SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Sage User

Slow network from SageTV

I have been experiencing something strange. Sage is helping me investigate issues with my HD300 with constant slowness and spinning circles.
Now I am noticing that placeshifter on my internal network is also not working properly. Very slow and unwatchable. I have tried the trick to jump off my external IP address so that dynamic whatevertheycallit is on - and I get a watchable show - but I seem to get speeds (in the bar at the top) of 500kbps to 2000kbps. Doesn't matter if wireless or on the router.

Network card on the server is GB, GB router (cisco E3000), wireless N (shows speeds of over 100 MBps). I record OTA, from HDHomeruns.

I have installed some network monitoring tools and all tests show nice quick speeds that I would expect to see.

Watching TV on the server itself with the client is beautiful, no slowdowns, nice HD picture when available.

Any reason why the sage application would not provide full network speed, when network tests show full network is available? Is there a setting in Sage to throttle down remote clients?
Old 11-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Sage Icon

Check yoru server if it is windows XP check to make sure you don't ahve the Microsoft TV/Video connection in your network connections. I keep getting this stupid spyware and it hogs 30% of my network traffic causing sage to come to a crawl on extenders.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Sage User

With SageTV service and a browser running, I open the resource monitor and I see CPU 3%, disk 0KB/sec I/O, Network 0Kbps, and memory 32% used.

Using windows 7. The machine came with Windows Media Center but deactivated that after a few days after I got it.

Watching TV locally I see CPU at 25%, 2060 KB/sec disk, 39 Mbps Network (assume that is HDHomeRun) and 35% Used Physical Memory.

The network bandwidth problem (which if indeed this is?) only seems to be unique to outbound from SageTV, not the other functions of the computer itself.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:31 AM
Sage User

Slow network sagetv

I often have the same issue with my WHS. If I manually stop and restart the service in sage it fixes it for a while. Used to have automated batch file on my XP unit until it crashed to do this daily. Worked great. Found it somewhere in these boards.

Need to update my signature also have HD300

Mike
WHS Headless server, GigaBit MA790XUDP motherboard, AMD 9350E quad core 2.01, 2 GB Ram, Hauppauge PVR 500, Hauppauge 1600, WRT54GS router, Net Gear 5 port Gigaswitch, 3 HD 300, TV' Panasonic 65" Plasma,Panasonic 42" Plasma
Old 12-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Sage User

I have been having some randomness with issues on my HD300, I will look into restarting the SageTV service and see what that does. Restarting the service doesn't seem to effect the bandwidth available for Placeshifter. No matter what I do I can't get it to match the available bandwidth on my network.

Running on a 100 MBps network what should placeshifter be showing me in the top right corner as far as bandwidth utilization (given I have to bounce off my external IP through my router to get my that utilization number).

tnx