SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

All encoders are in use by clients viewing "Live" TV

I have a WHS with a client pc and a HD300. I changed channels on the PC, but when i try to change channels from the HD300 i get this error. How can I force the client or the extender to take control of the tunners?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Clients don't "take control" of tuners in Sage. They ask to watch a particular show or channel, and the server finds a free tuner to use for that task. But if somebody else is watching the old channel on another client, then that tuner isn't free and can't be used to tune a different channel.

If nobody is actually watching on the other client -- i.e. it's playing to an empty room, or you forgot to push Stop before turning off the TV -- there's no way for Sage to know that. So either get in the habit of stopping playback before turning off the TV (or program a universal remote to do it for you), or else use the web remote or some similar plugin to remotely stop playback on clients that aren't being used.

Also note that playing video in the menu background counts as watching live TV. So if you have fewer tuners than clients, be sure to disable that option on all clients so it doesn't tie up tuners unnecessarily.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:29 PM
SageTVaholic

There's also the 'AutoSleep' plugin that will automatically sleep the unattended clients after a period of inactivity to keep the abandoned clients from hogging up the tuners unnecessarily.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

May I ask why is that? is it by design or is a technical issue that cannot be address? I ask because I saw a thread from 2005 with the same problem and it still exist. I say "problem" by my personal viewing habit, because I currently has 2 TV's with one capture device. I think it is more HTPC friendly to just automatically take control of the capture device either with a push of a button or simply automatically take control of it. In a house environment, i think it is not a big deal to just change the channel even if someone is viewing live-tv as with just a scream you can explain to who was viewing tv that you just wanted to change the channel, but with the current system, if no one is at the tv, you have to stand up "a really big deal" from my couch or bed to go to the other room and press stop.

Is there a plugin that change channels remotely that can be used with just the remote control of the extender?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielcab View Post
May I ask why is that? is it by design or is a technical issue that cannot be address? I ask because I saw a thread from 2005 with the same problem and it still exist. I say "problem" by my personal viewing habit, because I currently has 2 TV's with one capture device. I think it is more HTPC friendly to just automatically take control of the capture device either with a push of a button or simply automatically take control of it. In a house environment, i think it is not a big deal to just change the channel even if someone is viewing live-tv as with just a scream you can explain to who was viewing tv that you just wanted to change the channel, but with the current system, if no one is at the tv, you have to stand up "a really big deal" from my couch or bed to go to the other room and press stop.
It's by design and yes it is a big deal for most people if someone from another location changes the channel on them while they're watching something. I can only imagine how many complaints there would be if other users could take control of a tuner. Imagine watching a sporting event. The game is on the line with 2 seconds left and suddenly you're watching Sponge Bob Square Pants. Same could be said with watching a crime/mystery movie and they're about to reveal the culprit and someone changes the channel on you from another room.

The way I see it if the tuner is actually in use then another user shouldn't be able to hijack the tuner from them. If someone has just left live TV playing and no one is watching then whoever left it playing should learn to press stop when they're finished. I used to leave live TV playing before I got Sage; however, I never left a DVD or VHS tape playing when I left the room. The way I use Sage is very similar to how I treat DVD or VHS in that if I'm not in the room I don't leave it playing.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
In a house environment, i think it is not a big deal to just change the channel even if someone is viewing live-tv as with just a scream you can explain to who was viewing tv that you just wanted to change the channel
What if that other person isn't in the house? What if it's a placeshifter client in a completely different location?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:50 PM
SageTVaholic

This is why most Sage users record using favorites and watch recordings. Never, or rarely LiveTV. If Live TV is truly a desire then the rule of thumb is one tuner for each user that wants to watch Live TV perTV.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I say "problem" by my personal viewing habit, because I currently has 2 TV's with one capture device.
If you want to be able to channel-surf freely on two TVs at the same time, you're going to need at least two capture devices to avoid conflicts. You can get by with fewer tuners than TVs, but only if you break the channel-surfing habit and learn to watch primarily pre-recorded TV, leaving the tuners free for scheduled recording tasks.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

This is exactly why I'll be investing in another pair of HdHomeRun dual tuners to give me a capacity of 8 tuners total -- We're spoiled after living with two dual-tuner Tivo's (care of DirecTV) where we can record two shows on each Tivo and watch a 3rd.. I want to make sure we've got plenty of capacity..
Old 01-12-2011, 11:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx-addict View Post
This is exactly why I'll be investing in another pair of HdHomeRun dual tuners to give me a capacity of 8 tuners total -- We're spoiled after living with two dual-tuner Tivo's (care of DirecTV) where we can record two shows on each Tivo and watch a 3rd.. I want to make sure we've got plenty of capacity..
I don't think I'd ever have something on 8 broadcast channels that are worth recording at a time. Unless you're lucky enough to still use those HDHomeRun's with your cable provider, this seems excessive.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Perhaps.. I've not yet ordered the extra 2 tuners and may drop it to a single one giving me 6 tuners. I've got 5 people in our house and each has their likes/dislikes and I know we've run out of tuners with the current dual-tuner DirecTV boxes on occasion and the HdHomeRuns just aren't that expensive at $99 -- all things considered.

I will have to fab something up in the garage, on the wall, to hold all of the cabling and these units so it's not a rats nest of cabling. Too bad it won't fit into my cabling enclosures.. Oh well.. A nice piece of plywood mounted on the wall and painted white will work nicely..
Old 01-13-2011, 09:47 AM
SageTVaholic

My point was with OTA, there's just not that many compelling channels. Even here in the chock full LA market, I can't imagine ever needing more than 3 OTA tuners. Do you really think CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, WB, AND PBS are all going to be playing something that someone will want to watch - at the same time?

That said, yes, they aren't that expensive - and it does give you the assurance that you will never have conflicts. Just figured I'd bring up that it may not really be all that necessary.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
My point was with OTA, there's just not that many compelling channels. Even here in the chock full LA market, I can't imagine ever needing more than 3 OTA tuners. Do you really think CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, WB, AND PBS are all going to be playing something that someone will want to watch - at the same time?

That said, yes, they aren't that expensive - and it does give you the assurance that you will never have conflicts. Just figured I'd bring up that it may not really be all that necessary.
True.. I may be OK with 4 tuners -- it's still up in the air as to how the kidlins will act once they lose their DirecTV with cartoon network, Disney channels,etc.. My 9 year old has already been complaining -- he'll get over it..