SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Gemstone for v7
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Gemstone for v7 This forum is for discussing the user-created Gemstone custom interface for SageTV.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Sage Icon

strange behavior deleting a TV show?

Is the "delete" behavior a little strange in Gemstone? Perhaps it's something just in my setup?

I view my TV in the list flow. When i select a show to delete, i pull up the options, and select "delete this recording." I then confirm the delete.

However, the show remains in the listing. If i try to play it, I get an error about the video no longer being available. So i'm pretty sure that it's being deleted from the disk, but it's still showing up.

I haven't play with it too much, but I think that if i exit the flow, and re-enter, it's gone. Perhaps there is a cache of shows that doesn't get updated immediately?

Matt
Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
I haven't play with it too much, but I think that if i exit the flow, and re-enter, it's gone. Perhaps there is a cache of shows that doesn't get updated immediately?

Matt
Full disclaimer: I am not a member of the gemstone team... but I did come across this while programming TVE...

My guess is that the list of recordings is generated when you enter the view. After deletion the list is not regenerated so it requires you to leave the view and come back to it to reflect the current state. In TVE i had to put special code in to regenerate the list if i just deleted something so that you wouldnt need to leave and re-enter...
Check out TVExplorer
Old 10-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Sage Icon

Correct and on our list to fix/update.

Thanks,

J
Old 10-02-2012, 04:48 PM
SageTVaholic

For now you have 2 choices...leave the flow and return and it will be refreshed... OR turn on flow caching in the options which will then offer a refresh option and use that after the delete.

But we will refresh after delete...perhaps optionally to improve performance on multiple deletes.

k
Old 12-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
Is the "delete" behavior a little strange in Gemstone? Perhaps it's something just in my setup?

I view my TV in the list flow. When i select a show to delete, i pull up the options, and select "delete this recording." I then confirm the delete.

However, the show remains in the listing. If i try to play it, I get an error about the video no longer being available. So i'm pretty sure that it's being deleted from the disk, but it's still showing up.

Matt
I'm seeing a somewhat similar strange behavior on my HD200/300's, except I get a "Can't delete file, it is currently in use" error when I try to delete. However, a refresh of the flow shows it does get deleted.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker View Post
I'm seeing a somewhat similar strange behavior on my HD200/300's, except I get a "Can't delete file, it is currently in use" error when I try to delete. However, a refresh of the flow shows it does get deleted.
Can you describe the process you are using for the delete..and some info about the type of media that is stating an error. Are you doing a single item delete using the delete button or a group delete or a delete from the sage menu?

A copy of the log may help too so we can find the issue.

Thanks
k
Old 01-02-2013, 12:54 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Can you describe the process you are using for the delete..and some info about the type of media that is stating an error. Are you doing a single item delete using the delete button or a group delete or a delete from the sage menu?

A copy of the log may help too so we can find the issue.

Thanks
k
Single item delete of an imported video in a Dual Flow flow. Screenshot attached. I get this error in the flow on any client (even a client at the server).

Going back into the stock Sage7 Videos/ByFolder listing from the Main Menu (instead of the Dual Flow) allows me to delete the file without issue.

Log attached (showing 1st unsuccessful delete in the flow and 2nd successful delete in the Videos/ByFolder listing)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (302.4 KB, 217 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetvclient_0 - Copy.txt (318.5 KB, 184 views)
Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Single item delete of an imported video in a Dual Flow flow. Screenshot attached. I get this error in the flow on any client (even a client at the server).

Going back into the stock Sage7 Videos/ByFolder listing from the Main Menu (instead of the Dual Flow) allows me to delete the file without issue.

Log attached (showing 1st unsuccessful delete in the flow and 2nd successful delete in the Videos/ByFolder listing)
Thanks for the details... it really helps to figure things out.

A few things...

First. When we added the new delete function to the Flows in 1.019x we forgot to tie it into the video options menu delete function so they would both call the same code. I will add an issue to ensure we update this in the next version. So what you are using is the default Sage delete which should do the delete BUT will NOT refresh the list of videos (you need to leave the Flow and return to see it gone). However, something is stopping Sage from allowing it to delete the media item... it thinks it's in use.... had you just played this prior to trying the delete?

I seem to recall a known issue in Sage where the file may not be closed properly after being played...in fact I think there is a plugin for it... but not certain this is the issue... let me know if you were just playing the file.

Second. Try the new delete function in Gemstone in the same way and let me know what happens...basically use the DELETE button on the keyboard or remote.

Third. I did notice that you have an STVI plugin called "STV7.phoenix.compatability.1.0.1.stvi"... this is not needed for Gemstone so you may want to disable or uninstall it. This is not related... just thought I would mention it.

k
Old 01-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks for the details... it really helps to figure things out.

A few things...

First. When we added the new delete function to the Flows in 1.019x we forgot to tie it into the video options menu delete function so they would both call the same code. I will add an issue to ensure we update this in the next version. So what you are using is the default Sage delete which should do the delete BUT will NOT refresh the list of videos (you need to leave the Flow and return to see it gone). However, something is stopping Sage from allowing it to delete the media item... it thinks it's in use.... had you just played this prior to trying the delete?

