SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-06-2011, 04:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhm783 View Post
I, too, am glad. Two weeks before SageTV shut down, I bought the V7 server software and three HD300s. I built a system just for this purpose with 4 tuners and 2TBs of storage. It is the best HTPC system I have ever seen. If Google does not come out with a similar product by the time the program guide quits working, I will have to go back to Beyond TV, at least for the recording part. I will continue to use the HD300s to play BTV programs, at least while they continue to work. That will give me enough time, I hope, to find a practical solution. (One I thought I had already found!)
No, you will not. Sage has only ever provided EPG data for the US and Canadian markets. Others throughout the world have been using sage fine for MANY years with alternate guide data sources through XMLTV. There are free ways to utilize the data provided to media center as well (MC2XML). It'll take you about 20-30 minutes to get it set up once, and then you'll be the same place you are today.. no need to switch to another, inferior, software, just for guide data.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 PM

That XML guide data solution sounds good! I will try to find threads on how to set that up. I used to use BTV with WDTV Live boxes (still have them), but the HD300 extender is a really elegant solution (very intuitive with the Sage server). Now, though, I wish I had bought ten of those. Could have made a tidy profit on EBay! I am hooked on SageTV, and plan to use it for a long time.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestig View Post
Hopefully it won't come to that. I see some sites selling OEM licenses. Is that legal? How can they sell them alone, without any hardware?

Check my post here. This might be an viable solution:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...t=56225&page=7
I doubt those are legal keys/licenses. I didn't think anyone but SageTV sold licenses in recent versions.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Sage User

I hope google for the love of god, gives us CL license, as I have 2 machines built each with and encoder for this, sitting here and I can't use them because of this.
I have a server with 8TB of storage and 5 encoders built to get all the damn shows I like. It works great with v7 except for asking me to delete 2 times, other than that I love it, so I hope they get their act together and at least if they are gonna kill it, update the exes to not use licenses so we can support ourselves.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tierpath View Post
...update the exes to not use licenses so we can support ourselves.
Odds are, if they don't - the internets will...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I hope google for the love of god, gives us CL license, as I have 2 machines built each with and encoder for this, sitting here and I can't use them because of this.
I have a server with 8TB of storage and 5 encoders built to get all the damn shows I like. It works great with v7 except for asking me to delete 2 times, other than that I love it, so I hope they get their act together and at least if they are gonna kill it, update the exes to not use licenses so we can support ourselves.
unless you write, fax, it may well be that Google doesn't understand the extent of demand.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:51 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
You could take images of both client computers, then install the trial. That would work for 21 days. If Google doesn't sell the licenses after 21 days, you could recover them back and install the trial again. You'd have to keep doing that every 21 days. Maybe Google will eventually sell the licenses, or you would be trying the client forever, but at least the two computers would not be sitting there collecting dust.

Dave
Old 12-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sorry I'm late to the party but...

I have a friend with a server license and a client license and he no longer uses SageTV. Can I not use his client license in a front end build?

I understand the legal restrictions via the EULA and all that but the real question is are there software or technological road blocks to keeping transferred licenses from working?

I don't want to violate any EULAs but I would also happily pay Soogle for more extenders and licenses but am unable to. I think I can sleep at night if I break the EULA by using a transferred license if they won't sell me any. I just don't know if its possible.

Thoughts?
Extenders: Nvidia Shield x2 / 3 placeshifters
Server Software: Win 10 64, SageTV 9.1.5.683, Java 8_241, Real VNC
Other: MiniClient, Commercial Detector UI, Sage Recording Extender
Old 12-15-2011, 03:22 PM
SageTVaholic

There is no phone-home requirements in sage (save for the Linux server). There is no limitation preventing a server license from being used on more than one machine. There is no tie between the client licenses and the server license. (any client license will run on any server license). The only checks are that the key is valid (passes it's hash checks), and that a client license is only used once on a given server.

If your friend moved into your house, and brought his licenses with him, he could use those two licenses for 2 more front end's (client license connected to your server, server license run in client mode connected to your server). The only thing preventing YOU from doing it is the EULA.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

It's so frustrating, all we really want is a legal way to continue using and growing with software we love and paid for......
Old 12-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

thanks Fuzzy.

and I like your approach right now..SageTV works, relax and enjoy it.

I'm just concerned about what happens in June when, potentially, the forum is gone; the downloads are gone; etc.

I'm pretty comfortable with PC hardware but not so much with software and without this forum, I would be helpless with SageTV if something went wrong or I needed to reinstall.

It sounds like getting the guide data from another source is possible but without SageTV customer service AND without this forum and downloads, I would quickly be looking for an alternative.

Having experienced this now since late June (and wanting to expand/extend my SageTV use), I hate the idea of being bound to a company like this - especially a company that is unable or unwilling help me enjoy their creation.

I'm not bitter (yet); just frustrated and disappointed.

A month or so back, my 4 yr old surprised me when I saw him grab the full sized mouse; start up the PS manager on the desktop; connect; navigate to videos; and proceed to find his favorite ripped Toy Story movie. I was blown away.

