SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Viewing files deleted by AutoDelete?

I tend to operate with my SageTV system constantly on the verge of running out of space. Yes, I could add more storage cheaply. But that would just be a temporary bandaid as it would fill up and I'd be back to operating on the edge. It works for me because it actually encourages me to watch what I have and not add more recordings I don't have time for. Anyway, the result of such an operating mode is I occasionally have files auto-deleted to create space for new recordings. This tends to happen every time I go out of town and stop watching shows (despite my efforts to keep up with the space issues by manually deleting files remotely). I am okay with this, but would like to know what shows were deleted. So my questions are:

1) Is there a way to be notified when Sage autodeletes files?
2) More importantly, is there a way to view what files have been recently deleted?

Note, I'm not looking to recover files, just see which ones were deleted. I've found previous threads discussing a Tivo like "recently deleted" files function to recover deleted items. But couldn't find anything about just viewing them.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:56 AM
SageTVaholic

I assume you're running Sage 7? If so, the SageAlert plugin can be configured to send alerts every time a recording is deleted due to low disk space. You'll actually see you can be notified for all types of different reasons when a file is deleted, plus many other Sage events of interest.

Events can be sent to a twitter account, Growl instance, email, a csv log file or sent to an arbitrary program. Note that sending alerts via email or to an external program requires the licensed version of the plugin.

Sending alerts to a csv file would provide a type of audit log so you can see a history of what was deleted and when it was deleted. You could then process the csv file to pretty print it, etc. if you wanted a report of the deletion history.

EDIT: Full disclosure: I'm the plugin author, it's not being actively developed anymore, but I still use it. Just don't want you to license it expecting bug fixes/features to be added/etc. because that probably won't happen (pretty much a guarantee at this point). But the latest version that's available is rather stable.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...

Last edited by Slugger; 03-05-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like it would work for me. I tried it out, though, and can't seem to get it to work. Is there a set of instructions I can reference to see if I'm doing something wrong?

Edit: I do see the User Guide on the configuration site. But it is pretty simple. I believe I followed it properly, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Last edited by 71_Cuda; 03-05-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Head over here and describe in more detail what's not working. Log files are usually the key (sagealert.log from the plugin dir usually being the most important).
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
Head over here and describe in more detail what's not working. Log files are usually the key (sagealert.log from the plugin dir usually being the most important).
I posted in that thread. Not sure it's a great description of what's not working in detail. I just don't get notifications. I must be missing something in the setup. I also posted the log file.

Thanks.

Tags
autodelete, delete, recent, view