SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Sage User

Great Solution for Small Cheap Client

After battling all weekend to get the client configured properly, I figured I would share my experience and hopefully help someone out that is looking into a small client now that HD300s are so expensive.

I bought a small Foxcon nettop PC from Newegg, threw in 4GB stick of RAM, and a 32GB SSD...all for the low price of $231. I didn't need a remote...had another MCE remote lying around.

The main issue was codecs and tweaking the OS to run video smoothly. I installed x64 Windows 7, Java 7u5, and Cyberlink PowerDVD 11...heard of problems with 12. Then I installed the Client, tweaked numbuffers and buffersize in the registry as well as the Java heap size trick. Rebooted and went into the Client to configure which codec to use. For some reason PowerDVD doesn't register properly so SageTV doesn't show it as an option. I ran from cmd.exe as ADMIN regsvr32 C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD11\Common\VideoFilter\cldvd.ax

I then rebooted again...SageTV Client still show PowerDVD codec, so I selected show all codecs and there was now a PowerDVD Video Decoder. I selected that decoder for pretty much all the video filters.

I now get smooth HD and SD playback as well as smooth mp4 and mkv playback. I did not install any other codecs...just PowerDVD.

I am very pleased overall...a client that runs great and was under $250!!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

Can you provide a link to the hardware you bought? Or more details on the hardware?
Extenders: Nvidia Shield x2 / 3 placeshifters
Server Software: Win 10 64, SageTV 9.1.5.683, Java 8_241, Real VNC
Other: MiniClient, Commercial Detector UI, Sage Recording Extender
Old 07-16-2012, 07:01 AM
Sage Expert

Yes please do! inquiring minds want to know!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

as do copying minds who might want to do this following your lead.

Also, can anyone help me remember: Do I get 1x client licenses as part of the server license I use? Or would I have to explicitly purchased one? I have only ever used extenders, so I'm not sure.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond00 View Post
I bought a small Foxcon nettop PC from Newegg, threw in 4GB stick of RAM, and a 32GB SSD...all for the low price of $231. I didn't need a remote...had another MCE remote lying around.
I assume that $231 doesn't include a Windows 7 license or a PowerDVD license? That's about $200 right there.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk51 View Post
Also, can anyone help me remember: Do I get 1x client licenses as part of the server license I use? Or would I have to explicitly purchased one?
You do get a client license, which can either be used on the same machine as the server license, or used as a client on a different machine so long as you are not using it as a server license.

You'll need to purchase an additional client license to run on a "small cheap client".
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 07-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
You do get a client license, which can either be used on the same machine as the server license, or used as a client on a different machine so long as you are not using it as a server license.

You'll need to purchase an additional client license to run on a "small cheap client".
<sound of screeching brakes>

wait a minute...when you buy (or bought, as it were) the SageTV software you get a free client license? Does it have its own separate key? I never knew this.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Sage Icon

Yes, the Windows server software comes/came with a built-in client. It's exactly how my primary HTPC is set up -- it is both the SageTV server and its connected to my TV. Only one license key required.
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 07-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
Yes, the Windows server software comes/came with a built-in client. It's exactly how my primary HTPC is set up -- it is both the SageTV server and its connected to my TV. Only one license key required.
In addition to only one license key being required, only one license key is provided. That license can be setup on one computer as a combined server/client, or it can be setup on one computer as a client only. Refer to page 264 of the SageTV Version 7.0 User Guide for details on how to set it up to strictly operate as a client.

<sound of rapid acceleration>
Old 07-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
In addition to only one license key being required, only one license key is provided. That license can be setup on one computer as a combined server/client, or it can be setup on one computer as a client only. Refer to page 264 of the SageTV Version 7.0 User Guide for details on how to set it up to strictly operate as a client.

ok, I misunderstood...I thought the poster was stating that with the original purchase you got both a server license key AND a client license for a separate SageTV client to connect to a SageTV server. I was thinking 'after all these years of reading and posting on here, how did that escape me?'

Not interested in setting my mid-tower server next to my TV to double as a client.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

I'll have to search around this forum for the v7 user guide. I upgraded to v7 after they closed up and locked the doors.

I recently bought a client license key from a user on this forum but haven't used it yet. Is the client key a different format or syntax from a server key? Or stated another way, how does the server validate that the key that is being used for a client is a valid client key and not another server key?

Up to this point I have used exclusively HDx00 & MVP extenders and SageTV placeshifters but am looking to build or buy hardware to use as a SageTV (or Ubuntu TV, if they ever get it going) client.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Sage User

First, here's the link. I can't believe I forgot to do that in the first place! Yesterday it was listed at $165...now its back up to $185.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856119070

Fortunately for me, I have plenty of Windows 7 licenses through IEEE membership (MSDN access) and work...so I didn't include that fee. I also already had a remote, so I can see how the price can easily creep up.

