue is hooked hdmi directly to the tv and using optical to a soundbar receiver . I have others hooked directly to the tv without any optical and another hooked through a receiver with hdmi none of them have issues.