SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 05-22-2011, 08:04 AM
Sage Icon

Fastest Way to Apply Windows 7 Updates?

Here's the scenario: clean install of Windows 7 SP1 from DVD (well, technically USB drive), then perform the process of applying all of the Windows updates. This usually involves going to the Windows Update screen, clicking on "Check for updates", applying the list of updates, rebooting, going back to Windows Update, clicking on "Check for updates", applying the list of updates, rebooting, etc. etc. It seems like I have to go through this process 4-5 times before I finally get the message that all Windows updates have been applied. Anyone know a shortcut so that I can apply all of the Windows updates with fewer iterations? Preferably one.

Or does it require multiple iterations due to dependencies?
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 05-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

You might try this. I have used it and it works:

http://www.wsusoffline.net/
Old 05-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joematt View Post
You might try this. I have used it and it works:

http://www.wsusoffline.net/
This looks interesting, although my ideal solution would:

A) Download updates directly from Microsoft's servers, instead of relying on a point-in-time snapshot.

2) Be already contained within Microsoft Windows, along the lines of a batch command with command-line parameters.

Any Windows gurus aware of any other choices?
Old 05-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

This does use Microsoft servers to get the updates.

A batch script is generated to apply the updates. It even handles reboots.

This is really useful if you have multiple machines to update .
Old 05-22-2011, 11:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Honestly, I just let it go on it's own. I initiate the first set manually, and just let it deal with the others. it'll download them, and eventually ask you to do a reboot. next day, it might do the same.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 05-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Sage Icon

If you are going to reinstall often enough, you might as well create a custom image with something like:

http://www.rt7lite.com/

For XP, I have been using the original inspiration (nLite) for years, and people have been packaging the hot fixes/updates and various free apps. So by the time the installation is done, you are up to date and might even have many of your apps ready to use...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 05-23-2011, 05:12 AM
Sage Icon

I normally install the operating system and patches using multiple reboots until there are no more patches needed. I'm not sure why you need to install the OS from a USB rather than a DVD. I take an image before and after the patching. Images are also taken periodically during the build process, and periodically after the build is completed. That way you never have to start from scratch on that computer again.

Are you talking about rebuilding one computer or a way to automate building many computers? An image can be applied to multiple computers, however the duplicate computers need to then be 'decloned'.

If you are re-installing from scratch to fix problems, then you should use imaging instead, it's much quicker and easier. You simply recover back to a point in time when everything worked normally. After you recover with an image, you'll have to do some patching to bring the patching up to the current level, then take another image. I use Acronis and Clonezilla for Windows 7.

Dave
Old 05-23-2011, 06:15 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
If you are re-installing from scratch to fix problems, then you should use imaging instead, it's much quicker and easier. You simply recover back to a point in time when everything worked normally. After you recover with an image, you'll have to do some patching to bring the patching up to the current level, then take another image. I use Acronis and Clonezilla for Windows 7.
I have been using Acronis for the past 10+ years, and I absolutely love it. However, an imaging solution isn't going to work very well when you are dealing with trial versions of both Windows 7 and SageTV (on my test box), the trial expiration date for Windows will only get reset on a clean install. I know there are ways to extend the trial period for a few months, but rather than having to track when I need to apply the registry fix to get the extension, it's just easier to do a clean install.

Someday soon, I'll have licensed versions of Windows and Sage for my test server, but until then, clean installs will have to do.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you need to install the OS from a USB rather than a DVD.
You're kidding, right? Once I learned how to install Windows from a USB drive, I've never looked back. It's much faster, and the best part is you don't need a DVD drive on the computer (neither my production or test Sage server has a DVD drive on it). In addition, with a small one-time change to a file on the USB drive, you can use the drive to install either the retail or the OEM Windows install. For computers that I have purchased with an OEM version of Windows, I do a fresh install of Windows using the OEM license key, which eliminates all of the bloatware/crapware that the manufacturers put on the machines.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Sage Icon

Why can't you take an image of the system before the trial software installation and use that for a repeatable recovery point? You can then install the trial software over and over for additional testing. When you recover with the image, all references to the trial software are gone. Recovering from an image is far faster than recovering with an automated Windows install. However, the recovery will only get to the patch level of the image.

If you're in a business situation where you need to replicate 100 servers, its easier to install the OS with a DVD, then take a base image. Then build the rest of the servers with the image. Each server built with the image then needs to be decloned. If you have an enterprise of servers to maintain, then a tool like Shavlik is used to patch the entire enterprise.

In the home situation, I only have a few computers to maintain and one test computer. I only install the operating system one time on each computer, then take the first base image. Periodic images are taken after the first base image. I never have to do a scratch OS install again for the life of the computer.

Dave
Old 05-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Why can't you take an image of the system before the trial software installation and use that for a repeatable recovery point?
Because his OS is one of those trials...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 05-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
Because his OS is one of those trials...
Oh! I understand now. I was assuming that the OS was licensed.

Dave