I was even more impressed a week or two later when I saw him walk back in the room, climb up in the desk chair, reach for the mouse and click the screen once to make the bar appear and then click the play button to resume from where HE PAUSED IT EARLIER. I'm not bragging about him (he has older siblings that have shown him); just pointing out how much SageTV is a part of our TV, video, music, photo-sharing lives!

This morning, I showed him how to use the remote to do the same on the TV with the HD300 remote & extender. More than any other software in the house (2 Win7 PCs; 1 untangle router/FW; 1 Ubuntu file server; windows laptop and MB pro), SageTV has become an every day part of the family. And now w/out Jeff helping us out with more licenses or a new .exe or whatever, I may have to switch again (started with Beyond TV in 2005).

WMC7 is an option (I have an unused Win7 home premium license but no XB360s) or may have to go Myth (at least w/ open source, no one can take the money and run) and myth seems to have a pretty active community like this one.

Ok, I'm just venting now. Thanx for the therapy!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Why would they bother moving the forums to a new location if they were going to close them down?
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilded07 View Post
I don't want to violate any EULAs but I would also happily pay Soogle for more extenders and licenses but am unable to. I think I can sleep at night if I break the EULA by using a transferred license if they won't sell me any.
Thoughts?
I pay for what I use and pirate nothing, but I am with you here. I would prefer to purchse extenders and/or licenses, but since that is not an option, I'd have no ethical heart burn using a transferred license because they don't want my money anyway.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Why would they bother moving the forums to a new location if they were going to close them down?
My assumption is that this forum will, at some point in the near future, be shut down, not moved.

It would be great if the new GTV STB allowed existing SageTV users to download a SageTV app that allowed the GTV STB to connect to existing SageTV servers and then Google moved this forum over to their environment and renamed it GoogleTV DVR or something like that as a nice and inexpensive goodwill gesture to those who supported the technology since 2002 that is now a part of the new GoogleTV. I might buy 3 or 4 GTV STBs if they doubled as SageTV front ends! That strategy would also allow Google to get a few more GTVs into the living rooms of tech savy DVR DIYers and generate some buzz on that front as well.

But with more content delivery moving to the cloud that seems unlikely.

Fun to dream though!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
My assumption is that this forum will, at some point in the near future, be shut down, not moved.

It would be great if the new GTV STB allowed existing SageTV users to download a SageTV app that allowed the GTV STB to connect to existing SageTV servers and then Google moved this forum over to their environment and renamed it GoogleTV DVR or something like that as a nice and inexpensive goodwill gesture to those who supported the technology since 2002 that is now a part of the new GoogleTV. I might buy 3 or 4 GTV STBs if they doubled as SageTV front ends! That strategy would also allow Google to get a few more GTVs into the living rooms of tech savy DVR DIYers and generate some buzz on that front as well.

But with more content delivery moving to the cloud that seems unlikely.

Fun to dream though!
His point was that they just did move the forum (a couple months ago, I think). They likely would not have bothered if it was intended to shut it down.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
His point was that they just did move the forum (a couple months ago, I think). They likely would not have bothered if it was intended to shut it down.
Ahh, I didn't know the forum had moved. I don't remember ever typing in the actual address (new or old)...just clicked on a link or bookmark or something.

But isn't the forum the only place to get the support form for HD300 warranty claims? I don't see any active link to the support form on the main Sagetv.com page.

If so, then Google would only need to keep it open long enough to satisfy warranty claims, right?

I like your line of thinking better though!! I'm happy to be wrong on this one.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Ahh, I didn't know the forum had moved. I don't remember ever typing in the actual address (new or old)...just clicked on a link or bookmark or something.

But isn't the forum the only place to get the support form for HD300 warranty claims? I don't see any active link to the support form on the main Sagetv.com page.

If so, then Google would only need to keep it open long enough to satisfy warranty claims, right?

I like your line of thinking better though!! I'm happy to be wrong on this one.
Yeah, sorry for not being clear. The forum was moved to a new server at the end of last month. That coupled with what Jeff says on G+ I think we may see something come of this acquisition. What and when remains to be seen. I'm still holding out for sage being open sourced. That would be more than awesome.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Yeah, sorry for not being clear. The forum was moved to a new server at the end of last month. That coupled with what Jeff says on G+ I think we may see something come of this acquisition. What and when remains to be seen. I'm still holding out for sage being open sourced. That would be more than awesome.
What did Jeff say on G+?
Old 12-17-2011, 09:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
What did Jeff say on G+?
Well, it's really that when we start a "what's up with sagetv?" speculation conversation he will sometimes pop in and say that he wishes he could tell us what he's up to, but can't for obvious reasons. I really doubt he'd do that just to string us along for no reason. It seems that he really is confident that something we will like is coming. Again though, this is my interpretation (I'm usually not an optimist) and we won't know what or when any time soon.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
What did Jeff say on G+?
As far as I know Jeff hasn't really said anythign on G+