I seem to recall a known issue in Sage where the file may not be closed properly after being played...in fact I think there is a plugin for it... but not certain this is the issue... let me know if you were just playing the file.
No, this was starting up SageTV cold, and going straight and trying to delete the file via the Dual Flow.
Right after the error, I can go back to the Main Menu, enter Videos by Folder (SageTV7 non-flow view), and am able to delete it, so it doesn't look like a file-lock issue at all.
I can reproduce the issue with any imported Video.

Quote:

Second. Try the new delete function in Gemstone in the same way and let me know what happens...basically use the DELETE button on the keyboard or remote.
Tried this, same result.

Quote:
Third. I did notice that you have an STVI plugin called "STV7.phoenix.compatability.1.0.1.stvi"... this is not needed for Gemstone so you may want to disable or uninstall it. This is not related... just thought I would mention it.

k
Thanks, uninstalled that. Didn't effect the delete issue though.
Have you tried reproducing this issue on your end? Curious if it's just me

-D
Old 01-03-2013, 12:10 AM
Sage Icon

I just tried deleting using the delete button on my keyboard and through the menu and had no issues here. I did notice that the listing of shows didn't refresh right away but nothing odd when deleting an imported TV show or recorded TV show.

I even went into the old video title screen and set to not allow video deletion and I was still able to delete an imported show from the dual flow view.

Still needs a tweak or two but the deletion functionality seems to be working fine for me.

Where are you imported videos stored? NAS, network share etc?

J

Last edited by jorton; 01-03-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorton View Post
I just tried deleting using the delete button on my keyboard and through the menu and had no issues here. I did notice that the listing of shows didn't refresh right away but nothing odd when deleting an imported TV show or recorded TV show.

I even went into the old video title screen and set to not allow video deletion and I was still able to delete an imported show from the dual flow view.

Still needs a tweak or two but the deletion functionality seems to be working fine for me.

Where are you imported videos stored? NAS, network share etc?

J
They are stored on a local drive, same drive but different folder from Recorded TV shows. No issues deleting recorded TV shows via a Dual Flow I created for that, only in a separate dual flow I created for Imported Videos.
I'll play around with different settings and flows and see if I can find out anything else....
Old 01-05-2013, 12:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

I played around with this issue a bit more today, and discovered that I can delete the Imported Videos in any flow type and in any view EXCEPT when the "View" is set to "Imported Videos by Folder."

It doesn't matter what flow type is used, I get the "cannot delete file, it is in use" error whenever the "View" is set to "Imported Videos by Folder."

Right after getting that error, I can go into the Flow options menu, change the View to anything OTHER than "Imported Videos by Folder," and can delete the Imported Video file just fine, no error.

So just curious, absent an ability to reproduce this issue or find any issues in the code, is there any way to reproduce the same result (Videos organized by folder as they are in the filesystem) using any of the other views/filters?

I really like the Dual Flow UI, but not being able to delete imported videos drags the WAF to 0
Old 01-05-2013, 01:08 AM
Sage Icon

I think the Imported Videos Imports by Folder view is quite different from the other views due to the way it displays the folder structure, so we will have to see what jusjoken has to say.

At least you narrowed it down to the view. I can confirm the delete issue is only with the Video Imports by Folder View. Doesn't matter what flow as I also got the error in the Sagetv Flow with the same Video Imports by Folder view.

Just curious but how do you have your videos organized and what makes the Video Imports by Folder view the one you need to use?

J

Last edited by jorton; 01-05-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:39 AM
SageTVaholic

As info we do have it on the list to look at another potential solution to mimic a Folder type view but can't promise it will work or will be any time soon.

As well, I will check the phoenix code and see if we can work around the delete issue for this view type.

k
Old 01-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorton View Post

Just curious but how do you have your videos organized and what makes the Video Imports by Folder view the one you need to use?

J
More historical than anything else...started organizing ripped movies and seasons by folder, and have found it easier to just keep going with that same setup.

I suppose I could flatten it all out, but I think that would involve a lot of work in BMT to sort out all the different material....
Old 01-06-2013, 06:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
More historical than anything else...started organizing ripped movies and seasons by folder, and have found it easier to just keep going with that same setup.

I suppose I could flatten it all out, but I think that would involve a lot of work in BMT to sort out all the different material....
Perhaps more to the point... why do you think you need the Video Imports by Folder view to display your media? It's not a bad view... it's complex on the backend so a little slower... but there are other views that will display your media in Show order.... which it sounds like your folder structure mimics too.

Just curious... as my media files are stored similarly... but the way I store them has nothing to do with the way I display them..... but there are lots of options as there are lots of users with different preferences.

k
Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

My "imported videos" folder is pretty much a "junk drawer" of media (e.g., some mutli-year series, some DVDs, Christmas shows organized into a XMAS folder, halloween shows organized into a Halloween folder, home movies in a Home Movies folder, etc.), and I really just haven't found a view that I felt integrated all these different types of media into a single intelligent and thoughtful layout.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Makes sense...you can try to use the menu system as them top level with a different flow for Home Movies, Christmas etc to mimic your folders and then use views that work for each independently. Or just keep using the folder view until we come up with something different.

In the mean time we will try to see why the delete is not working for this one specifically.

k
Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks!

Gemstone rocks by the way. I am using the dual flow for my regular Recordings, and the stock Sage7 videos by folder for the imported videos, and I'm loving it!

-D