SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
stuckless, the first log file gets created; however, it's empty. The second log file I attached as well. Maybe it means something more to you.
THere's nothing of interest in either of those logs

I didn't think that windows cared about the "case" of paths for files, but tvmaster2 seems to indicate that the path may require the path to be in the propper case. (this may be a Javaism rather than an OS thing in how java decides to find and run the program)

The fact that log file exists, means that Java is at least trying to run the vlc program... but the fact that the log file is empty, tells me that java failed to execute the program (which i thought would show up in the phoenix log).

Recheck your VLC path, and could you post your VLC path that you entered in BMT.

Also, in BMT, go to Configure -> Log4j Logging -> Logging, select "phoenix" from the list, and then near the bottom of the form there are 2 empty form fields... enter
Code:
log4j.logger.sagex.phoenix.remote
and
Code:
debug,PHOENIX
click "Add" and then Save. This enables debug logging for the remote apis (which includes streaming). Try again, we'll see if there's anything else of interest in the logs.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargason View Post
I think I understand this now. The fix is to add another option to the audio encoder: (scroll right to see the added option)

Code:
#transcode{width=480,height=360,fps=25,vcodec=mp4v,vb=500,venc=x264{aud,profile=baseline,level=30,keyint=30},acodec=mp4a,ab=96, channels=2}:std{access=livehttp{seglen=5,delsegs=false,numsegs=0,index=${PMS_PLAYLIST_FILE},index-url=${PMS_BASE_URL}${PMS_MEDIA_ID}-########.ts},mux=ts{use-key-frames},dst=${PMS_OUTPUT_DIR}/${PMS_MEDIA_ID}-########.ts}
Obviously, you need to add this to each of the 7 profiles.
sorry for my illiteracy here - is this to be added in the Sage properties file? if not, where? thanks
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 03-01-2013, 08:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
sorry for my illiteracy here - is this to be added in the Sage properties file? if not, where? thanks
These "profiles" are configured in the BMT web ui in the same place where you configured the VLC path. The only difference here, is that channels=2 was added. In the next phoenix release, I'll add those as default.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 PM
SageTVaholic

I added the entries you mentioned (below). I didn't restart sageTV after that. I just tried to play the videos again. The first log file is still empty. The second file, I attached. Hopefully, it's not necessary to restart sageTV after updating BMT"s log options (wife and kid are watching Elmo's world in living room).

EDIT: I dont know if this makes a difference or not, I have a separate 64bit version of Java installed on my sageTV server; not sure if it has anything to do with the 32bit version sageTV uses or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
THere's nothing of interest in either of those logs

I didn't think that windows cared about the "case" of paths for files, but tvmaster2 seems to indicate that the path may require the path to be in the propper case. (this may be a Javaism rather than an OS thing in how java decides to find and run the program)

The fact that log file exists, means that Java is at least trying to run the vlc program... but the fact that the log file is empty, tells me that java failed to execute the program (which i thought would show up in the phoenix log).

Recheck your VLC path, and could you post your VLC path that you entered in BMT.

Also, in BMT, go to Configure -> Log4j Logging -> Logging, select "phoenix" from the list, and then near the bottom of the form there are 2 empty form fields... enter
Code:
log4j.logger.sagex.phoenix.remote
and
Code:
debug,PHOENIX
click "Add" and then Save. This enables debug logging for the remote apis (which includes streaming). Try again, we'll see if there's anything else of interest in the logs.
Attached Files
File Type: txt phoenix.log.txt (143.5 KB, 146 views)

***RIP SageTV***

Last edited by mkanet; 03-01-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Kindle (the further adventures).....

I read JerryB's experience upgrading to 2.01 from 1.8 on the Kindle & decided to take the plunge anyway. Doing so I have experienced no errors. It works fine using aVia's video player for the transcoded stuff (mkv's & mpg's). For whatever reason, Mobo Player, MX Player and the Kindle player all failed in some fashion playing the transcodes.

To sum up, Phoenix 2.01 on kindle Fire HD 7" (latest OS version) using aVia's player working fine.

Thanks for posting it to the Googlecode site. I just did the purchase thing on my Sammy Note on Google Play. I'd really like to always have the latest and greatest on my Kindle. Would you ever consider having the app hosted on Amazon as well? Or is that just more headaches? Fonceur has TAsageTV hosted there. Perhaps he can tell you whether or not the sales at Amazon made it worth while.

