SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Sage User

What does having an extra Linux server license do for me

I have a Windows 7 machine setup as a dedicated Sage server and is working almost flawlessly. I have 2 hd200's and an hd300 as my main viewing clients, with a client license on a desktop that I use as my main home PC along with placeshifter on a laptop that I use a lot on the road.

I absolutely love my Sage TV system, but I would like to have just 1 more hd300 or client for a TV that I would like to add in a room in the back of my house. I purchased a Linux server license some time ago to tinker with. Is there anything I can do with the Linux server license as a client. I know that I could use the Linux license as my Sage server and that would free up the Windows server license to use as a client? I really don't want to do that since my Windows setup is working so well and I use Playon.

I don't do much viewing on my client (main home PC) so I might be better off building a client and using that client license for the added TV and adding placeshifter to the main home pc. As long as I wasn't placeshifting elsewhere wouldn't that work?

I would really like to get some good out of the Linux server license though. Any thoughts????
8 gig ram windows 10 64 bit, sage V9.2.0.441 64 bit running in a VM on a ESXI 6.0 host - Xeon 1246 E3 - 32 GB ram, 2 TB recording drive with the controller passed through and 5 TB recording drive spave in a Freenas server, 1 silicon dust HDHR DUO and 1 Quatro for 6 OTA tuners, 1 HDHR Prime for 3 cable tuners, 2 BM1000-HDMI network encoders for cableboxes, 2 Placeshifters, 3 extenders, 1client
Old 08-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Sage Icon

I also have a Linux license that I am not using. I would rather have 3 client licenses instead. Maybe your extra Linux license can be run in client mode. Or, use the Linux license for the server and run your Windows server license for another client.

Dave
Old 08-29-2011, 04:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Maybe your extra Linux license can be run in client mode. Or, use the Linux license for the server and run your Windows server license for another client.

Dave
Seeing there is no true Linux client (except for Placeshifter) I doubt that you can run the Linux server in client mode. He could run the Sage server with the -client switch to get that one more client needed without using the Linux version at all.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:24 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
He could run the Sage server with the -client switch to get that one more client needed without using the Linux version at all.

Gerry
Can that be done a separate computer, or does the client have to run on the same computer as the server software? If it is a separate computer, then everyone with the Windows SageTV server has one extra client computer 'license'.

Dave
Old 08-29-2011, 06:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Can that be done a separate computer, or does the client have to run on the same computer as the server software? If it is a separate computer, then everyone with the Windows SageTV server has one extra client computer 'license'.

Dave
Wherever you have the server software installed. That switch only works with the server executable.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Wherever you have the server software installed. That switch only works with the server executable.

Gerry
That's what I thought. So the short answer is the Linux server license does me no good. It would only help me if I switched my Sage Windows server to a Linux server, therefore freeing up the windows server license to be used with the -client switch. I may continue to tinker with that, but my windows Sage server is just so stable and works just like I want it, that I hate to mess with it.

I think I would experience less grief to use the client license on my main home PC for the added TV and use an additional instance of placeshifter on the main home PC. I could then use the main home PC to schedule recordings, install updates and watch a show on occasion. I would just be limited to only one instance of placeshifter running at a time. which shouldn't be a problem since I am the only one that uses it.

thank you all for your input
8 gig ram windows 10 64 bit, sage V9.2.0.441 64 bit running in a VM on a ESXI 6.0 host - Xeon 1246 E3 - 32 GB ram, 2 TB recording drive with the controller passed through and 5 TB recording drive spave in a Freenas server, 1 silicon dust HDHR DUO and 1 Quatro for 6 OTA tuners, 1 HDHR Prime for 3 cable tuners, 2 BM1000-HDMI network encoders for cableboxes, 2 Placeshifters, 3 extenders, 1client