SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:56 PM
SageTVaholic

dual core or quad core AMD processors

I have been using a dual-core AMD Athlon 2.9 processor for a few years.
It's fine for Sage playback thru media extenders.

However, lately I've started adding iPad apps, HBO Go Netflix, Playon into the equation, and I've noticed extreme jerkiness/sluggishness when you request to playback a HD stream on the iPad, in addition to whatever live TV is running thru Sage. Requesting a stream for a lower resolution device like an Android phone causes no problems.

Streaming from my home network on the iPad, directly to HBO Go, etc, in HD, causes no problems. Only when a HD app makes a request to the Sage server (Playon - Air Video HD)

Would a quad-core help to alleviate this problem, and is live transcoding the reason for the bottleneck?

4 gigs of ram in a W7 32bit box (need 1394 channel change, so that's it for ram). Video card is Gigabyte on-board HD4200 Radeon.

So, would a quad-core eliminate the sluggishness? What kind of frame rates does the server have to offer up for two, simultaneous HD streams: 200fps?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 10-26-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:09 PM
SageTVaholic

What's the current processor usage when you experience the sluggishness?
Old 10-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Sage Icon

If I recall Playon recommends a 4x CPU. I have an i5 4 core on my main server and I have noticed that if I am compressing a BluRay I get that kind of playback problem on both Plex and Playon. Plex seems a little better under load than Playon but they are essentially re-encoding video on the fly so cpu would be important.

So I would say it is likely you need a 4 Core. If you have Comskip or something cpu intensive running you might try disabling it to see how it works. Intensive I\O can use significant cpu so 2 cores really are not that much past the basics. There is a Systems test built into Playon that might tell you something as well.

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
What's the current processor usage when you experience the sluggishness?
100% for a couple of minutes, then it bounces back and forth between 85 - 100 %, when two HD streams are used
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 10-30-2014, 11:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
If I recall Playon recommends a 4x CPU. I have an i5 4 core on my main server and I have noticed that if I am compressing a BluRay I get that kind of playback problem on both Plex and Playon. Plex seems a little better under load than Playon but they are essentially re-encoding video on the fly so cpu would be important.

So I would say it is likely you need a 4 Core. If you have Comskip or something cpu intensive running you might try disabling it to see how it works. Intensive I\O can use significant cpu so 2 cores really are not that much past the basics. There is a Systems test built into Playon that might tell you something as well.
Thanks. It passed the system test, but I don't believe I had two streams active.
Air Video seems to be able to stream a HD file, but it transcodes to SD on the fly, which apparently isn't as taxing?