SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Batch Metadata Tools
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Batch Metadata Tools This forums is for discussing the user-created Batch Metadata Tools for SageTV.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Limit size of Meta Data?

Using the latest Diamond release, latest BMT release, and the SageTV Beta 7.1.2.

This might be covered in the docs but for some reason when I try to view the BMT docs on the google doc site, it is asking for my gmail password which I can't seem to remember. Not sure why google wants me to log into just to view docs. Anyway...

I have approx 130 movies in my library. Also, I have about 50 tv shows that have metadata for. BMT, of course, fetches all of this for me so nicely! I was curious yesterday and wanted to check how much space all of this was eating up. I was kinda surprised that it was approximately 600MB worth of data. Now I know that hard drive space is dirt cheap nowadays but I was wondering if there is a way somehow limit the size of this stuff.

I didn't do any further "digging" to see exactly what metadata is inside each folder for each tv show/movie. But isn't all that is really needed is one poster art image, one background image, and then the meta data info that contains move synopsis, actors, etc?? Or is this all that BMT is currently getting and it is this that is accounting for the 600MB of data.

Just curious...
Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am sure that in the BMT WebUI, in the configuration you have the ability to set the maximum number of fanart items to download, and as well the maximum size you want them to be (scaling).

Grant
Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 AM
SageTVaholic

The background, banner and poster will account for most of the data space. The other metadata is text. But how are you measuring this? Keep in mind various plugins and Diamond will rescale the graphics (background, posters banners) into a more friendly size for the extenders. So you will have multiple copies. In case you are just looking at it from a total disk space being used aspect. And you can limit how many items you download. So you could just download 1 background, 1 banner and 1 poster. But that's about it. It's that or nothing and then you can just turn off BMT. I have over 600 movies and over 100 recordings. Now's not the time for me to worry about what fanart takes up. Like you said-diska are cheap.

Gerry

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfMany View Post
I am sure that in the BMT WebUI, in the configuration you have the ability to set the maximum number of fanart items to download, and as well the maximum size you want them to be (scaling).

Grant
You are probably right. I am not at the SageTV Server machine right now. I'll check it when I get home. It was on my mind and work and I wanted to post before I forgot about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
The background, banner and poster will account for most of the data space. The other metadata is text. But how are you measuring this? Keep in mind various plugins and Diamond will rescale the graphics (background, posters banners) into a more friendly size for the extenders. So you will have multiple copies. In case you are just looking at it from a total disk space being used aspect. And you can limit how many items you download. So you could just download 1 background, 1 banner and 1 poster. But that's about it. It's that or nothing and then you can just turn off BMT. I have over 600 movies and over 100 recordings. Now's not the time for me to worry about what fanart takes up. Like you said-diska are cheap.

Gerry
I measured it in Windows. I right clicked on my top level metadata folder and then click "properties". Windows reported it as 600MB in size. I was wondering why there are lots of copies of seemingly the same thing but it does make sense that Diamond will need to resize them for display on the extenders. I'll play with BMT when I get home and tell it to just download 1 poster art and 1 background if it isn't already set to that.

Its really not a big deal. Considering one DVD takes up around 7GB, all my meta data together is still only about 1/16th the size of only one DVD. That coupled with the fact that I store all my movies on a 2TB drive and that drive is only 1/2 full.... Well you see where I'm going. Lots of room for expansion yet.