SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

Really basic, rookie question

If I emply Placeshifter, is it possible to get video (live, dead, whatever) from my server to my smart phone (HTC TILT2/ATT) using WM6.5? Thinking about switching to an Android phone; work on that? Server is WIN7, dedicated as media server. I have about 2Mbps cable upload speed (business account).
Old 09-30-2010, 10:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Placeshifter does not run on any mobile platforms that I'm aware of.

There's a third-party web client that runs on most mobile browsers, but it doesn't do playback.

There's also a third-party app for Android, but I'm not familiar with its capbilities.

I believe some iPhone users have cobbled together mobile solutions using various combinations of third-party apps, but again, I'm not up on the details.

Search the forum for iPhone or Android and you should find plenty of discussion.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Worst case scenario is that you should be able to get a third party app like Orb to play video files from your Sage server. I use an app called AirVideo to play video files from my Sage server to my iPad. The problem is that it can't do live video and it doesn't handle folders with hundreds of video files so well since it tries to load thumbnails for all video files.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Sage Expert

I use AirVideo as well. I've seen other mention the issue of it having to load all the thumbnails, but I haven't seen any issue there as I can still scroll up and down easily while it loads the thumbnails... it doesn't pause while it does that. I probably have a couple hundred movie files. For what it's worth.

The live-TV issue is not ideal, although to be clear you can watch a show while it's recording, it's just that the currently recorded length will lock in once you start to watch. So, if you're ok being a few minutes behind the action, you can watch fine but you have to reload every time you get to the end of where the recording was when you started playing.