SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Sage User

Hi,

i am currently a Windows 7 MCE user. I've been quite happy with it. I have dabbled with Sage off an on through versions 4-6. For the most part, the GUI just turned me off way too much. I am seeing now that the Diamond interface looks pretty good and Phoenix looks promising. More importantly, the Extender ecosystem seems amazing. I would love to finally move the HTPC into the basement. So, I have to sell my wife on leaving Windows Media Center. She loves it. She's willing to give Sage a go but there is one MAJOR roadblock. She needs to be able to browse the internet. Specifically, there is a Yoga site she subscribes to where she logs in and then streams a Yoga workout/video. If I can't make this happen with the Sage extender then Sage is a no go and we just keep the HTPC in the TV room with Windows Media Center on it. So...(i'm really hoping there is a GOOD/EASY/USER FRIENDLY way to make this happen for her (uh...me...lol). So is there a way to browser the internet and stream video (presumably flash) from a website using the HD 300 Media Extender? TIA!

I want to move to SageTV and purchase an HD 300 to use in extender mode. Is there any way using the HD300 that I can have a web browser and navigate to certain sites to play Flash video content?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Not that I'm aware of.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Sage Icon

We do web surfing on the TV independent of Sage, as follows:

PC in garage, 24/7. Runs Sage and other stuff. Not used for email or generic web surfing. Extenders in LR/BR for Sage.

PC's VGA (640x480) -> VGA to NTSC analog converter (cheap) -> extra coax to TV in LR -> Aux In. Audio too.

IR remote receiver in LR connects to PC's serial port. Remote at TV can do some keys found on PC's keyboard: up/down arrow, ENTER, backspace, etc. (The IR to PC connection used to be a long serial cable; now I have it go on the Ethernet (serial to IP box)), but that's irrelevant to the big picture).

To view web sites, switch TV to Aux in, use remote to navigate a menu (in HTML) of web sites we frequent. Menu is handled by a javascript function in my hand-crafted HTML file on my PC. Used heavily for webcams 'round the world, local/live weather, Airport schedule status, etc.

Last edited by stevech; 04-10-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_puty View Post
Specifically, there is a Yoga site she subscribes to where she logs in and then streams a Yoga workout/video. If I can't make this happen with the Sage extender then Sage is a no go and we just keep the HTPC in the TV room with Windows Media Center on it. So...(i'm really hoping there is a GOOD/EASY/USER FRIENDLY way to make this happen for her (uh...me...lol). So is there a way to browser the internet and stream video (presumably flash) from a website using the HD 300 Media Extender? TIA!
If the video is in podcast form you can create a custom entry for it and then it will be available in the Online Services menu.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.