SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-18-2011, 01:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hundreds of "Halt Detected in Recording" (no errors to be found)

Since I first got SageTV up and running I have gotten hundreds of these errors most times they have the yellow circle with an "i" but I also remember getting some with a red circle and I don't remember what the letter was.

Originally I had 3xHDHomeRun tuners with Vista Business, but now I have the Hauppauge cards on W7 Pro. I'm 95% sure I had the errors with the older set up, but it was over 1.5 years ago and I leave room for memory loss because I never really cared much about this till now.

Anyway every month or so I go in and "Delete All" in the system messages because there is latterly hundreds of errors, yet I have yet to see a single blip or issue with any recording.

I'm guessing there is just a setting that needs to be loosened up some place. Perhaps an allow w/e many milliseconds of blank frames before triggering a message, but I don't know where to start looking.
3x HD200 for front end hooked to TVs
1x Placeshifter License for remote connections
Old 03-18-2011, 02:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Join the club

I have had the same issue since I started using Sage V7. I have been told by sage help that it is my HDD taking time to start or my tv card drivers. I have addressed both but no change. I can't seem to change the message settings to reduce the number of error messages.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Sage User

I also get the Halt Detected error. I've got 1 HDHomeRun. I've wondered if it's a HDHomeRun issue, or a Sage issue.

What I've noticed, is that primarily, let's say, I've got a tuner tied up simply watching whatever live tv (in other words, not a Favourite for recording). I get these "Halt detected...." errors with these types of shows. I've only had a handful of these errors with Favourites. Sometimes I'll get multiples (and I mean a lot) for one single recording.

I'd sure love to hear if there is a setting or something I could change to eliminate these errors, because it doesn't appear to effect the recording.

I did post about this a little while ago in the following thead http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53777

In that thread, someone commented on replaceing the MPEG2DUMP.ax file with one available on Sage's website. The link was in that thread, but I've also copied it here http://download.sage.tv/users/qian/7.0.23/MPEG2Dump.ax
I've gone ahead and made a backup of my version 7.1.12 MPEG2DUMP.ax file, and replaced it with the one in the above link. It seems to have resolved what was my earlier problem which was "Halt Detected...", but it happened 1 minute past the start time of the recording. I still get "Halt Detected..." but it's at random times.

Last edited by hackzaw; 03-18-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm HDHomeRun too... I got hundreds of these when I changed the directory location on WHS and was trying to set up a new Share and it went on for weeks.

It happened after I also changed from drive letter to referencing the share via UNC at the same time... eventually I created a new Share / UNC path and the problems went away. It was kind of random which show it would happen on but yeah "Halt Detected"... and the description of the error was something like "A tuner might be failing" or something. But it was all to do with Sage directing the HDHomerun to write data to the WHS share. As I said all would record just fine, never missed a recording. But somewhere the network, Sage, WHS, UNC table, rights... something wasn't right.

I'm pretty sure the way I fixed it was to create a new share on WHS, confirming the service had rights to the location, and reset all my settings on Sage to the new UNC.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Sage User

I'm seeing a few of these as well with HDHomerun. This is a new S7 install so I don't have anything to compare it to.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm using 5 of the HVR-1600 now, and no HDHR.
I do have 4 recording HDDs and I know that they do go idle and spin down quite a bit. If waiting for them to spin up at the start of a recording will trigger an message / error then I'm sure that a lot of the messages are from this.

I wonder if there is a way to get Sage to spin up the drive at the start of recording rather then waiting for it to write the show. I understand that this is only a couple seconds later, but that might make all the difference in the world for my errors at least.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVining View Post
I'm using 5 of the HVR-1600 now, and no HDHR.
I do have 4 recording HDDs and I know that they do go idle and spin down quite a bit. If waiting for them to spin up at the start of a recording will trigger an message / error then I'm sure that a lot of the messages are from this.

I wonder if there is a way to get Sage to spin up the drive at the start of recording rather then waiting for it to write the show. I understand that this is only a couple seconds later, but that might make all the difference in the world for my errors at least.
I get these all the time with a pair of ATI TV Wonder's going to a drive that is physically in my quad core server. Not doing any HD. Most of the time they hurt nothing and leave no evidence in the videos, the only time it is an issue is when I get the red circle errors and I have to physically pull power from the machine and restart it, then it's fine for another 2 - 3 months.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Same issue here - I'm recording with 2 PCI-Express DVB-S cards. Situation improved a lot with the mentioned version of mpeg2dump.ax . Currently the message are only occuring when starting a recording and hard disk was idle and has to wake up.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

I wonder if there is a way to just comment out that error all together in a file/script some place.

I nearly lost a bunch of recordings do to channel line up change for OTA tuners. It was pure luck that I happened to be working on the server at the time and saw the error. I would love it if the error messages actually meant I should read them.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Sage User

I don't get hundreds of these but I do get quite a few. I'm using V7 with 3 HDHR tuners. I don't seem to have any problems viewing the recordings though.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

After starting to use a Seagate Momentum XT (hybrid hard disk) the errors disappeard - so I suspect that the power safe of my classic harddisks was the cause of my issues.

Tags
halt detected, system messages