SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Phoenix
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Phoenix This forum is for discussing the user-created Phoenix custom interface for SageTV.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Sage User

UI Hosed in Pheonix on HD200

I had Phoenix running about a year ago but gave up when it kept locking up my HD200.

Now I want to try again so i can try Phoenix2 on a newly added MVP as regular SageTV7 is very sluggish on it.

I've beeb running gemstone lately and just now reinstalled Phoenix. Every time i start the Phoenix UI, i get major corruption. I see the text from various menus appear like they should but it never clears and new text is overlaid on top. i quickly end up with a crazed and indecipherable spagetti mess of text.

Phoenix works great on my Windows client, its just a messed up UI on the HD200

Any pointers on what I should look at? Seems like I had something similar before and it was either the animation system or a menu alpha transparency setting

I'm just trying to be smart and seek bright ideas before I resort to my usual strategy of fiddling with it until its completely broke then fixing it during the disaster recovery phase.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

It happened on my HD300 I just deleted the the sage property client file under the \client directory. That seemed to to fix it for me.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:19 AM
SageTVaholic

This happens every now and then - the assets for the skin are not getting loaded for an unknown reason. We've never got to the bottom of it - but the best bet IS what the previous poster mentioned, deleting the .properties file under the clients directory and let it rebuild.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Sage User

I should have mentioned that I had already tried that but it didn't make any difference. Actually tried it several times and had to manually edit it to get back to the default SageTV7.xml.

Any other ideas? I've tried rebooting the server, unplugging the HD200 and plugging it back in etc. So far I've not been able to get beyond the screen corruption.

Server is running on Windows7 x64.

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have the same issue.

I still use SageMC on the MVP - running it without background fanart is pretty snappy.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Sage User

I have Phoenix up and running on my HD200 albeit in an interim fashion.

I remembered running into issues before where Sage was looking for files in 'Program Files' that were actually located in 'Program Files (x86)' since my server is running 64bit Win7

Just to experiment, I made a copy of my entire SageTV folder from 'Program Files (x86)' and placed it in 'Program Files'. After this, Phoenix started up instantly on the HD200.

Now I need to crawl through the configuration files and add the '(x86)' after Program Files wherever it is missing. I'll report back on any errant line items as I find them in case it proves helpful for others.

Initial impression on returning to Phoenix is that it is a bit laggy due to the fan art. Once I figure out how to turn off background fan art, It'll hopefully be similar to what I had with Gemstone otherwise I might just return to Gemstone and use SageMC for the MVP. Phoenix2 on the MVP seems ok for the short time I played with it but I didn't see the music functions on there which would be a show stopper.

I've a lot more twiddling to do and will follow up in a day or so.

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2013, 05:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankeys View Post
I have Phoenix up and running on my HD200 albeit in an interim fashion.

I remembered running into issues before where Sage was looking for files in 'Program Files' that were actually located in 'Program Files (x86)' since my server is running 64bit Win7

Just to experiment, I made a copy of my entire SageTV folder from 'Program Files (x86)' and placed it in 'Program Files'. After this, Phoenix started up instantly on the HD200.

Now I need to crawl through the configuration files and add the '(x86)' after Program Files wherever it is missing. I'll report back on any errant line items as I find them in case it proves helpful for others.

Initial impression on returning to Phoenix is that it is a bit laggy due to the fan art. Once I figure out how to turn off background fan art, It'll hopefully be similar to what I had with Gemstone otherwise I might just return to Gemstone and use SageMC for the MVP. Phoenix2 on the MVP seems ok for the short time I played with it but I didn't see the music functions on there which would be a show stopper.

I've a lot more twiddling to do and will follow up in a day or so.

Thanks!
I don't run windows... but I think some people recommend NOT installing SageTV under programfiles, but rather in a SageTV directory off the root. This way, you don't get hit with windows UAC issues and issues like the one that you are finding.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:21 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I don't run windows... but I think some people recommend NOT installing SageTV under programfiles, but rather in a SageTV directory off the root. This way, you don't get hit with windows UAC issues and issues like the one that you are finding.
That's no fair, why didn't I think of that? I've deliberated over running x86 or x64 on the server before but went with the latter so I could use all of the 4GB memory. I've always had UAC turned off but the above is so obvious I'm shocked I didn't think of it before.

