SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Getting comfortable with studio

I just started using studio so I could get used to moving around so I could begin creating my own Music UI. One of the things I've been wanting to do was simply be able to launch external apps within sage. I've created a menu item that will launch boxee, but then sage doesn't quite act right after it has been executed. Also, when I import the stvi there are lots of entries that weren't there before such as buttons (repeated numerous times). I know I'm missing something simple, but this kind of stuff is very new to me so I'm going to learn as I go. Here is a screenshot of what I've done. What seems to be missing?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg boxee menu.jpg (106.0 KB, 585 views)
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
The first thing that you really want to be wary of is active imports.... you really should disable these. Use Gregs tools to disable/enable them easily.

EDIT

TIP:
I noticed yours are still active via your screenshot...... at the top it says ***IMPORTS ACTIVE***

Last edited by jaminben; 04-09-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:24 PM
SageTVaholic

That's not a menu item; that's a menu. But you haven't actually defined any content for that menu, so it's no surprise that it does strange things when you load it. With nothing to display, not even a background image, what you're likely to see is just leftover text and graphics from the previous menu that your menu didn't bother to erase.

If your idea is to have a Boxee item on some other menu (say one of the submenus of the Main Menu, for instance), then you should put your Boxee action code there, under that item, instead of trying to create a whole new menu for it. A menu would be appropriate only if you're trying to create a complete new screen in the Sage UI for Boxee-related commands. In that case you'd need to follow the example of existing menus to display background images, organize content into panels or tables, and so on.

If you haven't yet worked through the tutorials in the Studio manual, you should do so, since they're really the best introduction to Studio basics (like the difference between menus and items).

Regarding your STVI issue, it's hard to know what's going wrong there without some idea of what steps you took to generate the STVI and how you're loading it back into the STV. There isn't (yet) a tutorial in the manual for this but there have been several newbie-level posts in the last year or so covering the basics of STVI creation.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:47 AM
SageTVaholic

The reason I'm creating a menu instead of an item (which is way easier) is because of the way ortus lets you add menus. Those tutorials are very helpful, but my brain could only handle through 11 before I couldn't take in any more info.

I modeled my menu after the email menu that does nothing. Everything works fine, but when I use any plugins (specifically ortus) it creates quite a few entries. I created the stvi by choosing export and then saved the file. I even just saved the sagetv7.xml and everything works great until I enable a plugin. I know I'm missing something. Sage works great, but I know that those entries aren't supposed to be there.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Sage Icon

I never use export.... try using Tools > STV UID File Difference. Basically load the default SageTV7.xml and save it as something else so you always keep a good untouched copy of SageTV7.xml, then create your mod. Run the STV UID File Difference against the untouched SageTV7.xml and your new file.... when you run this it will show a list of all the modified lines of code between the original and your modified xml. If that all looks good save it and thats your STVi. You can then load/enable the Ortus Dynamic main menu and import the STVi you just created and link to your "Menu Widget". If you try and edit whilst any Ortus plugins are active and run against the SageTV7.xml you will create duplicate menu items when reloading/enabling the Ortus plugins.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
I never use export.... try using Tools > STV UID File Difference. Basically load the default SageTV7.xml and save it as something else so you always keep a good untouched copy of SageTV7.xml, then create your mod. Run the STV UID File Difference against the untouched SageTV7.xml and your new file.... when you run this it will show a list of all the modified lines of code between the original and your modified xml. If that all looks good save it and thats your STVi. You can then load/enable the Ortus Dynamic main menu and import the STVi you just created and link to your "Menu Widget". If you try and edit whilst any Ortus plugins are active and run against the SageTV7.xml you will create duplicate menu items when reloading/enabling the Ortus plugins.
Ok. Thanks I'll try that. I learned the hard way not to have any plugins open. I have a long way to go, but studio isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I didn't realize it was a programming language. I'll play with it some more and get all the extra menu options I want then I guess it is time to dive into creating my own ui. Wish me luck.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:36 AM
SageTVaholic

When using studio I like to change the UID prefix that will get used so when you add new widgets it's easy to see what you added. This is not a necessary step, but once you start making many changes in the STV it makes it much easier to see what you changed.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:39 PM
SageTVaholic

After using the STV UID tool I've created 2 stvi's that add a menu for boxee and hulu desktop. I've attached the stv uid screen for the boxee menu. It looks fine to me, but when I load ortus all kinds of junk gets loaded into the stv. What am I missing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boxee test.jpg (91.8 KB, 272 views)
Old 04-16-2011, 04:41 PM
SageTVaholic

The UID diff looks OK. Post a screenshot of what it looks like in Studio.

