SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Phoenix
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Phoenix This forum is for discussing the user-created Phoenix custom interface for SageTV.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnadeau View Post
Would it be possible to add netflix or playon plugin support?
Definately possible... and it will happen, eventually.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Definately possible... and it will happen, eventually.
Netflix or Playon?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:17 PM
SageTVaholic

As of now, the only way to add Netflix support within Sage is via Playon.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:20 AM
SageTVaholic

I'll take another stab a playon (which will bring in netflix) - but i think there are some limitations to netflix under playon, and I'm not sure I'd want to use it as my main netflix client.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:23 AM
Sage Expert

I use Playon almost daily. It is the only thing stopping me from switching to Phoenix.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreco View Post
I use Playon almost daily. It is the only thing stopping me from switching to Phoenix.
Unfortunately, it'll be a few months before there is a playon solution for Phoenix
Old 06-29-2011, 08:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Just want to make sure that people don't get the impression you can't use PlayOn in Phoenix at all - it works fine via the Online Menu (temporary switch to the default STV). Sure if you use it extensively it's probably a PITA, but for my casual Netflix movie watching it is totally sufficient right now...

Dirk
Old 06-29-2011, 08:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Unfortunately, it'll be a few months before there is a playon solution for Phoenix
The functionality that will come in a couple of months will be online videos from a UPnP source (like playon) integrated into a VFS - so a video from Netflix (via playon) is another video that is listed in the UMB.

For now, as Dirk says, you can still get to playon easily in the default STV. I'll see if we can add some links that go directly to playon in the default STV instead of just dumping you at the top of the Online Videos portion - still a bit of a PITA but not as bad maybe....

btl.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
For now, as Dirk says, you can still get to playon easily in the default STV. I'll see if we can add some links that go directly to playon in the default STV instead of just dumping you at the top of the Online Videos portion - still a bit of a PITA but not as bad maybe....

btl.
I did know that, but it's all about WAF The direct links might help...
Old 06-29-2011, 04:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The functionality that will come in a couple of months will be online videos from a UPnP source (like playon) integrated into a VFS - so a video from Netflix (via playon) is another video that is listed in the UMB.

btl.
Why don't you just recognize them from the importer like diamond does? If you include all sources from the upnp source it is going to get really messy really fast. The stvi mod to play the imported files is pretty straightforward.

If you have a look at the diamond API you can see how to easily differentiate between what is playon imported files and what isn't.

Crawling back to my hole just trying to help
Old 06-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Sage Icon

I decided to remove my post because while I was just message around and jokin with plucky I by no way want to take away from all of the amazing work that be does and has done in the past.

Diamond is awesome and a great addition to sage! Thanks to all the countless hours put in to make it amazing.

Same goes for Phoenix

I'll go back in my silent observing taking care of a baby hole now.

Last edited by PiX64; 06-29-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Why don't you just recognize them from the importer like diamond does? If you include all sources from the upnp source it is going to get really messy really fast. The stvi mod to play the imported files is pretty straightforward.

If you have a look at the diamond API you can see how to easily differentiate between what is playon imported files and what isn't.

Crawling back to my hole just trying to help
Is the playon importer a stvless plugin? ie, does it require the default STV to be loaded in order to work? If not, then I'm guessing people are already seeing "playon" files in phoenix, but they just won't play, is that correct? We could probably support playing playon files, but that's not my area

Supporting UPnP has other advantages as well, outside of the the playon realm, so it would be nice to support UPnP, and we would end up supporting Playon as a side effect.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Sage Icon

Before I disabled the importer I was def seeing playon files but when trying to play them it would say something like you shouldn't be seeing this make sure playon plugin is installed.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Is the playon importer a stvless plugin? ie, does it require the default STV to be loaded in order to work? If not, then I'm guessing people are already seeing "playon" files in phoenix, but they just won't play, is that correct? We could probably support playing playon files, but that's not my area

Supporting UPnP has other advantages as well, outside of the the playon realm, so it would be nice to support UPnP, and we would end up supporting Playon as a side effect.
Yes the importer is stvless. The beauty of it is it allows scraping metadata fully for the dummy files much better than upnp in that sense.

You would just need the calls to handle the dummy files which is simple stvi work. Also the call to identify the playon dummy files is helpil for filtering then you get a better division between them. you can also seperate Netflix from hulu files as EP did a great job with this all around and it is simply embedded metadata on yeh dummy file
Old 06-29-2011, 08:17 PM
SageTVaholic

EP was sposed to port his code over for us, but then he got distracted with that other UI'ish project

But yes, we can probably add support for the queue importer files, but we'll have to do a bit of work to move that code into the core - I don't want to mess with any kind of playback in the STV side.

btl.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
I've never looked at the plugin, so I don't know how complicated it is. We have implemented our own flavor of toast for displaying messages to the user, so it might not be all that difficult to add. But it still might make more sense for it to be a plugin rather than part of the core. We have an awful lot of other things to work on to fill out the base functionality.

Aloha,
Mike
Show me the toast! LOL So, how do you display messages? Tell me more.
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
- I don't want to mess with any kind of playback in the STV side.

btl.
CAn I ask why? That is kind of the point of the importer. Without it you can't play the files viewing them wouldn't add any value. It is just a simple call to call up the online file vs a local file no different then playing back in the online library.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
CAn I ask why? That is kind of the point of the importer. Without it you can't play the files viewing them wouldn't add any value. It is just a simple call to call up the online file vs a local file no different then playing back in the online library.
In phoenix the "playback" is handled in code so that from the STV you simply call, "phoenix.media.Play(MediaFile)", and the code takes care of actually doing anything special. This enables us to NOT have to code the logic in multiple places, etc, and if someone wants to create their own views in Phoenix, then they can leverage that.

For example, for online videos (which is not completed yet), the code handles downloading, streaming, and watching the download, so that the STV dodesn't need to do this (something I wished the core sagetv did, so that I didn't have to re-invent this)

When we handle playon, it will be handled the same way, so that it becomes transparent to the UMB in terms of how to play it.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
In phoenix the "playback" is handled in code so that from the STV you simply call, "phoenix.media.Play(MediaFile)", and the code takes care of actually doing anything special. This enables us to NOT have to code the logic in multiple places, etc, and if someone wants to create their own views in Phoenix, then they can leverage that.

For example, for online videos (which is not completed yet), the code handles downloading, streaming, and watching the download, so that the STV dodesn't need to do this (something I wished the core sagetv did, so that I didn't have to re-invent this)

When we handle playon, it will be handled the same way, so that it becomes transparent to the UMB in terms of how to play it.
Right but as a stopgap you are using the default playing method for the online section since you revert to it correct? Would be easy to link playon files there. Just a suggestion and trying to help.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Right but as a stopgap you are using the default playing method for the online section since you revert to it correct? Would be easy to link playon files there. Just a suggestion and trying to help.
We aren't actually doing anything with online videos at the moment... ie, if you want online videos, you need to go to the default stv, and browse and play from there.