I think I'll move my SageTV folder this weekend just for fun. I will crawl through the configuration files first to see where the errant entries are in case it helps someone.

Thank you, thank you!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Sage User

So..... I uninstalled SageTV after copying its folder, then I deleted anything related under 'program files' and 'program files (x86)'. Next, I reinstalled into a new SageTV folder in root c:\ bringing in only wiz.bin and my fanart folder. From the plugins, i only installed Phoenix, BMT, and comskip.

Same situation as before, Phoenix loads up on the HD200 with major screen corruption. I searched through every .properties and . xml file throughout SageTV and didnt find any references to 'program files'.

As before, I placed a copy of SageTV under program files (not x86) and hey presto, now Phoenix works on the HD200.

What I did notice though is that a few menu changes I had made to the cross landing zone where already there when I fired Phoenix back up so some settings are clearly being stored outside of the SageTV folder tree. I don't have UAC turned on so should be no folder virtualization but i admit I didnt clean up old SageTV items from the registry or from appdata.

I'll look in there when I have a moment and report back.

On a brighter note, my two HDPVR2 tuners showed up in my fresh SageTV install and it was mindnumbingly easy to get them running again. I'm incredibly happy with those.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Sage User

So..... I uninstalled SageTV after copying its folder, then I deleted anything related under 'program files' and 'program files (x86)'. Next, I reinstalled into a new SageTV folder in root c:\ bringing in only wiz.bin and my fanart folder. From the plugins, i only installed Phoenix, BMT, and comskip.

Same situation as before, Phoenix loads up on the HD200 with major screen corruption. I searched through every .properties and . xml file throughout SageTV and didnt find any references to 'program files'.

As before, I placed a copy of SageTV under program files (not x86) and hey presto, now Phoenix works on the HD200.

What I did notice though is that a few menu changes I had made to the cross landing zone where already there when I fired Phoenix back up so some settings are clearly being stored outside of the SageTV folder tree. I don't have UAC turned on so should be no folder virtualization but i admit I didnt clean up old SageTV items from the registry or from appdata.

I'll look in there when I have a moment and report back.

On a brighter note, my two HDPVR2 tuners showed up in my fresh SageTV install and it was mindnumbingly easy to get them running again. I'm incredibly happy with those.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:56 AM
SageTVaholic

It's possible that when you installed Phoenix the skins aren't fully extracting - you should see in the properties files for the HD200(s) what the "phoenix/ui/skin" setting is and perhaps manually install the skin files from here.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankeys View Post
I searched through %appdata% for anything SageTV related and found nothing, even in the virtualization folder. I then searched the entire registry for 'Program Files/SageTV' or 'Program Files (x86)/SageTV' and found nothing. Everything was correct with current 'C:\SageTV'. So why Phoenix retained my previous menu settings after I uninstalled SageTV, deleted all it's folders and reinstalled into a different folder is a mystery? Only items I retained from the old installation was the fanart folder and wiz.bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
It's possible that when you installed Phoenix the skins aren't fully extracting - you should see in the properties files for the HD200(s) what the "phoenix/ui/skin" setting is and perhaps manually install the skin files from here.
Progress! The skin files had actually fully extracted and where in their correct location so no problems there. I DO NOT however have the 'phoenix/ui/skin' line item in my client properties file, nor is it in my sagetv.properties file.

I thought maybe if I changed the skin in Phoenix then that line item would populate into the client .properties since I hadn't changed the skin from default as yet. I changed the skin to 'Ice', checked the .properties file and still no 'phoenix/ui/skin' line item? (see below). But........ I then deleted the copy of the SageTV folder that I placed under 'Program Files' and now it is no longer needed. Phoenix starts up normally on the HD200 without the copied folder since I changed the skin.