What kinds of "junk" gets loaded? Ortus will load lots of stuff so are you sure it's not just ortus?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Sage Icon

You can send me the STVi and I'll test it out on mine to see. You should just need to import it.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
The UID diff looks OK. Post a screenshot of what it looks like in Studio.

What kinds of "junk" gets loaded? Ortus will load lots of stuff so are you sure it's not just ortus?
I'll post a screenshot so you can see. It is stuff that isn't present when ortus is loaded.

Quote:
You can send me the STVi and I'll test it out on mine to see. You should just need to import it.
I've attached it so you can see what's going on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bad data.jpg (67.6 KB, 276 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt boxee.stvi.txt (5.6 KB, 257 views)
Old 04-17-2011, 03:01 AM
Sage Icon

That STVi imports and gets added to the Ortus dynamic main menu just fine (launches whatever .exe I name in the code). All I did was:

1. Have a good clean copy of the Ortus plugin installed in the default STV.
2. Used Studio to import your STVi (File, Import menu).
3. Restarted the client so that the new menu could be seen in the Ortus plugin.
4. Added a new main menu and selected Boxee as the action.

I think somewhere your copy of the default stv / Ortus plugin has got messed up and thats where your finding your problems.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That STVi imports and gets added to the Ortus dynamic main menu just fine (launches whatever .exe I name in the code). All I did was:

1. Have a good clean copy of the Ortus plugin installed in the default STV.
2. Used Studio to import your STVi (File, Import menu).
3. Restarted the client so that the new menu could be seen in the Ortus plugin.
4. Added a new main menu and selected Boxee as the action.

I think somewhere your copy of the default stv / Ortus plugin has got messed up and thats where your finding your problems.
Thanks. I will start from scratch.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:04 AM
SageTVaholic

That was it. A clean install fixed the problem. I imported the new ones into my main client and they did not cause any issues. I guess I can start on my other project now. Let the work begin. Thanks guys.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Ok. I've gotten good at creating my own menu's to launch external apps, but I need a way to make sage sleep when I do that. I can't find an API call that makes that happen. I was trying to be clever and use eventghost, but it doesn't recognize that sage is even open.

Thoughts?
Old 05-01-2011, 11:20 AM
SageTVaholic

try
Code:
SageCommand("Power Off")

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 05-01-2011, 06:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
try
Code:
SageCommand("Power Off")
Now I feel dumb...I've tried looking (not too hard), but is the list of sage commands in the api calls list?
Old 05-01-2011, 06:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Now I feel dumb...I've tried looking (not too hard), but is the list of sage commands in the api calls list?
Chapter 5 of the User Manual.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
Chapter 5 of the User Manual.
Thanks, I was over-thinking.

EDIT: BTW, who put the arcade test and mame launcher stuff in studio?

Last edited by panteragstk; 05-02-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:11 AM
SageTVaholic

OK. So I'm ready to start making a replacement UI for music. I have been advised to try modifying the stock ui to make it into what I want. I looked into doing that, but the way it is set up in studio will make it very difficult to accomplish what I want to do. The reason is there is quite a bit of flexibility in the current ui, but I'm wanting something a bit different.

For example: You can now sort by song, album, artist or whatever. I'd like to just organize by artist only and then drill down to albums within an artist and songs within that album. I can see the value of drilling down from artist then to a big list of songs, but the fact remains that I want artist to be the primary focal point.

Would modifying the stock ui accomplish this easier than starting from scratch?

How would you guys do it?