SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Sage User

HD300 Wireless ENUWI-N

Since the officially supported Encore ENUWI-N was sold out at SageTV, I searched for one online. I noticed that several online stores are either out of stock or have discontinued this item, and offer instead, the ENUWI-N3 or ENUWI-N4.

I ended up getting the ENUWI-N3 because it looked exactly the same as the ENUWI-N and appeared to be the new and improved model. I wrongly assumed it would be compatible with the HD300.

I confirmed with support and received this reply:
-----
John,

Unfortunately it has to be exactly model number ENUWI-N for it to work with
the HD300.

Thanks,

George Oms
SageTV, LLC
http://www.sagetv.com
-----

Hope this helps others who are planning to buy the HD300 and use it over a wireless network. There are some threads about other adapters being compatible with the HD200, but I'm not sure if they apply to the HD300 as well.

Also, I found the ENUWI-N in stock here:

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?...-N-USB-Adapter

I paid a little over $20 which included shipping.

John
Old 12-13-2010, 04:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

FYI.. The ENUWI-N wont recognize 5ghz 802.11N networks only 2.5ghz. I did just happen to have a linksys wireless stick that does 2.5ghz and 5ghz but unfortunately the only network it will recognize with the HD300 is a 5ghz 802.11n but nothing else... (2.5ghz G/B,etc..)
Old 12-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncaruso View Post
Also, I found the ENUWI-N in stock here:

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?...-N-USB-Adapter

I paid a little over $20 which included shipping.

John
Update: Argh... I was sent the ENUWI-NX2 which also does not work. I spoke with the supplier about this and it turns out they ship either the -N or -NX2 and cannot guarantee what will be received. Their product listing is a bit confusing as the title shows ENUWI-N but in the details it lists Manufacturer Part#: ENUWI-N/-NX2.

Well, at least they'll refund my purchase, minus the shipping.

If anyone knows an online supplier with the ENUWI-N in stock and received the correct model, please let me know.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

John:

It's nowhere near as cheap a solution as a $20 USB wireless dongle, but there are other options. Either a powerline adaptor or something like the Buffalo nFiniti ethernet converter (essentially one half of a wireless-n "bridge") will also work. So could a MOCA type arrangement if you have satellite or cable TV RF cables in the house you wanted to take advantage of for networking (but that's the most expensive of the 3 options). I think in price order it would be ethernet converter (the one I mentioned is about $80 from Newegg right now), powerline adaptors (about $120, various brands), or a MOCA pair (last I checked in the $225 type range, but you get much better data bandwidth).

Essentially the guidance from Sage is for USB networking attachments. But if you are just plugging into the Ethernet port and using some other hardware such that the HD300 doesn't "know" it's not on a "wired" network connection, you're also good to go.

I've had rock-solid performance from my Buffalo converter - I'm reserving 5 GHz "N" for only my HD300, while everything else in the house is connecting via a/b/g on the 2.4 GHz channel. My router (wired and wireless hub) is upstairs and my HD300 is downstairs, and signal level is regularly 70% or more per the converter. The one time my HD300 recently couldn't connect (the converter's security light was in fast-flash mode, indicating it had failed to connect) it turns out we'd had a power outage and my Dlink router failed to restart both the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios. A reset of the router and it was all golden again. In other words - it wasn't the Buffalo or the HD300's fault.