SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

The assumption all along was that Google bought SageTV for the PVR. Maybe it was always all about CATS! http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smar...ecognize-cats/

Martin
Old 06-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

If there was a "Like" button, I would click it.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonen View Post
If there was a "Like" button, I would click it.
No like, but there is a +1 :-)
Old 10-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
Full Speed Ahead?

Will someone please pull the "Full speed ahead" message from sagetv.com home page. I think it's safe to say that google killed sagetv.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarber69 View Post
I think it's safe to say that google killed sagetv
Seeing as SageTV became part Google Fiber, I think "full speed ahead" is still quite appropriate.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbone View Post
Seeing as SageTV became part Google Fiber, I think "full speed ahead" is still quite appropriate.
But not with our existing hardware/software that's for certian.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Locking an open, customizable, and movable system into proprietary hardware and a single specific provider, in a single market, reducing usability, while at the same time stopping production of the previous open system, and not even selling further software licenses, is certainly NOT full speed ahead - if anything, it's at most 'Back 2/3', if not Back full.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Locking an open, customizable, and movable system into proprietary hardware and a single specific provider, in a single market, reducing usability, while at the same time stopping production of the previous open system, and not even selling further software licenses, is certainly NOT full speed ahead - if anything, it's at most 'Back 2/3', if not Back full.
I suppose I should have clarified my statement. It's "full speed ahead" for Jeff, his team and the next chapter of their creation -- not us. That "full speed ahead" was ever meant to include "us".

I don't think any of us actually expected anything different than the current result. We may have hoped, much like some hope to win the lottery. But we all knew the probable outcome, even if some of us were unable to admit it.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

How long did that take you??? And try saying that three times in a row whle eating popcorn.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I suppose I should have clarified my statement. It's "full speed ahead" for Jeff, his team and the next chapter of their creation -- not us. That "full speed ahead" was ever meant to include "us".

I don't think any of us actually expected anything different than the current result. We may have hoped, much like some hope to win the lottery. But we all knew the probable outcome, even if some of us were unable to admit it.
The part that was unexpected, and especially disappointing, was the stop to hd300 production, and shuttering off the store. The software licenses themselves could have continued sales, with no true liability to google, as they never had any real support guarantee. It only makes sense to drop it completely if it competed with the upcoming product, which is obvious now it does not.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:56 PM
SageTVaholic

R&D on the hd300 is done, at most, they should have made a minor revision change (hardware version 1.1) to fix the issues in the startup system (the hand soldered addon capacitor), and it has all the changeability to continue functioning as a SageTV extender, and would have worked perfectly well as a Google fiber extender as well.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
The part that was unexpected, and especially disappointing, was the stop to hd300 production, and shuttering off the store. The software licenses themselves could have continued sales, with no true liability to google, as they never had any real support guarantee. It only makes sense to drop it completely if it competed with the upcoming product, which is obvious now it does not.

I absolutely agree... although then it wouldn't have been "full speed ahead", it would have been "direct 0.2% resource to legacy thrusters".
Old 10-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I absolutely agree... although then it wouldn't have been "full speed ahead", it would have been "direct 0.2% resource to legacy thrusters".
Now, can we come up with something involving photon torpedos, or phasers?

At any rate, they probably killed the HD300 due to the SageTV staff's time involved in dealing with the OEM supplier, shipping, etc.

What would be really nice is if the GoogleFiber extenders spoke the same protocol & worked with SageTV, and were purchasable from the Play store..

Drew
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)
Old 10-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
I just wish there was some other dvr software out there that could utilize the sagetv extenders even if its completely unsupported. My biggest letdown in all of this was watching sagetv grow into what it is and knowing that it would continue to get better.

When I first found Sagetv it was buggy but promising. At the time BeyondTV was kicking ass, so I went in that direction. I was young so of course I was pirating BeyonTV every which way I could. Then when Sage started to show some promise, I started doing some testing with their software. And when it became apparent that I could run sage consistently without crashing or locking up, I started pirating Sagetv. Then when I turned 21 and I finally got my own credit card I went in full and started buying licenses and even built my first dedicated sagetv server.

Now almost 10 years later and 3 upgrade licenses under my belt I finally have a fine understanding of Sagetv and its dead in the water. I feel like most of you do here. I watched Sage grow and flourish and I contributed as much as I could whenever I could to help make it better. I miss checking this forum every 2 hours to see if some new awesome upgrade or fix was being released.

I still use SageMC. personally I dont like any of the other GUIs, because that is what is home to me. This forum used to sit open on my desktop at all times. Now I probably come back once a month to see whats new.

I wish we could just take off where Frey gave up and take this thing underground. Or opensource it. I wish I was a coder sometimes.

I just miss it is all.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarber69 View Post
... I still use SageMC. personally I dont like any of the other GUIs, because that is what is home to me. This forum used to sit open on my desktop at all times. Now I probably come back once a month to see whats new.

I wish we could just take off where Frey gave up and take this thing underground. Or opensource it. I wish I was a coder sometimes.

I just miss it is all.
SageMC was my favorite also, I moved on from that because I had too, but I miss it, as they say, "those were the days". I totally know how you feel.

I'll be moving on sortly, with 7MC as that is my only avenue right now. I'm still going to keep Sage running for a while, if not just for my ripped content.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg View Post
Now, can we come up with something involving photon torpedos, or phasers?
How about "It's dead Jim."

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
R&D on the hd300 is done, at most, they should have made a minor revision change (hardware version 1.1) to fix the issues in the startup system (the hand soldered addon capacitor), and it has all the changeability to continue functioning as a SageTV extender, and would have worked perfectly well as a Google fiber extender as well.
Actually it's not, I've got bugs logged with them for issues with the HD300 (the reason I was looking at the Echo) that are never going to get fixed.

Quote:
The announcement was unexpected (as in, we had no warning) but I don't think the result is unexpected. Google obviously wanted the Sage IP and people for something and didn't want them distracted with something else, so I don't see how it's surprising they ended SageTV sales entirely (beyond the lack of warning).

Contrast this to Nik Software, which Google also bought recently, but in that case they've committed to keeping the "professional" products (eg Lightroom plugins) for sale and under development as they only wanted a small part of that company's IP.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Actually it's not, I've got bugs logged with them for issues with the HD300 (the reason I was looking at the Echo) that are never going to get fixed.
I was referring to it being done to a market-presentable level. They would have no problem selling many of them as soon as they could manufacture them.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:16 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
and would have worked perfectly well as a Google fiber extender as well.
It would be a fragmentation of their Google fiber platform that is, I'm guessing, Android based. Far more reason not to include it in Google Fiber than to have.

Quote:
I was referring to it being done to a market-presentable level. They would have no problem selling many of them as soon as they could manufacture them.
But it would distract ex-Sage staff from their current responsibilities at Google, and there would be little to no benefit for Google.

How this small community receives Google Fiber will have no real bearing on its success.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
But if they were still selling them (beyond a closeout of existing inventory perhaps) people, I would expect them to continue to support it and fix bugs that are identified.