Last edited by BobbyDing; 03-01-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscapesg1 View Post
Also, it seems like the code is very specific. It wouldn't pick up the path with C:\vlc\vlc.exe... but does with C:\VLC\vlc.exe.

Good to know! Luckily in this case I did a copy/paste from explorer, so it was exact. My normal SOP would have been to manually type it in with little regard to caps, and I would have still been tinkering with it tonight.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Mkanet, did you try the tip mentioned in post #229.? I had to save the config(s) on that BMT page using SAVE, and then again in the BMT REFRESH menu REFRESH CONFIGURATION for it to take and begin working.

Last edited by BobbyDing; 03-01-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDing View Post
It works fine using aVia's video player for the transcoded stuff (mkv's & mpg's). For whatever reason, Mobo Player, MX Player and the Kindle player all failed in some fashion playing the transcodes.
Thanks for the info. I'll download and try aVia's player on my Kindle Fire setup tomorrow. I'm not going to play with my Android phone setup since it is working great using MX player. As previously stated, Mobo player is also not working for transcodes on my Kindle Fire setup, although it does work for non-transcoded files. However, I don't think the player is the cause of the error's I'm seeing on my Kindle Fire. Did you install a version prior to 1.8 on your Kindle Fire and then upgrade to 1.8 and then 2.0.1? I'm trying to figure out the difference in our setups, other than the player which I'll check tomorrow, since I'm still getting an error immediately after watching a video on my Kindle Fire.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

I installed 1.8 a week or so ago, got it all working except for the playback. Then 2.01 today. These are playing on my internal network, and I am confirming the trans-coded playback by the quality I'm seeing on the screen each time I change it, as well as having two new folders in my temp directory (one for each device). I have to ask stuckless about these temp folders, since both tablets are presently off, but these folders still contain lots of files. I agree it doesn't sound like your having a player problem. It's funny though how one player works great on one device and dogs out on another. I could never get MX player to work on the Kindle, and so Mobo was my goto player till now. On the Sammy Tab, MX player is #1 on the runway.

Just thought of one thing that did give me errors when upgrading. I cannot remember if it was on the Kindle or the Samsung, but when running the server check it came back with may errors. Long story short it was because I was using a url address I have set up with DynDNS for the server address. It was weird. It all played OK (proper data was being returned from the server), but would throw misc errors. When I replaced the URL with a hard IP address for the server, the errors cleared. After installing 2.01 I went back and tried the url again and it took it, no problems, no errors. I guess what I'm saying is, be sure to initially use the actual IP address and port, rather that a DNS name. If that makes any sense.

Last edited by BobbyDing; 03-01-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes, I tried refresh configuration. I also applied full permissions to all objects in VLC directory. Not sure what else is left to try. Spelling for full path to vlc.exe is perfect also.

Quote:
Mkanet, did you try the tip mentioned in post #229.? I had to save the config(s) on that BMT page using SAVE, and then again in the BMT REFRESH menu REFRESH CONFIGURATION for it to take and begin working.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 03-01-2013, 11:12 PM
SageTVaholic

tvmaster2, if you figure out what's causing the:

SageTV did not create a stream URL, please let me know! I've already spent a great deal of time double-checking what I've done. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Quote:
I take it both of us are doing the same thing wrong lol
see my note - check your vlc path url very carefully -spelling - caps etc

***RIP SageTV***
Old 03-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have a couple of videos that gives me the "sagetv did not create a stream url" while other videos work. Not sure what the difference is. I've seen that from my HDPVR recordings of Psych, everything else recorded with the HDPVR is ok so far.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

SageTV did not create a stream URL, please let me know! I've already spent a great deal of time double-checking what I've done. Maybe you'll have better luck.
in my case, I had left off the .exe from the vlc app. also, vlc had been capitalized somehow, whereas the app itself is not capitalized. I changed those two things and all worked. However, there are times where the app loses it's mind and produces the voided URL.

