SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Sage User

USB Bios settings for HDPVR

I upgraded my CPU on my Sage TV server a couple of days ago. During the setup process I was looking through the Motherboard BIOS settings (ASUS P5Q Deluxe) when I noticed a speed setting for USB 2.0. The choice selected was "high" speed and I remarked - yea high speed should be great. Upon further investigation I cycled through the other choice and found there to be a "full" speed choice offered as well. The speeds were listed, and I would have to return to the Sage server BIOS in the basement, to know for sure, but I recall high speed as being 480 KB or so and full speed as 12.? MB. I of course chose full speed and have had no HDPVR issues since but its only been a couple of days. Could this have anything to do with my intermittent HDPVR failures?? (HDPVR stops producing signal or the video and sound are out of sync)
I have 2 hdpvr's and it's not unusual for them to go for weeks without issue followed by days of nothing but recording failures.

I will watch and see what happens
8 gig ram windows 10 64 bit, sage V9.2.0.441 64 bit running in a VM on a ESXI 6.0 host - Xeon 1246 E3 - 32 GB ram, 2 TB recording drive with the controller passed through and 5 TB recording drive spave in a Freenas server, 1 silicon dust HDHR DUO and 1 Quatro for 6 OTA tuners, 1 HDHR Prime for 3 cable tuners, 2 BM1000-HDMI network encoders for cableboxes, 2 Placeshifters, 3 extenders, 1client
Old 01-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

For USB 2.0

Hi-Speed = 480Mbits/s
Full Speed = 12Mbits/s - ie = USB 1.1 max

I'm assuming the HDPVR has a Hi-Speed interface in which case if it's plugged directly into the PC and the bios is set to hi-speed, that should give the highest transfer rates between the HDPVR and the PC.

Whether the motherboard is bug free and capable, the USB cables are upto it or the HDPVR interface is upto are another matter.

If it's rock solid at Full Speed then it's likely something in the chain isn't working properly at Hi-Speed. It could be something as simple as a usb cable with bad/damaged wiring.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Sage Fanatic

I had mine server default all USB ports to USB 1.1 out of the blue one day, and the HDPVR's did not work very well.
SERVER: Win 7 x64/i7-860/Zotac H55ITX-C-E/Corsair H70/CFI a7879 case/12 TB Pooled with Drive Bender. DVBLogic: streaming HDPVR content to SageTV, WMC Clients, NPVR Clients, Remote Computers & iphone. 2ea HDPVR, 3ea HDHomeRun, 2ea VIP211
Old 01-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

I learned the hard way when i was setting up that if your mobo isn't configured to hi speed (the faster one, silly naming conventions!) AND your usb drivers in your OS are for USB 2.0, you're not gonna have a good time with PVRs.
HI speed, 2.0 drivers. make sure or you'll suffer.
1x HDHR (dual tuner) <- Verizon wire
3x HD200 wired latest beta fw
Gig-E wired network