SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD-300 DOA

Has anyone had trouble with a device that appears to be DOA right out of the box? I just got mine, and it doesn't do anything. After powering it on and I get the blue LED, but no video. I've tried the HDMI as well as the component and composit outputs (w/the HDMI cable disconnected) and my TV reports "no signal". I've verified the TV was selected for the right inputs, and even tried each of my TVs multiple connections for each interface type. Also, the remote doesn't seem to do anything (e.g. it won't power the device off, which according to the manual the blue LED should turn red). I'm not sure if it's supposed to be able to do that before it's configured, it's just an observation.

Is there anything I can do to get it working? I posted a note to Sage's support, but they claim they won't respond for up to 72 hours (which translates to mid next week since it's now a weekend).

I'm so disappointed. Interestingly enough the "quality assurance" slip in the box was blank, so I guess this one wasn't tested/inspected by anyone. I'm guessing they'll probably exchange it, but I sure hope if they do they're not going to make me pay for shipping to return it. That would just not be right.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Sage User

Does sound like yours is DOA. Mine came right up on the HDMI connection to my tv and the LED is suppose to go to red when it is turned off. I haven't looked at mine but I suppose there isn't any reset button on the unit that would supposedly put it back to defaults? But back to your post, it does sound like they are going to have to exchange it.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

I found a post from Sage about how to do a config reset, which I missed in the manual (power up w/"back" button pressed on remote). However, while scrolling around in the menus, the device crashes after approximately 2 minutes (as in video is lost, device no longer responds to the remote, etc). Unplug the unit for 10 seconds, plug it back in and I'm good for another 2 minutes or so.

I had to manually download the firmware and drop it on a USB device before it would actually flash right (failed from the net, failed after even adding it to the right place on the sagetv server where sagetv.exe resides). Anyway, now the darned thing just crashes repeatedly. Doesn't seem like a very stable device if it only runs for 2 minutes.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:37 PM
SageTVaholic

The HD300 is a stable device. Your HD300 appears to not be. You shouldn't have to flash the software to get it to turn On. I'd contact support and get a replacement.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

This device is incredibly unstable. It crashes within about 2 minutes every time it's powered up. Sometimes when applying power either nothing happens or the SageTV logo appears (begins responding to a ping) then it disappears and nothing happens (crashes, response to a ping stops). The rest of the time, the device boots, and stays up, but crashes within about 2 minutes. This happens regardless of whether it connects to the SageTV server or not.

When the device crashes, sometimes the blue LED goes out, sometimes it doesn't. Every time it crashes the led on the external USB thumb drive goes out and it stops responding to a ping.

I'm really disappointed in this thing.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Sorry but it's broke. You have a bad one. Contact the Sage store and arrange a RMA for the device. This is rare and doesn't happen very often at all.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Sage User

Gary,

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me with an HD-300. Would shut off within a couple of minutes, remote not responsive, etc.
As others have suggested, work with the support team to get your unit replaced. They may want you to try to gather logs, but they will replace it if it continues to have a problem. While frustrated with my first HD-300, I am very pleased with my replacement.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary201 View Post
...but I sure hope if they do they're not going to make me pay for shipping to return it. That would just not be right.
I have no idea how Sage handles defective returns, but I just wanted to weigh in on this very prevalent attitude I see everywhere.

I used to buy quite a bit of stuff from catalogs before the Internet came along. I absolutely despise sales tax!

When one buys something from a catalog, or over the Internet, one generally gets a better price than can be obtained locally. This better price comes with an added risk of small extra costs when the merchandise is defective. While most companies (and probably Sage) will pay all the shipping for defective merchandise, I always consider this an extra service provided by the seller. I do not consider it a mandatory requirement. I weigh the cost of shipping when I consider an online purchase, and if it is too much, I bite the bullet and shop locally. I buy anything large locally, because I do not want to accept the risk of return shipping should something go wrong. I also buy anything I need "right now" locally as well, but that's another post.

This attitude helps me shop online with a bit more peace of mind. It helps me have a better experience with companies when something does go wrong. It really makes my whole online shopping experience better. I know that even with a small percent of defective stuff I have to send back, I still have the convenience and savings of having stuff show up on my porch. Heck, with the price of gas, you pretty much have to spend 2 gallons to return something locally anyway. Plus, my time is valuable to me. I'd rather wait for the Brown Santa to bring things to me, than have to go stand in a line.

...just thought I'd share a bit of my personal World View acquired during my 51 years on this planet.

SageTV is a great product. I'd hate to see anyone deprive themselves of a good experience over ten or fifteen bucks.

Last edited by mitchedo; 01-09-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 AM
SageTVaholic

As posted on the SageTV store:

Quote:
All returns for hardware must be pre-authorized by SageTV as described below. Your right to obtain a refund for hardware purchased from SageTV lasts only for a limited time. Returned hardware products must contain all components (CD, manuals, software carton, etc.) that were included in the original shipment. No credit will be issued for incomplete or non-SageTV product returns. All returns must be postmarked to SageTV within 30 days after the date SageTV originally shipped the product. All hardware returns must have a Return Merchandise Authorization number (RMA) clearly displayed on the outside of the return package. To receive your RMA for hardware refunds, please send an e-mail to orders@sagetv.com . Shipping and handling charges will not be refunded and a 10% restocking charge will be applied. Any returns requested for hardware purchased in a bundle will be credited less the retail cost of the applicable software purchased in that bundle.

