SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 01-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Unhappy SSD's are not affected by the HDD Price Increases

No moving parts, no magnetic erase, no errors or data loss due to overheating (assuming no fire or melting) or vibration.

Read / write speeds superior to HDD's, more IOPS and longer expected life spans (most SSD's will, in theory, outlast their users).

Right now (until 01/09/12) you can get a great 120GB one for $175 ($125 off) @ newegg.
($55 manufacturer's mail in rebate, $70 instant rebate)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820139601

(NOT FOR MAC OS!)

BTW, it also come with Acronis TrueHD, so you can make a backup and store it somewhere else if you want (or just clone/replace your current OS drive if it is still bootable).

Last edited by doncote0; 01-03-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Should mention the included software...
Old 01-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncote0 View Post
Right now (until 01/09/12) you can get a great 120GB one for $175 ($125 off) @ newegg.
($55 manufacturer's mail in rebate, $70 instant rebate)

link fail...
EDIT: Found it.... I'd buy the Vertex 3 though... $190 no mail in rebate required
Check out TVExplorer

Last edited by razrsharpe; 01-03-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Red face Updated Original and This One

The Vertex 3 is good, too. The one you listed also has a $20 rebate. The Kingston HyperX is rated higher though with fewer individuals going postal.

I am running Vertex 2 RAID. I run the HyperX at work. Very impressed with the setup, the included extras, the support and the thoughtfulness (as well as the performance).

Does the Vertex 3 come with cloning software, SATA III cable, USB cable and the hardware to make an external 2.5" USB drive? (I know it also comes with the 3.5" to 2.5" tray adapter.)

BTW, the HyperX also utilizes an advanced wear leveling technology (beyond just TRIM alone) that I wish all of my SSD's had.

Last edited by doncote0; 01-03-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
What in the world would you need a 120GB SSD on a sage server for? should be able to fit it all on 40GB or less... a LOT cheaper..

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Please don't post the same thing in multiple topics & then add several more posts to other topics linking to the first ones. They are all in one place now, with the repeats/links removed.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Lightbulb

If you are building your system to support future technologies, it makes sense to use a SATA III drive (which starts at 60GB). That will run $90-$115 depending on your preference. If you got the 120GB it would run $175 but also comes with the cloning software, the external drive adapter and a SATA cable as well as a 2.5" to 3.5" tray adapter.

These drives will probably last at least a couple of decades, so forecast to figure out your preference.

Remember, at one time, it was thought that 640K of available memory was enough.

For storage, 10 years ago, I was not even talking GB, everything was MB and the idea of using a GB was crazy and no one would every need that much. Now we are talking GB easily with TB being the "crazy" term. Give it 10 more years and we might be talking PetaByte.

OS's have been following a similar path. While WinXP uses several MB's, Win7 uses a few GB's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
What in the world would you need a 120GB SSD on a sage server for?
You might need it for the future.

While the jump from $100 to $175 is significant, I would seriously consider the larger drive based on the added extras, the product track record and "future proofing". I do not want to be both penny-wise and pound-foolish when it comes to technology or the time I invest in maintaining it.

For those wanting a solution for right now, a cheap (older technology) 40GB SSD will cost about $50.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

I picked up one of these for my OS Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148441

It is certainly more space than I will need for an OS drive in the next 5 years or so. Who knows what prices will be like then or what new tech will be available.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonen View Post
I picked up one of these for my OS Drive
Nice.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonen View Post
I picked up one of these for my OS Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148441

It is certainly more space than I will need for an OS drive in the next 5 years or so. Who knows what prices will be like then or what new tech will be available.
I'm about to grab one of those for my client. I have a little 30gb kingston, but need more space. They are supposed to be awesome drives. I considered getting one for my server, but since I only use clients I don't think it would really help me at all.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

I really didn't need it, but I was upgrading my server so I thought, "WTH". I just really wanted a faster processor. I think I comskipped something like 15 recording simultaneously in like 20 minutes the other day.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:

These drives will probably last at least a couple of decades, so forecast to figure out your preference.
Will they though? How soon will flash cells get worn out with the average Sage user?

You might be there with the decade or so if you get the larger drive and only use like 30% or so.

Has anyone here had to replace a SSD yet due to wear? (on a win 7 which handle wear leveling)

I'm tempted to upgrade my machine to allow more memory so I can use a ram drive for sage and other programs.

Jim
Old 01-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuszkie View Post
Will they though? How soon will flash cells get worn out with the average Sage user?

You might be there with the decade or so if you get the larger drive and only use like 30% or so.

Has anyone here had to replace a SSD yet due to wear? (on a win 7 which handle wear leveling)

I'm tempted to upgrade my machine to allow more memory so I can use a ram drive for sage and other programs.

