SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Client Connection to Server Lost [RESOLVED]

Have SageTV V7 Client installed on P4 XP machine. Server is a WHS box. All was working okay. This morning I changed the NIC in the server from the built in RealTec to a new Intel GB NIC.

I now get "The connection to the SageTV Server has been lost. Attempting to restore the connection ..." message when I start Sage.

I have rebooted the server and client machines. An HD 200 fed from the server is working fine. Windows Explorer on the Client shows all files on the server.

When I bypass the error message and go to settings in Sage I get some odd behavior. Going to set the Import directories it shows the server files where I have media stored. I then select a folder, such as the one for videos. When it completes the process it does not show the new import directory. Guess this is linked to the fact that Sage doesn't seem to know where the server is?

Any ides what could be wrong. I really want to use the new Intel NIC for speed now that we have gone to HD.

Thanks for any ideas.

Rod
Old 10-10-2010, 12:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Did the IP change on the Server ? Check the IP in the properties of the client

autoconnect_server_hostname= whatever ....... and make sure it is the same as the server or better yet make sure it is the server name.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Also make sure the server's firewall settings for the new adapter match those for the old adapter.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Did the IP change on the Server ? Check the IP in the properties of the client

autoconnect_server_hostname= whatever ....... and make sure it is the same as the server or better yet make sure it is the server name.

Thanks very much for the response. Unfortunately my networking skills and understanding are very weak, so I'm not fully sure what you are talking about or how to check.

How to find IP's on Client & Server? I got into Sage Info and found Client IP 192.168.1.111

How to know if it's changed?

My server name is MELLSERVER. Sage Client is still finding that when I try to set import directories. But I don't know how to find the Autoconnect Name if that's what you were suggesting.

Thanks again,
Rod
Old 10-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Also make sure the server's firewall settings for the new adapter match those for the old adapter.
I don't think the server has a firewall. Don't believe I have a software one. The network cable is going to a fairly new Linksis 'Unmanaged Gigiabit Switch'. The router is only being use for the internet connection.

Or might WHS have a built in firewall I don't know about? I haven't added any security software to the server.

Thanks for your response.

Rod
Old 10-10-2010, 01:29 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't use WHS but as far as I know all versions of Windows include Windows Firewall software, which has individual settings for each network adapter. The SageTV installer should have configured those settings for the default adapter at the time you installed it, but if you've added a new adapter since then, you may have to configure it manually or else try re-running the SageTV installer in Repair mode.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
I don't use WHS but as far as I know all versions of Windows include Windows Firewall software, which has individual settings for each network adapter. The SageTV installer should have configured those settings for the default adapter at the time you installed it, but if you've added a new adapter since then, you may have to configure it manually or else try re-running the SageTV installer in Repair mode.
I previously reinstalled SageTV, but no help. At your suggestion I reinstalled in "Repair Mode", and still no luck. What I did was to reinstall over the existing install. Sage gave me three options, one of which was Repair Mode. I selected that, but it gave me no options for any changes as it was installing.

Should I do a full uninstall of SageTV? I don't have any settings that I can't get back fairly easily. If this is the approach to take, what files/folders must I delete after doing the regular Sage uninstall in Add/Remove Programs?

Thanks very much,
Rod
Old 10-10-2010, 03:25 PM
SageTVaholic

nwboater,

You should update your signature with your setup details.

1.Your server is WHS

2. What type of client are we talking about? extender or PC client if PC clent what software are you running?

3. If the client is a PC then you can look for autoconnect in the sageclient.properties file. located in C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV.. you can open it with note pad.. make sure the client software is not running and check the autocnnect line... change it to autoconnect_server_hostname=MELLSERVER
Old 10-10-2010, 03:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Or, easier, if you can still get into the detailed setup on the server, the 'autoconnect to server' property is in the General section. It'll either show an IP address (the IP it's configured for) or Disabled (which will cause a pop-up when running the client with a drop down of all sagetv servers it's found on your network). Most likely, the server's OLD ip address is configured in that setting, and since the new network card has a new MAC address, it was assigned a different IP by your router. SageClient tries to conenct to the old server IP, can't find it, so it just pops up the 'Lost Connection' screen. In detailed setup, click on the setting for 'automatically connect to server' and it should change to 'Disabled'. Then, exit and re-run the client. It will scan the network, and present you a 'list' of the servers it finds (should only be one, the NEW IP address of the server). Select that new IP, and continue into the client. It should work fine now. If it does, then go back into detailed setup, and click on the 'Automatically Connect to Server' option again, and it will set it to the 'current' server IP.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Or, easier, if you can still get into the detailed setup on the server, the 'autoconnect to server' property is in the General section. It'll either show an IP address (the IP it's configured for) or Disabled (which will cause a pop-up when running the client with a drop down of all sagetv servers it's found on your network). Most likely, the server's OLD ip address is configured in that setting, and since the new network card has a new MAC address, it was assigned a different IP by your router. SageClient tries to conenct to the old server IP, can't find it, so it just pops up the 'Lost Connection' screen. In detailed setup, click on the setting for 'automatically connect to server' and it should change to 'Disabled'. Then, exit and re-run the client. It will scan the network, and present you a 'list' of the servers it finds (should only be one, the NEW IP address of the server). Select that new IP, and continue into the client. It should work fine now. If it does, then go back into detailed setup, and click on the 'Automatically Connect to Server' option again, and it will set it to the 'current' server IP.
That did it!!! Your whole procedure worked just as you said it would. Thanks so much Fuzzy.

nyplayer - Thanks for all your efforts. My education continues! And I will get some info in my signature. I can now see how it would be helpful to people that are trying to help me. Must admit I used to think of it as a way for folks to brag about all their toys. Now I see it does have a valuable purpose.

GKusnick - Thanks also to you for your efforts. I did find the WHS Firewall. It has an Exception List and in it are Sage.exe and Sage for WHS.

Rod

Last edited by nwboater; 10-10-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:27 PM
SageTVaholic

I am glad you got it working... I just learned something new too from FUZZY never thought of that... If you fell comfortable in the future you might want to change it to the server name in the properties so that way if your IP changes in the future it will still find it.