SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

HD PVR driver version 1.7.1.30059

Anybody have any experience with the 'current' version driver for the HD PVR? I tried the 1.6.whatever and it just made my life complicated... I'm back at the 1.5.7 which works fine but try to keep reasonably in step with the drivers.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have been using the latest driver since it came out. Works fine. BTW, I'm using SPDIF for 5.1 sound.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Me too. The latest driver plays nice with the Sage stuff. My HD200's play the stream fine, as well as the clients.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Sage Expert

The only thing about the new drivers is that you may have to adjust some stuff in the sage.properties to set the brightness and contrast properly.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargason View Post
The only thing about the new drivers is that you may have to adjust some stuff in the sage.properties to set the brightness and contrast properly.
Do you know those settings? I remember having to adjust that stuff with the previous version, but nobody at that time had it quite figured out and I couldn't get it sorted on my own either.... so I flushed and went back to the .5 version.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:57 AM
Sage Expert

The settings are in this thread:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...t=49290&page=2

In summary, you need to change

brightness = 128;
contrast = 64;
hue = 128;
saturation = 64;
sharpness = 128;

in 2 or three different locations within the file. If the value currently in the file is -1, you leave it alone, otherwise you put in the value from the table above. You can adjust the values for your tastes -- these are a good starting point.

The main problem people seem to have is that they forget to STOP THE SAGE SERVICE before editing the .properties file. If you don't do this, the changes won't 'stick'.

Hope that helps. Post back if you run into problems.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargason View Post
brightness = 128;
contrast = 64;
hue = 128;
saturation = 64;
sharpness = 128;

in 2 or three different locations within the file. If the value currently in the file is -1, you leave it alone, otherwise you put in the value from the table above. You can adjust the values for your tastes -- these are a good starting point.
Thx. I did that with the .6 version and it just didn't look quite right,... but I can't tell my contrast from my brightness and starting and stopping the entire service to make a small adjustment is way too fussy, wish there was a simple adjust while looking at the screen way of doing this.... you know like we used to do with a TV years and years ago....
updated the driver and looks good enough to me, the biggest bang for the buck was upping the recording quality to the full HD PVR capable... beyond sage's "best" setting... that was really noticable! Cheers.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:00 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesquid View Post
T
updated the driver and looks good enough to me, the biggest bang for the buck was upping the recording quality to the full HD PVR capable... beyond sage's "best" setting... that was really noticable! Cheers.
I'm not aware of that. How do you up the recording quality? Are you saying the newest drivers do that automatically or is there someone one needs to go in the properties file of somewhere else?

Thanks much!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post
I'm not aware of that. How do you up the recording quality? Are you saying the newest drivers do that automatically or is there someone one needs to go in the properties file of somewhere else?

Thanks much!
Closed down sagetv (and the SERVICE as well)
add this line to the sage.properties file in the mmc section (I did alphabetica order but suspect it doesn't matter):
mmc/python2_encoding/HDPVRMax=videobitrate\=13500000|vbr\=0|outputstreamtype\=1

start sagetv

goto setup/detailed setup/multimedia - clicked on record quality, chose the HDPVR, you'll see a new option called HDPVRMAX, at 6.9GB/HR. It's more gooder than the 5.x sage uses as the default 'best', noticeably clearer recordings.

See thread:http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...HD+PVR+quality
Old 08-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks bikesquid!

I tested it out, and I can see via mediainfo as well that the bitrate is higher with the HDPVRmax setting. That's a good thing.

Have to say though I can't tell a lick of difference on my 120" screen when going back between the Best and HDPVR max recordings (few minutes of the same program).

Perhaps this is because I've only got my Dish boxes outputting 720p to begin with (because way back when my HDPVR's crashed it seemed like it might be more stable with those settings). Maybe I'll try bumping up to 1080i when I get the chance.

Can't believe I never knew this BTW...

Last edited by Chriscic; 08-18-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Sage Expert

I applied the changes but now I have a green tint, especially the skin tones. Any ideas on how to rid the green?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Bertelson View Post
I applied the changes but now I have a green tint, especially the skin tones. Any ideas on how to rid the green?
Make sure your cables are secure. Other than that, start adjusting the 'hue' value until it looks like you want. Make sure to stop/restart the sage service if you want the value to stick.