SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Windows OS Update For Server?

With some time over the holiday's and since my WHS v1 OS ends its lifecycle on 8 Jan 2013, I was thinking about updating my SageTV server OS. I am going to stick with Windows, but wondered should I go Win7 and Drive Bender (maybe) for a storage pool solution or go with Win8 and use the built in Storage Spaces for my storage pool solution. Just so you know, I really only use my server as a SageTV server and data storage. My real concern is the issues I have read about Win8 Storage Spaces and have not read anything that says it is fixed yet. I wanted to get some expert opinions from folks here before I decide which way I should go. Please let me know your thoughts. Happy Holidays!
Clients: 2xHD300, 2xHD200, 2xPS, Client
SageTV/Plugins: v7.1.9, SageDCT, SRE, Comm Det, Jetty, Web Server, Mob Web, PlayOn, E/D Fav, Fav Ex, MF Stop, Enc Names
Old 12-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

I've had issues with both Drive Bender on Windows home server 2011 as well as storage pool on Windows 8. Of the two I think Drive Bender is probably a little more reliable, and Windows 7 is definitely the more stable OS.

I just upgraded from WHS v1 to Server Essential 2012. 2012 is substantially less stable and has caused many random lockups and reboots. If MyMovies server ran on Windows 7, that's the OS I would choose. The next version of MyMovies will have this feature, so Win7 is probably my longterm upgrade path.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:31 PM
SageTVaholic

If you are just using it for sage, is there really a reason to use a storage pool?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
With some time over the holiday's and since my WHS v1 OS ends its lifecycle on 8 Jan 2013, I was thinking about updating my SageTV server OS. I am going to stick with Windows, but wondered should I go Win7 and Drive Bender (maybe) for a storage pool solution or go with Win8 and use the built in Storage Spaces for my storage pool solution. Just so you know, I really only use my server as a SageTV server and data storage. My real concern is the issues I have read about Win8 Storage Spaces and have not read anything that says it is fixed yet. I wanted to get some expert opinions from folks here before I decide which way I should go. Please let me know your thoughts. Happy Holidays!
also just because the OS has gone EOL doesn't mean you need to abandon it or upgrade. I have customers still running windows 95 on a couple machines simply because, if it ain't broke why fix it? just a thought.
Setup #7.6 Hyper-V (again!)
Hardware: Comcast Basic Digital Cable, (1) HDHR3-CC 20170815 firmware, 36GB "system" drive, 2TB laptop drives, a buttload of archive drives, HP DL380G6 2x X5660 processors (4 cores to VM), 4GB ram
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64, SageTV v9.1.2.662, Java v1.8.0_131, STV 2017052101, HD300 extenders
Old 12-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
also just because the OS has gone EOL doesn't mean you need to abandon it or upgrade.
Couldn't agree more. Love my little HP MediaSmart server running WHS v1 and will keep running it until it falls over dead (knock on wood that that isn't for a good long while...)
via Olevia 247TFHD/Onyko TX-SR606/Harmony 550/HP MediaSmart EX490 WHS w/12TB
Plex Media Server v0.9.9.5 on HP Touchsmart Envy 23 d16qd
Sonos Play:3, Connect / SimpleTV v2 / Roku 2 XS+Plex / iPhone 5 / iPad 2
Old 12-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
also just because the OS has gone EOL doesn't mean you need to abandon it or upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcilicious View Post
Couldn't agree more. Love my little HP MediaSmart server running WHS v1 and will keep running it until it falls over dead (knock on wood that that isn't for a good long while...)
I have thought about just keeping it going since it does exactly what I want it to do and runs rock solid (and has for several years). I do not like that it is at EOL and will not receive any more updates, but maybe it is best to not mess with what is working. I have never had a computer that is running an EOL OS, but it sounds like you guys think that is fine and not to worry about it too much, especially if I do not need to upgrade. Interesting...
SageTV/Plugins: v7.1.9, SageDCT, SRE, Comm Det, Jetty, Web Server, Mob Web, PlayOn, E/D Fav, Fav Ex, MF Stop, Enc Names
Old 12-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm still running XP home on my headless server. I built it in mid 2009. I turned off auto updates and have never updated the OS. All it does is sit in a corner and run SageTV server. Its an appliance like a big toaster.

Recently, I took out an XP (pre-SP1) disc and valid/legal product key and installed on an older HP laptop for a browser/emailer. I was unable to update it via Windows update. I had to find 3rd party mirrors on the web for SP1-SP3 and the various security updates. I get occasional updates pushed from MS but I can't actively update it myself. I bring this up as an example of EOL'd OS. I'm concerned that trying to bring XP back up on a fresh install might not be possible (and in fact, I believe that is MS's strategy - to push or pull everyone to a new or newer MS OS)

Because I fear of the loss of this forum - an incredibly value resource for me - I am considering bringing my server up to date with Win7 64 and perhaps new mobo/CPU just to make sure the hardware gets refreshed too.

The replies like 'wait 'til its broke to fix it' (sic) are interesting to me...I am capable of bringing the hardware up to date but I get nervous about getting SageTV v7 back up and running correctly w/out access to this forum (if it came to that).
Extenders: Nvidia Shield x2 / 3 placeshifters
Server Software: Win 10 64, SageTV 9.1.5.683, Java 8_241, Real VNC
Other: MiniClient, Commercial Detector UI, Sage Recording Extender
Old 12-25-2012, 01:26 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm not one to say don't tinker with working stuff - but when was the last time you tried to 'improve' your dish washer, just because there might be a better rack that would fit in it? Treat your Sage system like an appliance, and it will 'just work' like one. Treat it like a hobby, and it will take up your time just like one.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Treat your Sage system like an appliance, and it will 'just work' like one. Treat it like a hobby, and it will take up your time just like one.
No truer words have been spoken!
Old 12-25-2012, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
No truer words have been spoken!
That said, I have always treated it like a hobby - so i break it often... Forces my kids to do crap besides watch tv all day.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'm not one to say don't tinker with working stuff - but when was the last time you tried to 'improve' your dish washer, just because there might be a better rack that would fit in it? Treat your Sage system like an appliance, and it will 'just work' like one. Treat it like a hobby, and it will take up your time just like one.

Good point but...if the maker of my dishwashing appliance was on the verge of shutting down...and if the persons who can help me keep it working are about to be silenced...I'm nervous that when/if all goes silent, I will be on an EOL'd dishwasher (read:OS) and 'stuck' with whatever quality of clean dishes (read: DIY PVR) I have at that time.

Been looking at Dish Network as a replacement for analog cable and would work more memory and different tuners/tuning into the rebuild/update at that time too.
Extenders: Nvidia Shield x2 / 3 placeshifters
Server Software: Win 10 64, SageTV 9.1.5.683, Java 8_241, Real VNC
Other: MiniClient, Commercial Detector UI, Sage Recording Extender
Old 12-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm using Windows 8 with flexraid without any issues