SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-17-2012, 09:06 PM
SageTVaholic

AirVideo iPad app and SageTV coexisting?

I am trying an iPad app called AirVideo, a streaming video app. Has anyone tried this running on their SageTV Server?
Basically, you need to install AirVideos PC Server software where your video files reside.
My concern is that the PC can't be serving up two different software apps independently. Has anyone fooled around with this iPad app?
At the moment, I am testing it on a different machine than my SageTV server just to be safe.

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/in...54946DE4F7E575
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Sage Icon

No reasons why you couldn't do it, as long as there's enough CPU cycles on that server to handle everything it needs...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 11-17-2012, 09:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
No reasons why you couldn't do it, as long as there's enough CPU cycles on that server to handle everything it needs...
my concern was that one would steal resources, aka audio, from the other. No?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
my concern was that one would steal resources, aka audio, from the other. No?
Nah, they'll be using their own ports and such. If you were trying to have them play on the same PC/device, now that would be a different story.
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 11-17-2012, 09:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
Nah, they'll be using their own ports and such. If you were trying to have them play on the same PC/device, now that would be a different story.
cool, I'll give it I try. thanks. have you used AirVideo?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
cool, I'll give it I try. thanks. have you used AirVideo?
AirVideo was my primary streaming server/app (on the same computer that has SageTV installed) for a number of years until I switched to Plex. I prefer Plex over AirVideo (they both do remote streaming / transcoding) because the Plex app is so much prettier (if you're into cover art, etc).

When transcoding comes into play you just want to make sure that the PC that has the AirVideo (or Plex) server installed has enough oomph for transcoding. Also in my case, switching 720p recording (from 1080i) did wonders for transcoding (but I'm running on a pretty old box, a newer box with more CPU power might do better).
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 11-18-2012, 10:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
AirVideo was my primary streaming server/app (on the same computer that has SageTV installed) for a number of years until I switched to Plex. I prefer Plex over AirVideo (they both do remote streaming / transcoding) because the Plex app is so much prettier (if you're into cover art, etc).

When transcoding comes into play you just want to make sure that the PC that has the AirVideo (or Plex) server installed has enough oomph for transcoding. Also in my case, switching 720p recording (from 1080i) did wonders for transcoding (but I'm running on a pretty old box, a newer box with more CPU power might do better).
I think I have enough oomph, and I do run 720p now, mainly due to Placeshifter's limitations (wish they had fixed that before they sold-out).
I tried Plex briefly, but found the install and implementation confusing compared to AirVideo. Maybe I'll take another look at it later on.
Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 11:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post

oh, AirVideo needs Apple Bonjour to run....that's not a problem to a SageTV server machine, is it? I'm not a big fan of Apple apps running unless absolutely necessary...
Old 11-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Sage Icon

It wasn't a problem for me. Like I said I used AirVideo for a number of years installed on the same computer as SageTV...
Old 11-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

No problems here running both SageTV and a AirVideo on the same machine (virtual Windows 7 machine with 2 vCPU and 2 GB RAM). Ran it that way for about a year and recently set up a seperate VM running both AirVideo (for my iPad), and Emit (for my Galaxy S3 and my wife's Kindle Fire).

Just an FYI... definitely like Airvideo better as it seems to handle resources better. For example, streaming the same show, AirVideo uses 85-90% CPU while Emit pegs it at 100%.

Really need to check out Plex though... since my understanding is that it works on both IOS and Android. Would prefer a single solution for streaming to my portable devices...
Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've been using air video on my sage server for years with no problems. And my server is perhaps 4 or 5 years old; it's only a duo-core.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 AM
SageTVaholic

thanks for the input....AirVideo installed and seemingly working well. More thorough testing this week as I travel for the holiday. For $2.99, it's a damn good little app so far. even DVD rips are playing live while transcoding.
anyone find that a certain kbit rats that's a sweet-spot? Mine is set at 512k now.

will try Plex again in weeks to come
Old 11-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Love air video. Running it alongside Sage for months now. Works great.

Wish they had an Android client though. Right now I"m running airvideo server and Qloud server to cover both apple and android clients...
Old 11-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Sage Icon

For what it's worth, Plex has clients for both platforms...
Old 11-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Sage Expert

I normally use plex instead of airvideo, but I do still use airvideo from time to time.

I'm installing Orb right now though. I won't be home to watch the Texans on Thursday, so I'm gonna try to setup Orb to allow me to stream live TV to my iPad.

Hope this works.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 AM
Sage Expert

Seems every 6-12 months, I try orb, remember I hate it, and promptly remove it from my system.

I did get orb live TV to work on my ipad and iphone, but the quality was horrible and it didn't work consistently. I'm running on a dual core e6600, with 2gb ram. Not the best machine in the world, but for everything else I need to do with this box, it's been more than capable. With orb, the cpu is pegged at 100% and memory gets real high too, and when I disconnect, the resources are never released.

I tried to use splashtop on my ipad and iphone to watch sage live, but couldn't get audio to work - splashtop requires a certain bitrate and stereo only. I probably could get it to work somehow if I messed with it long enough, but found a better solution.

I'm still using splashtop. but instead of using sage to view live tv, I'm using the HD Homerun QuickTV app. Quality is fantastic. Audio is not 100% in sync, but for the purposes of watching football on a small screen, I think it's pretty darn good.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Sage Icon

Yeah, I gave up on Orb a long time ago...

I've been using SimpleTV for live OTA on my iPad / iPhone via the Safari browser and that's been pretty nice.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:38 PM
SageTVaholic

I guess there's no way to watch live tv with AirVideo?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I guess there's no way to watch live tv with AirVideo?
You can watch whatever has been recorded up to the time that you started playing it (in my experience). So you don't have to wait for a recording to finish, but you can't actually watch it live if that makes sense. You could start an hour long show 30 minutes after it starts, then it'd play for 30 minutes and then stop. At that point the show would be over and you could re-start it and play the last half.