SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Help with wiz.bin after upgrade to Windows 7

I recently upgraded my HTPC from XP Media Center Edition to Windows 7 professional (64 bit). I backed up my SageTV directory (including properties files and wiz.bin) prior to upgrading. After installing the latest version of SageTV 7 on the new Windows install, I transferred over the properties and wiz.bin file. The properties file seems to have transferred okay, but I don't have my Favorites. My understanding is it should work provided I named the computer the same (which I'm not 100% positive I did, since I forgot to check it before I upgraded). So my questions are...

1) Is there something I'm forgetting?

2) Is there a way to confirm, from any of the files in my previous install, the name of the computer on my previous install - so I can ensure they match.

3) Anything else I can do to recover the wiz.bin info to the new install?
Old 05-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Nevermind! I just found the problem. SageTV installed in the "Program Files (x86)" folder. That's where I placed the wiz.bin file. After realizing that that wiz.bin was not updating or being changed, I looked elsewhere. I didn't realize that the wiz.bin was put in the "Program Files" directory, not the (x86) directory. It works now.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:40 PM
SageTVaholic

You really shouldn't copy a properties file from one installation to another. Among other things, the file contains absolute paths to file locations that may be different on another installation. It also contains information about your installed plugins, so your new installation will now think you have those plugins installed when you actually don't, and will get very confused when you try to install, uninstall, or upgrade plugins.

Bottom line is if you're starting over with a clean installation of Sage, start with a clean properties file as well. Keep your old Wiz.bin, but everything else should be reconfigured through the UI, not by copying properties files.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
You really shouldn't copy a properties file from one installation to another. Among other things, the file contains absolute paths to file locations that may be different on another installation. It also contains information about your installed plugins, so your new installation will now think you have those plugins installed when you actually don't, and will get very confused when you try to install, uninstall, or upgrade plugins.

Bottom line is if you're starting over with a clean installation of Sage, start with a clean properties file as well. Keep your old Wiz.bin, but everything else should be reconfigured through the UI, not by copying properties files.
In fact, that copying of the sage.properties file is what caused your wiz.bin to be in teh wrong place. That path is specified in the sage.properties file
Code:
wizard/db_backup_file=C\:\\Program Files\\SageTV\\SageTV\\Wiz.bak
wizard/db_file=C\:\\Program Files\\SageTV\\SageTV\\Wiz.bin
The first time you launched sage, it looked there, didn't see it, so it created a blank database at that location.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 05-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Great! Thanks guys. I think I'll do a fresh install of SageTV again (deleting the SageTV folder) and just copy over the wiz.bin this time.