SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Sage User

Help deciding on a Cablecard solution (Cablevision)

So its time for me to consider a cablecard solution to use with Sage TV, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the following:

Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650
Ceton InfiniTV 4

I am looking for a solution that will allow me to continue using Sage TV, and also be able to record any channel, including premium channels to my hard drive, and most importantly, I need it to change the channels automatically for me. I am getting the impression I have to add something or some software to be able to record premium channels.

I use Optimum Online, which is Cablevision on Long Island. I will be using Windows 7 x64

Any suggestions about any other products would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chaz
Old 10-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Sage Expert

Before you dive in head first, try to find out if Cablevision sets the Copy flag... my guess is that they set the premium channels "copy once" which means you can't view them through SageTV.

There's a webpage here that can help: http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/ It shows some channels that are free, but you may have to dig around for the others, or just call the cable company. (Be prepared for someone that doesn't know what you're talking about...) Here's a forum that might have some info: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ool I think it's monitored by some cable vision too.

I use the Hauppauge DCR-2650 and I'm quite happy with it. The only issue I have is that the tuning adapter dies about once a week and I have to power-cycle it. I don't know if that's a faulty tuning adapter or a driver issue with the tuner. Either way, it only affects a couple channels that I don't watch much. You may not even need a tuning adapter at all -- not everyone does.

The software you may have heard of is SageDCT, which you will definitely need. It is basically the interface between the cablecard tuner and SageTV. There's a thread here that discusses it. It's free and fairly easy to set up.

Last edited by Dargason; 10-07-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Sage User

Chaz, I'm in the same boat as you and have been looking at Infinitv 4. At one point cablevision had set most of their channels as copy once. From what it sounds like most of the channels are copy freely with the exception of a few (I've read Sci HD, G4 HD), plus the premium channels. I'm going to upgrade my server later this month and move to windows 8. When I do that I'll probably add and infinitv4 to the mix (to go along with pvr 2250 and hd pvr). To get the premium channels into the mix you'll need something like the hd pvr.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Administrator

I had a similar topic (listed below in the Similar Threads section): Using cablecard tuner with Cablevision?. I'm using a couple HDHR Primes & get most channels, but not the premiums like HBO, etc. For those channels, I use a couple HD-PVRs.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Sage User

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I will have to read up on the HD PVR, as I don't know what that is, but I definitely want the premium channels.

Thanks again!