Jim
If you believe Jeff Atwood, of Codinghorror and Stackexchange fame, SSD are not particularly reliable. I would not expect a decade of use from a SSD.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/201...ive-scale.html
Old 01-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
What in the world would you need a 120GB SSD on a sage server for? should be able to fit it all on 40GB or less... a LOT cheaper..
Unless you are running Windows 7. It has this nasty habit of keeping a whole bunch of files around for compatibility sake. (C:\Windows\winsxs). I found that my 80 GB system partitions started to get used up if I installed lots of software. May not be an issue with a SAGETV server if you're not installing other applications and remove the ones you no longer use.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecadet View Post
If you believe Jeff Atwood, of Codinghorror and Stackexchange fame, SSD are not particularly reliable. I would not expect a decade of use from a SSD.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/201...ive-scale.html
You've got to be very careful with anecdotal evidence like that. If there really were a problem anywhere approaching that magnitude (100% failure in that blog's case) it would be huge news, and nobody would be using them.

To add my own anecdote, I've got SSDs in every machine I run (a total of 4 SSDs so far), including a Vertext 2 I got in 2009, and I've not had an issue with any of them.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
For storage, 10 years ago, I was not even talking GB, everything was MB and the idea of using a GB was crazy and no one would every need that much. Now we are talking GB easily with TB being the "crazy" term.
I think your recollection is off by several years or more. 10 years ago the 5GB iPod had already been introduced so the idea of walking around with several GB in your pocket was a reality for early adopters of the iPod.

The first TiVo shipped in March of 1999 - almost 13 years ago - and it came with a 13GB hard drive that stored about 12 hours of video.

20GB hard drives and larger were commonplace a decade ago.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
To add my own anecdote, I've got SSDs in every machine I run (a total of 4 SSDs so far), including a Vertext 2 I got in 2009, and I've not had an issue with any of them.
On the other hand, my Vertex2 started bluescreening on me a couple of weeks ago, less than a year after I bought it. I had to update firmware, do a secure erase, reformat, and restore from backup to get it working again. No issues since then, so it may simply have been a transient error. Or I may have a time bomb in my system waiting to go off again.

But regardless of the reliability, trying to plan your storage needs a decade or more in advance is pointless in my opinion. Even ignoring any technological breakthroughs between now and then, there's such a thing as opportunity cost. By spending more than you have to on gigabytes you don't need, you're tying up money that could have been used for other purposes that might deliver greater bang for your buck.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
Unless you are running Windows 7. It has this nasty habit of keeping a whole bunch of files around for compatibility sake. (C:\Windows\winsxs). I found that my 80 GB system partitions started to get used up if I installed lots of software. May not be an issue with a SAGETV server if you're not installing other applications and remove the ones you no longer use.
That is a false size. The winsxs folder is mostly filled by hard links, so yes, while they will SHOW a large size, they are actually not taking up much space at all.

Also, the winsxsx folder grows when you install programs. On a sage server that is lightly interacted with, it's not going to swell much at all. Hell, my everyday desktop runs on a 40GB SSD system drive, and I've still got about 6GB free on it.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room

Last edited by Fuzzy; 01-05-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

[QUOTE=GKusnick;523969]On the other hand, my Vertex2 started bluescreening on me a couple of weeks ago, less than a year after I bought it. I had to update firmware, do a secure erase, reformat, and restore from backup to get it working again. No issues since then, so it may simply have been a transient error. Or I may have a time bomb in my system waiting to go off again.

One thing to keep in the back of your mind if it happens again, is to disable hybernate/sleep mode. powercfg -h off I say this because I would get an occasional blue screen (once about every 2 months or so). My bud was also seeing the same issue. Since we have did that, i haven't had a blue screen in over a year. These are in our gaming rigs and didn't matter the controller used. Agility1, Vertex 2, 3, Intel x25, and Crucial C300. Its a known issue, just something to try if it starts BSODing again.

As far as longevity in previous posts, my Agility 1 is still in my main gaming rig, has no noticable slow down...around a 12 sec boot with splash screen disabled. Get a decade out of it...will see but the limitation of being an early adoptee is the onboard cache on agility 1, be lucky if it has 32MB...once that fills up = stutter.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
On the other hand, my Vertex2 started bluescreening on me a couple of weeks ago, less than a year after I bought it. I had to update firmware, do a secure erase, reformat, and restore from backup to get it working again. No issues since then, so it may simply have been a transient error. Or I may have a time bomb in my system waiting to go off again.

But regardless of the reliability, trying to plan your storage needs a decade or more in advance is pointless in my opinion. Even ignoring any technological breakthroughs between now and then, there's such a thing as opportunity cost. By spending more than you have to on gigabytes you don't need, you're tying up money that could have been used for other purposes that might deliver greater bang for your buck.
AFAIK that was an issue with many of the SandForce based drives. The firmware update supposedly resolved that issue.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.