SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Sage User

From what I gather from all of this is that... Google doesnt have a good working dvr system in there hands so they are going to rip sage tv apart just for the tv side of things. google tv right now is a tv module built into sony tvs and the only settop box so far is the Logitech Revue... so what they have now is the same as Apple and Yahoo... To expand on what they have now why not add TV functions to android and allow usb tv cards to be used with there devices.... hmmmm now they are better then apple and yahoo

The Current state of SageTV will not work with GoogleTV due to it being Windows or Linux based..... So in my opinion the windows side will be thrown out and the linux side will be re-writen to work on the arm cpu's... GoogleTV is android and works with arm CPU's (not x86 cpus) so to think SageTV is going to survive is the wrong way of thinking...

If you dont know what google tv is the go here

Another note is all 3rd party apps that work with sagetv will not be used because in a couple months android market is getting added to googletv
so everything will have to be rewritten as a android app.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage1701 View Post
Make sure to consider the Power Correction Factor - things that are inductive let more electricity "slide" through them vs. a pure resistance item such as a toaster. This makes you use more electricity than you think. It's also why BBU's quote in VA primarily, since a PCF other than 1.0 shortens how long they can supply backup current.
Except that residential users aren't (usually) charged for reactive power, just actual power, in other words you aren't billed more if you have a low power factor than a high one.

http://www.alliantenergy.com/Utility...Quality/015093

Note that that FAQ is for business customers, residential customers would have to work VERY hard to get their power factor low enough.

So yeah, for stuff like UPS runtime calculations you want to make sure to look at apparent power (VA), but for cost you just want to look at actual power (W).
Old 08-03-2011, 06:56 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Except that residential users aren't (usually) charged for reactive power, just actual power, in other words you aren't billed more if you have a low power factor than a high one.

http://www.alliantenergy.com/Utility...Quality/015093

Note that that FAQ is for business customers, residential customers would have to work VERY hard to get their power factor low enough.

So yeah, for stuff like UPS runtime calculations you want to make sure to look at apparent power (VA), but for cost you just want to look at actual power (W).
I agree; just tossing it in their in case one puts a UPS on their Sage server.

The bottom line on anyone's electrical bill is, well, the bottom line... :-)
Asus P5Q Premium MB, E6750, 4GB RAM, 32-bit XP Pro SP3, 3Ware 9590SE controller, 80GB 7.2K Laptop boot drive w/SuperSpeed Cache Utility & eBoostr, (1) KWorld ATSC-110, (1) 950Q USB, (1) 2250 tuner, (1) HD-PVR using USB-UIRT, (1) 1600 Dual card, (1) DVICO Fusion 5 Gold, (1) Hauppauge 1250, (1) Hauppauge 2250, 8 various storage HD's, NEC-based x1 USB add-on card, 2 outdoor antennas capturing 2 different OTA markets, Dish Network w/HD Receiver for HD-PVR.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyd77 View Post
From what I gather from all of this is that... Google doesnt have a good working dvr system in there hands so they are going to rip sage tv apart just for the tv side of things. google tv right now is a tv module built into sony tvs and the only settop box so far is the Logitech Revue... so what they have now is the same as Apple and Yahoo... To expand on what they have now why not add TV functions to android and allow usb tv cards to be used with there devices.... hmmmm now they are better then apple and yahoo
Unless they add a tv tuner into the nextgen googletv box, how many people are really going to buy the box because it has the option of plugging in a USB tuner? Also a single tuner DVR also isn't too appealing. Also if they genuinely are adding DVR functions, it would seem like it need to have the option for a cable card. My guess is they ultimately want android/google to be the interface for all TV's but until we have more info, not sure what exactly they will do with IP from sage.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Sage User

Google TV has also bought Motorola’s set-top box division.... Comcast and almost every major cable company uses Motorola's so there is your cable card built into GoogleTV OS :-)
Old 08-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thumbs up Google Is Buying Motorola Mobility

Motorola Mobility is currently under fire from Microsoft for copyright infringement. The sale is pending and may be delayed if Microsoft seeks a "stay" which, in this case, would probably be granted pending the outcome of the court case. Motorola Mobility also tried to sell themselves to Microsoft. Since Microsoft is already suing Motorola for billions and only wanted to purchase the patents, they declined.

Motorola Mobility is, indeed, the company that distributes the STB's.

Cool.

Last edited by doncote0; 08-16-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Motorola Mobility has the STB's not Motorola Solutions
Old 08-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Google TV has also bought Motorola’s set-top box division.... Comcast and almost every major cable company uses Motorola's so there is your cable card built into GoogleTV OS :-)
Or in the case of IPTV like U-verse, there's your no-additional-hardware-needed-just-read-your-cable-company-the-unique-ID-off-the-back solution.

NOW we have a little bigger picture, I think. Sage's DVR and intelligent recording subsystems put most all cable companies' interfaces to shame.

A lot of the Moto boxes run WinCE atop an ARM processor (at least in the case of U-verse I know this to be true).

Why am I thinking that Google is going to try out the "Vonage of Cable Companies" business model? "Call now, and we'll ship you out your 'adapter'. Simply plug it in to your TV and any internet connection..."

Thoughts? Am I off my rocker?
Old 08-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncote0 View Post
Motorola Mobility is currently under fire from Microsoft for copyright infringement. The sale is pending and may be delayed if Microsoft seeks a "stay" which, in this case, would probably be granted pending the outcome of the court case.

Motorola Solutions is the company that distributes the STB's, but they were not up for sale. It is a nice idea though.
Weird - their STB's for U-verse run Microsoft MediaRoom client. I'll have to do some googling around.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncote0 View Post
Motorola Solutions is the company that distributes the STB's, but they were not up for sale. It is a nice idea though.
Actually, that's not correct. The STB's went with MMI... and will go to Google when the deal is done.

Check out this Motley Fool article...

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...torylines.aspx
Old 08-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Got It

Quote:
that's not correct. The STB's went with MMI... and will go to Google when the deal is done.
I fixed that before you posted. I also explained the reason after you posted.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Sage User

I dont think that they are buying it for iptv... You would see google in the news for the contracts they would have to sign with HBO, Starz, Food net, Etc... I think its more for the dvr/placeshifter setup... Think of it as having a set top box that you can placeshift on your android phone or android tablet anywhere in the world... That makes more sense to me...

Money for the STB and Money from the App Store to purchase the placeshifter

Correction You might be right http://www.bgr.com/2010/10/04/google...nbc-hbo-tuner/

Last edited by skippyd77; 08-16-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Please...that was from Oct. of last year. And we know most, if not all of those partnerships went away when Google TV was released. But I think this time around it's a new ballgame.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I dont think that they are buying it for iptv... You would see google in the news for the contracts they would have to sign with HBO, Starz, Food net, Etc... I think its more for the dvr/placeshifter setup... Think of it as having a set top box that you can placeshift on your android phone or android tablet anywhere in the world... That makes more sense to me...

Money for the STB and Money from the App Store to purchase the placeshifter

Correction You might be right http://www.bgr.com/2010/10/04/google...nbc-hbo-tuner/

Aha. But look at Google's fiber project. The two Kansas City's. It all becomes a little more tangible if you eventually become the nation's gigabit internet provider, and then... hmmm....