SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Any way to get HD300 to restart after server restart?

I have a server running WIN7. It is dedicated for this purpose with 1.5TB storage, twin two-tuner cards, etc, and plasma TV connected to graphics card. I have two HD300s connected via LAN. Unfortunately the server is not very stable, and I get resets or have to shut it down a few times per week. Any time this happens, the HD300s are essentially frozen; I have to power cycle them to get them to reconnect to the server, after which all is well. Is there any way that the HD300 could recognize that it lost the server, then get it back again and just reconnect?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Sage Icon

Maybe use this in the Windows startup? http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35464
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 05-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Sage Icon

don't the extenders use DHCP so the IP address changes now and then? So the command line script would have the wrong IP.

Workaround of course is to set your router for a DHCP reservation for each extender, based on MAC address, so the IP is unchanging.

Also: I thought the extenders would detect a downed server - but it might need like 120 seconds of down time or some such
Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Sage Icon

You can do it with the Autoreboot option of SageTCPServer plugin... Just ignore the rest of the settings.
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 05-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

The issue is usually not that the server has reset, but that it freezes. Sometimes I find the SAGE service has stopped, but the server is running, and there is a Windows message that an update is pending, etc,. And it is not a matter of the extender not having enough time; when I go to an extender that is disconnected it has usually been such for a few hours.

I tried using WMC for the server TV, SAGE service for the extender, but the broadcast recordings are in the wrong file format for WMC, so not feasible.

M
Old 05-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Sage Icon

If you have java automatically updating while the SageTV service is running, it has been known to create issues...
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 06-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Sage User

I have a similar setup to the OP. Win 7 server, and I have a combinarion of HD300 extenders and clients.

When I reboot my server (which happens every night at 4am for Colossus card stability reasons), the clients reconnect when the server comes back up.

The HD300s power themselves off. I'm using the latest beta firmware, I have the HD300 set to static IP, along with the server, and I have the HD300 set to autoconnect to the server.

Right now the first time the HD300 gets used in the day, it needs to be powered on first. Not a big deal obviously, but I'd love if there was a way to have it stay powered on, and reconnect when the server comes back online.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Sage Icon

I too don't want the HD300 to "power off". Causes --WAF for more button pushes on the remotes. grr.
I'll look again for a config option for always-on.

Does the HD300 actually use significantly less AC power when "off" (standby, with LED in red rather than blue) ?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

I don't like this "feature" either. It can be used w/o a server and It's running Linux for Pete's sake, use the technology and some common sense.

If the server goes away the HD300 should:

1. Prompt the user, server has gone away, would you like to switch to standalone mode?
2. Provide a configuration option. If server goes away a) Automatically switch to stand along mode, b) Do nothing, c) power off.

Pretty basic stuff really, but just shut down? um, no.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbrodie View Post
I'd love if there was a way to have it stay powered on, and reconnect when the server comes back online.
+1

EDIT: I'd love if the HD300 could stay powered on, and reconnect when the server comes back online, without requiring server-side plug-ins.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls

Last edited by KeithAbbott; 06-13-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-13-2011, 01:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'd love if there was a way to have it stay powered on, and reconnect when the server comes back online.
See post #4 in this thread.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Sage Icon

How can one configure the HD300 to NOT power itself off?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
You can do it with the Autoreboot option of SageTCPServer plugin... Just ignore the rest of the settings.
Maybe you can explain in a bit more detail how this plugin and this setting will prevent media extenders like the HD300 from rebooting when the server reboots?

I installed the plugin, saw that the autoreboot option was set to true in the sage.properties file and restarted the server service. I then powered off and on the extender, and then tried rebooting the server. The instant the server started shutting down the HD300 powered down.

So either this plugin doesn't cause the desired behavior here, or I've missed a step in enabling the functionality. From a conceptual point of view, I don't understand how this server plugin can cause the media extender to stay connected throughout a server reboot...
Old 06-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

If the option is set in SageTCP server the HD300s reboot, but will then stay on. I had this turned on and turned it off because it keeps my server awake, which I don't want to do. Things come up pretty quickly from Sleep state.

Wayne
i5-6400, MSI B150M Micro ATX MB, 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 - WD Green 2TB SATA Drives, Lite-On SATA 4X Blu-ray Reader, Corsair 400W 80+ Power Supply, Silverstone Sugo SG02-BF MicroATX Case, Windows 10 (64), HDHR Dual X2, Quatro and Prime, 5 x HD300 + 2 x HD100
Old 06-13-2011, 10:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Nothing can cause the extender to stay connected while the server goes offline. The best you can do is reconnect automatically once the server is back up, and that's what the plugin does.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Maybe you can explain in a bit more detail how this plugin and this setting will prevent media extenders like the HD300 from rebooting when the server reboots?
That's not what the OP was asking for... He wanted to automatically reboot/reconnect the extender after the server had rebooted, thus the "auto-reboot" feature...

Quote:
I don't understand how this server plugin can cause the media extender to stay connected throughout a server reboot...
Of course it can't, it's like rebooting a router and expecting to still be browsing the web and such as it happens...
Old 06-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Sage User

Well I'm glad that is cleared up...
Old 06-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
That's not what the OP was asking for... He wanted to automatically reboot/reconnect the extender after the server had rebooted, thus the "auto-reboot" feature...

Of course it can't, it's like rebooting a router and expecting to still be browsing the web and such as it happens...
The common complaint here, and mine, too, is not that the HD300 loses its session connection, but rather, that it powers off and must be manually powered on and one must wait for the rather long boot-up.

The Sage PC client detects a disrupted session with the server (due to LAN problems or the Sage server stop/start). The PC client then gracefully displays that it will (automatically) reconnect when the server begins responding again. The HD300 should do the same.

Tags
hd300, reconnect, restart