SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Sage User

Backing Up SageTV

Hi,

I am going to format my computer as SageTV and many other programs are locking up way too often and I have not done a format in 6 years or more and it is desperately needed...I am wondering if there is a way to back up the channel setup, what I have watched so far and things like that...SageTV is installed on a different hard drive so the install directory will not be deleted when I format, I am wondering if I can just re-install SageTV to the same directory and it will keep all my settings and what I have watched already? If not is there a way that I can backup that information?

Thanks,
Flint.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Keep the wiz.bin and that's pretty much it. You can use the export channel lineup tool to copy your channel lineup. It doesn't capture what is and isn't selected, but it works.

I recently built a new server and it went great. All I copied from the old server was the wiz.bin and channel logos and fanart. Other than that let sage create everything from scratch. Using a .properties file from an older install can make strange things happen.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Sage User

Thanks that doesnt sound too bad...Im guessing the channel lineup tool is part of SageTV software...

Does the wiz.bin keep all the shows that I have already watched marked with a "W"? Im a little too dependant on that now, lol...

Thanks again!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Sage Expert

I would recommend using one of the backup scripts and backup the entire sagetv folder.

As to the channel lineup, that is kept in the properties files. My understanding is wiz.bin does keep track of the watched files.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 12-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Using a .properties file from an older install can make strange things happen.
^^THIS^^

I've reinstalled SageTV prolly 5 times or so. Honestly now, I just use the "sort by enabled" option for channels and jot them down on paper. It doesn't take that long to re-enable from a fresh lineup. Plus you get all new EPG and fresh channel logos.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 12-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the replies...

One other thing, is there a way to back up the recordings? I want the recordings to keep their original form, recordings of the same show separated into folders under the shows title...I have a feeling that there is no way to do this, once I format and reinstall all recordings will be treated like an imported video and will not get separated by title into folders, is that correct?

Thanks again!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by superFLINT View Post
Thanks for the replies...

One other thing, is there a way to back up the recordings? I want the recordings to keep their original form, recordings of the same show separated into folders under the shows title...I have a feeling that there is no way to do this, once I format and reinstall all recordings will be treated like an imported video and will not get separated by title into folders, is that correct?

Thanks again!
save your wiz.bin and after you re-install sage, you copy your original wiz.bin over the brand new wiz.bin and it will recognize all of your recordings and they won't be imported videos.

it is sometimes better if your new computer has your recordings in the same place they were before you reformat the OS drive, but it isn't neccessary. what I mean is that if you recordings are on the M: drive, when you rebuild the computer and re-attach the M: drive, make sure that the drive letter the new OS assigns to it is M: . If it isn't, change it to M:. It isn't absolutely neccessary, sage should be able to match up all your recordings even if the drive letter changed, but it can help.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Sage User

Well that did not go as planned!

I backed up the wiz.bin and I also used the backup bat files, I got it all backed up but when I tried to restore Sage it all went bad...If I leave Sage as is after install, no restoring with the backed up files, then I get most of my recordings back in the correct place but I am missing some recordings even though they are on the HDs, weird...If I replace the wiz.bin with my backed up copy then all my recordings are in the correct spot and none are missing plus I get the Watched icons back, but I cannot record any new shows - everytime I goto record a new show it does nothing. Also, restoring the old wiz.bin puts all my old imported videos back in the video section, even though none of the videos exist anymore and none can be played or removed, again weird...

So I guess I am stuck with missing recordings, cant tell what I got watched or not watched and recordings all over the place...Happy New Year!

Sage you need to create a backup tool that will import and export settings/recordings from an old install into a new install...
Old 01-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Did you retain the original computer name? I just moved from XP to Windows 7x64, I kept the name of the pc. Installed sagetv, got it configured, then copied over wiz.bin from xp install. Everything was in the correct locations. I use UNC paths for recordiing and import directories.
Serv:ECS H61H2-T1 ITX I7 3770S CPU@3.1GHZ 8G Ram WIN1064 HDPVR, HD Homerun|network encoder Unraid Server:B75MU3B I5-3550 CPU@3.30GHz 9TB 16G Ram|Network HDPVR encoder:Win10 VM 8G Ram with Processor passthrough. Directv Http tuning to Genie, exemultitunplugin to Genie client. Http scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie. Usb uirt scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie client. Clients Android TV, Samsung TAB A
Old 01-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Sage User

Actually I never used the same name, I just hope I remember the old name now, lol...Im gonna give it a try now...

Thanks...
Old 01-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Sage User

Naa that didnt work either...Same thing, everything looks fine but it wont record or play any of my previous recordings - says they are not on disk anymore but they are, lol....

I just discovered something else, the path that I had sage installed on last time was C:\Program Files\FreyTechnologies\SageTV and now I have it installed in C:\Program Files\SageTV...I guess Im gonna have to uninstall and reinstall it again to see what happens cause that is probably the cause...Dang it!

Thanks again...
Old 01-02-2012, 07:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by superFLINT View Post
Naa that didnt work either...Same thing, everything looks fine but it wont record or play any of my previous recordings - says they are not on disk anymore but they are, lol....

I just discovered something else, the path that I had sage installed on last time was C:\Program Files\FreyTechnologies\SageTV and now I have it installed in C:\Program Files\SageTV...I guess Im gonna have to uninstall and reinstall it again to see what happens cause that is probably the cause...Dang it!

Thanks again...
Are you installing the same version of SageTV? The wiz.bin is not generally compatible between sage versions...

k
Old 01-02-2012, 05:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Are you installing the same version of SageTV? The wiz.bin is not generally compatible between sage versions...

k
Moving UP in versions isn't a problem. On first run with the older version wiz.bin in place, sage will make a backup and upgrade it to the current version (will sometimes take a while, so you'll get a LONG startup time that time).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-02-2012, 05:31 PM
SageTVaholic

If you have not already... you may want to check out this FAQ...

How to move SageTV to a new computer and retain all recordings

k
Old 01-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Sage User

I was worried about that, versions do not like playing with each other...I dont know what version I got backed up, but I do still have the entire directory of the original SageTV install...Just checked it and it says that both are the same version, but I dont believe it for some reason cause its not working right...

I have done it a number of times now and each time I run it for first time it does take awhile to get up and running...

I am gonna have a look at that guide now too...

Last edited by superFLINT; 01-02-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Sage User

Jusjoken it worked! Well for the most part...

I followed the guide and it got all my recordings back in their right places, but they would not play and I could not set anything to record - it would let me click record but it would not set sage to record and nothing showing on recording schedule...So I was gonna give up on it and reinstall again and just go from fresh but I decided to copy almost all the files from the old SageTV folder into the new install folder and voila it all worked! I can record, play and they are all back in their old places with all my category colors and it shows what I got watched, deadly! But I did forget about 60 odd recordings I had backed up on my portable HD, I am now copying those over and hoping they will go back right too! They did go back to their correct places but 3 or 4 of them ended up back in the imported videos section, Im not gonna worry about those, I will watch them and delete them first to get rid of them as they are not keeper recordings...

Thanks again Jusjoken for the guide info, I would have never got it without that!
Flint.