Also, it would appear .ts files don't produce audio, where all other video formats seem to
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 03-02-2013, 06:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Would you ever consider having the app hosted on Amazon as well?
I've considered it.. I have requests to put my other apps there well... I just haven't had the time to figure it out... I think I even have an Amazon account. My biggest hurdle is that I need to setup a dev environment for Amazon so that I can test and repackage the app. I don't want to just add the Amazon stuff my current environment, so I need to setup a new dev area for that stuff. (Same store goes for Blackberry 10, since they also support android apps)

Quote:
as well as having two new folders in my temp directory (one for each device). I have to ask stuckless about these temp folders, since both tablets are presently off, but these folders still contain lots of files
Yeah, each device gets their own space... and I leave the files around (for now), so that I can use the directory for troubleshooting. ie, I can see the files being created, I can see the log file, if needed, etc. I do clean the directory before i start a new process, but I clean on start not on end. Eventually I'll do the clean up at the end, but for now, it's just more practical for troubleshooting.

Quote:

Quote:
in my case, I had left off the .exe from the vlc app. also, vlc had been capitalized somehow, whereas the app itself is not capitalized. I changed those two things and all worked. However, there are times where the app loses it's mind and produces the voided URL.

Also, it would appear .ts files don't produce audio, where all other video formats seem to
@mkanet - I looked at your other log file, and there is nothing in there related to streaming... so either those logging changes didn't get saved (you don't need to restart bmt, just hit "save" after your click "add" in the logging), or you are not hitting the same server??? Java version is probably OK.

Sounds like I need to add more logging on the server (and maybe the client).

@tvmaster2 - did you try the channels=2 for the audio fix? If that doesn't work, then we'll need to see if someone else can offer some "tweaks".
Old 03-02-2013, 06:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Just thought of one thing that did give me errors when upgrading. I cannot remember if it was on the Kindle or the Samsung, but when running the server check it came back with may errors. Long story short it was because I was using a url address I have set up with DynDNS for the server address. It was weird. It all played OK (proper data was being returned from the server), but would throw misc errors. When I replaced the URL with a hard IP address for the server, the errors cleared. After installing 2.01 I went back and tried the url again and it took it, no problems, no errors. I guess what I'm saying is, be sure to initially use the actual IP address and port, rather that a DNS name. If that makes any sense.
Interesting. I just tried using the actual IP address and port rather than a DNS name. It didn't eliminate the error I'm getting in the app but it certainly decreased its frequency. Now instead of getting the error every time I return to the app from watching a video, I only get it every second or third time. Of course using the actual IP address isn't a long term solution since my Internet provider changes this address.

As expected, switching to avia had no effect. This isn't a player issue.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Feature Poll #1

I've created a feature poll for the Android App.. be sure to vote.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60064

Voting ends on March 9th, 2013.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
My biggest hurdle is that I need to setup a dev environment for Amazon so that I can test and repackage the app.
No need, you can submit your Android app as is (unless they changed it). You won't get access to their simulator but the results should be close enough to the Android tablets.

For BlackBerry, you can generally upload your current binary and they will do the repackaging themselves.

Of course they wouldn't be optimized, but you can do that later.
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
No need, you can submit your Android app as is (unless they changed it). You won't get access to their simulator but the results should be close enough to the Android tablets.

For BlackBerry, you can generally upload your current binary and they will do the repackaging themselves.

Of course they wouldn't be optimized, but you can do that later.
Thanks. I could do that... (and I might)... but I don't think I'd feel good about it unless I could verify (either natively or in the emulators) that everything functions without a force close I think the latest force close issues on Kindle are related to the In App stuff, which can't be used on Amazon or Blackberry anyways
Old 03-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I think the latest force close issues on Kindle are related to the In App stuff, which can't be used on Amazon or Blackberry anyways
Right, I don't use those and had to remove the "ad network" thingy from my free apps too...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 03-02-2013, 03:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
@tvmaster2 - did you try the channels=2 for the audio fix? If that doesn't work, then we'll need to see if someone else can offer some "tweaks".
I have not - but will try to get time this weekend.

So far, just .ts files don't produce audio with video, UNLESS I use the 'no transcode' option before picking my playback app, THEN, I get audio (which is mostly useless, since the stuttering over T-Mobile 4G is makes it unlistenable anyway when using 'no transcode')

does that help?

UPDATE: adding the "channels=2" to each profile seems to have fixed the audio problem with .ts files. Audio is now available with all file formats that I have tried to this point

Last edited by tvmaster2; 03-02-2013 at 07:15 PM.