I had previously purchased two SageTV client licenses thinking I might someday use them...and good thing now that you can't purchase them any more. I'm running two days without any problems. My wife is VERY happy we don't have a huge computer under the TV and it runs great. After using MCE as well for a while, Sage is SOO much better. I really hope Google doesn't eff it up.

Not saying its for everyone...but hopefully it can help someone...after I spent the weekend in codec hell.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilded07 View Post
Or stated another way, how does the server validate that the key that is being used for a client is a valid client key and not another server key?
At least for Windows servers, my understanding is the only validation that is performed at the server level is that each connected client has a unique license (i.e. a second client using the same license key as the first client is not allowed to connect to the server).

The client itself determines whether the provided key is valid when the key is registered. In fact, I believe you can install and register a client license even without a server running.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
First, here's the link. I can't believe I forgot to do that in the first place! Yesterday it was listed at $165...now its back up to $185.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856119070

Fortunately for me, I have plenty of Windows 7 licenses through IEEE membership (MSDN access) and work...so I didn't include that fee. I also already had a remote, so I can see how the price can easily creep up.

I had previously purchased two SageTV client licenses thinking I might someday use them...and good thing now that you can't purchase them any more. I'm running two days without any problems. My wife is VERY happy we don't have a huge computer under the TV and it runs great. After using MCE as well for a while, Sage is SOO much better. I really hope Google doesn't eff it up.

Not saying its for everyone...but hopefully it can help someone...after I spent the weekend in codec hell.
Its 182.99 as a combo deal with 4 gig of memory. .. maybe you can post a link to the drive you bought.

Last edited by nyplayer; 07-16-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Sage User

That's my understanding as well. I initially used a license that was already in use on my network, and SageTV Client threw an error when trying to connect to the Server saying another client was already using that license. So then I had to run sagetvclient.exe with REGISTER as a command line argument.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:24 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm actually looking at one of those boxes for a tiny client. Let us know how it works.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

What were the registry settings and java heap trick that you used? Can you give some details or a link?

Quote:
After battling all weekend to get the client configured properly, I figured I would share my experience and hopefully help someone out that is looking into a small client now that HD300s are so expensive.

The main issue was codecs and tweaking the OS to run video smoothly. I installed x64 Windows 7, Java 7u5, and Cyberlink PowerDVD 11...heard of problems with 12. Then I installed the Client, tweaked numbuffers and buffersize in the registry as well as the Java heap size trick. Rebooted and went into the Client to configure which codec to use. For some reason PowerDVD doesn't register properly so SageTV doesn't show it as an option. I ran from cmd.exe as ADMIN regsvr32 C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD11\Common\VideoFilter\cldvd.ax

I then rebooted again...SageTV Client still show PowerDVD codec, so I selected show all codecs and there was now a PowerDVD Video Decoder. I selected that decoder for pretty much all the video filters.

I now get smooth HD and SD playback as well as smooth mp4 and mkv playback. I did not install any other codecs...just PowerDVD.

I am very pleased overall...a client that runs great and was under $250!!
Old 08-14-2012, 07:17 AM
Sage Icon

I couldn't tell exactly from the mfgr website whether Win7 would be a requirement for that client or if XP would perform up to 1080p media.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Sage Fanatic

I built a couple of clients with this netbook, and I see it is now $154.99 in white

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856119072

I may have to try a third...
SERVER: Win 7 x64/i7-860/Zotac H55ITX-C-E/Corsair H70/CFI a7879 case/12 TB Pooled with Drive Bender. DVBLogic: streaming HDPVR content to SageTV, WMC Clients, NPVR Clients, Remote Computers & iphone. 2ea HDPVR, 3ea HDHomeRun, 2ea VIP211
Old 08-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Sage User

Tweaks for Foxconn A3700 - perfect!

Went with this, but the video still skips. Upgraded to the new Realtek 1Gbps drivers (7.61.612), installed Java 7u5, increased heap to 512, increase network to use 9k Jumbo Frames. Set video Renderer to EVR, MPEG2 Decorder to Microsoft DTV-DVD, MPEG2 AUdio to AC3, and the rest at default. HD Audio Output ENabled.

Video is Super SMOOTH....

BUT

A recorded HiDef ts file takes 16s to start playing!

So went to server and increase Java Heap to 1Gbps, switched on Jumbo Frames to 9K. Also, replaced she sh*tty Realtek 1Gbps with a Intel (best $35 EVER spent!!! my other identical server causes the 16s delay and the only diff is that it has the onboard Realtek cr@p).

Also, recommend animations are switch off on the Foxconn A3700 - and it is super sweet!

Thanks to all the folks on this and other threads for the insights!