Seems like Phoenix when fresh installed is looking for it's default skin under 'Program Files/SageTV' regardless of where the installation folder is placed. This appears to have now been rectified after I changed the skin from default.

I'm fully up and running now but if we're on to something as far as the long term bialio alluded to earlier then I'm totally willing to keep experimenting, just let me know.

Thanks for the help!

phoenix/GlobalMenuName=GlobalMenu
phoenix/SkinEditor/Enabled=false
phoenix/core/enableAdvancedViews=true
phoenix/lz/cross/alphaBar=30
phoenix/lz/cross/recordingActivity=false
phoenix/lz/fanart=false
phoenix/lz/landingZone=CROSS
phoenix/lz/popupHomeMenu=true
phoenix/lz/sage/recordingActivity=false
phoenix/lz/showCustomizeInOptions=true
phoenix/lz/weatherBackgrounds=false
phoenix/osd/timebarBottomArea=0.75
phoenix/osd/timebarProgress=0.78
phoenix/ui/alwaysresume=false
phoenix/ui/background=.\\STVs\\Phoenix\\Skins\\Backgrounds\\bridge.jpg
phoenix/ui/dropshadow/hexpand=40
phoenix/ui/dropshadow/vexpand=32
phoenix/ui/osd/ShowGenreInDescription=true
phoenix/ui/simplify=true
phoenix/umb/autoMediaInfo=false
phoenix/umb/defaultBrowser=TALLLIST
phoenix/umb/foldericonsize=HIDDEN
phoenix/umb/grid/alphamask=NONE
phoenix/umb/grid/alwaysshowinfo=true
phoenix/umb/grid/scrolldirection=HORIZONTAL
phoenix/umb/gridColumns=6
phoenix/umb/gridRows=3
phoenix/umb/mediaInfoDisplay=DETAILED
phoenix/umb/roundedCorners=true
phoenix/umb/selectToBrowse=true
phoenix/umb/showActionOnOptions=true
phoenix/umb/showMediaCount=true
phoenix/umb/showMediaPath=true
phoenix/umb/showPosters=true
phoenix/umb/showWatchedIcon=TVONLY
phoenix/umb/stickyCustomization=false
phoenix/umb/useBannerInList=false
phoenix/vosd/autoComskip=true
phoenix/vosd/autoskipactivitybuffer=3000
phoenix/vosd/comskipBlind=false
phoenix/vosd/selectedTimeBar=default
phoenix/vosd/showEpisodeDescription=false
phoenix/vosd/stopDialog=false
phoenix/vosd/videoThumbnailInterval=10
phoenix/vosd/vosdalpha=255
phoenix/weather/apply=true
phoenix/weather/weatherSupport=world
plugin/filter/beta=false
plugin/filter/incompatible=false
plugin/filter/updated_only=false
plugin/last_list_mode=xPluginModeAll
plugin/last_type_browsed=All
plugin/sort_style=xByPluginName
Old 06-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Sage User

Also, just want to note that my family and I really love the Phoenix UI and very much appreciate the effort that goes into both creating and maintaining it.

The problem with it freezing on the HD200 that stopped us using it a year or so ago seems to be gone now and we are now using Phoenix full time on all our extenders except the MVP. I'm playing with Phoenix2 on that one.

Thank you!
Old 06-08-2013, 02:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Lemme know how it goes on the MVP - I'm curious how P2 would perform there. I suspect it would need a lighter fan art presentation to make it workable, but who knows?
Old 06-09-2013, 12:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
Lemme know how it goes on the MVP - I'm curious how P2 would perform there. I suspect it would need a lighter fan art presentation to make it workable, but who knows?
Yeah. And there's some UI glitchiness too. Elements persist onscreen when they should vanish, etc.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:14 AM
Sage User

I'm just using the MVP for music so no fanart concerns. Haven't experienced any screen corruption but I have seen it get stuck on some screens and seems a bit sluggish. Haven't spent much time on it though but plan to persevere to see if it'll work. If not, I'll go with SageMC. I think I still have all my menu and theme backups for that.