Products not purchased directly from SageTV must be returned to the place of purchase (Web store, etc.) and are subject to the return policies of the place of purchase.
Contact the store to return defective merchandise. (As bolded above)

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary201 View Post
Has anyone had trouble with a device that appears to be DOA right out of the box? I just got mine, and it doesn't do anything. After powering it on and I get the blue LED, but no video. I've tried the HDMI as well as the component and composit outputs (w/the HDMI cable disconnected) and my TV reports "no signal". I've verified the TV was selected for the right inputs, and even tried each of my TVs multiple connections for each interface type. Also, the remote doesn't seem to do anything (e.g. it won't power the device off, which according to the manual the blue LED should turn red). I'm not sure if it's supposed to be able to do that before it's configured, it's just an observation.

Is there anything I can do to get it working? I posted a note to Sage's support, but they claim they won't respond for up to 72 hours (which translates to mid next week since it's now a weekend).

I'm so disappointed. Interestingly enough the "quality assurance" slip in the box was blank, so I guess this one wasn't tested/inspected by anyone. I'm guessing they'll probably exchange it, but I sure hope if they do they're not going to make me pay for shipping to return it. That would just not be right.
Had exactly the same issue with mine that was purchased in December. Arrived completely DOA & Support was extremely poor. My last question to them asking about their RMA policy was never even answered.

I am a qualified Electronic Engineer with many years of experience designing and debugging mixed signal systems so instead of going through the pain of trying to return something to Sage that was clearly broken from the time it was shipped, I took the chance in opening it myself to go about fixing it. I only did this as they never responded to my email about an RMA and the fact that I'm in Europe meant return shipping costs were going to be >$50. Couple that with the fact that I'd be without a working Sage system for a few weeks & I figured it was worth the chance.

On opening the box, the first place to start was so obvious. There is obviously a design flaw in the HD300 that has been fixed with a bodged in capacitor. It's been inserted to create an RC timing delay feeding the gate of a logic device but whoever is adding this 'fix' has pretty poor soldering skills and the units are NOT being tested afterwards. This to me is shocking quality control - modifying the hardware without a retest??

When I did dig further into things, when the additional capacitor was added to fix the design problem, they fractured another surface mount resistor that the cap was soldered to. This can happen but should have been caught immediately if it was tested afterwards. The fix was an easy one for me, replace the broken resistor and all worked well since.

My main gripe here is the lack of support and quality control. Support didn't answer once I'd asked about an RMA, QC is non-existent if they're shipping modified PCBs without any testing. I didn't even bother posting this before now as I figured it might have been a 1 off but if other people are getting DOA HD300's, then they may as well know it's not an isolated incident. Just my 2c.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickm View Post
My last question to them asking about their RMA policy was never even answered.
Or perhaps they did answer, and your spam filter ate it, and you never followed up to find out why they didn't respond. The overwhelming consensus on this forum is that Sage support is quite good and very diligent about answering their email.

Quote:
...and the units are NOT being tested afterwards. This to me is shocking quality control - modifying the hardware without a retest??
Indeed, it's so shocking that it seems unlikely to be true. Perhaps the unit was retested, and passed, but was damaged in shipping. Seems like it would have been worth an email to Sage support to find out -- but I'm guessing you didn't do that.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:42 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Or perhaps they did answer, and your spam filter ate it, and you never followed up to find out why they didn't respond. The overwhelming consensus on this forum is that Sage support is quite good and very diligent about answering their email.
Nope, no reply received and no, it didn't end up being filtered. Previous emails from Support/George were received no problem and I regularly check my Junk folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Indeed, it's so shocking that it seems unlikely to be true. Perhaps the unit was retested, and passed, but was damaged in shipping. Seems like it would have been worth an email to Sage support to find out -- but I'm guessing you didn't do that.
Based on my experience with the failure mechanism of this particular part, this is something that happened as part of the bodged capacitor fix, not as part of shipping. This type of resistor internal breakage/fracture usually occurs due to overheating, not mechanical vibration or impact.

I'm not going to get into an argument with you as to 'overwhelming consensus' but simply relating my experience so that if it happens to anyone else, they know they're not alone. The tell tale sign that pointed to a hardware issue for me initially was that the LED at the front looked like it was purple as both the red and blue parts were illuminated.

I'm happy with the unit now that I've fixed it myself, have been using SageTV for many years and will continue to do so.

Last edited by mickm; 01-11-2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm not going to get into an argument with you as to 'overwhelming consensus' but simply relating my experience...
If you had simply related the facts of your experience (i.e. modified PCB, damaged resistor, non-functional unit), then I wouldn't have a problem with that. But you went beyond that and made an accusation of shoddy support and QA practices at Sage that doesn't square with my experience. That kind of accusation, in my opinion, requires much stronger evidence than you've given.

Tags
dead, doa, fails, hd-300