SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:44 PM
Sage Expert

And if you use PlayPass, you can just put things in your queue, watchlist, whatever, and then schedule PlayPass to pull them down to a folder that Sage watches. Then the stuff is there when you want it. PlayPass is really quite good.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I'm certainly in. I might not have as much time as I did several years ago but I'm looking forward to making a contribution.

High on my list is 64 bit Java support. I'm constantly bumping up against the heap limit.
Question is there anything any of us can do once the thing lands in whatever source form (let's just say tarball, since I enjoy saying that from time to time) to help move along the transition to 64-bit JAVA binaries? I have done some object oriented languages, but never any java.

Another idea for a "quick fix" is to maybe fork out various pieces of the server into workers that can allocate their own chunk of up to 4GB? The size of my wiz.bin that knows basically every episode of anything that I've watched or not, liked or not, any season-episode combos that missed recording - that has to be a heck of a lot alone. I haven't looked at my wiz.bin size in a couple of years, but surely that has to eat some heap, especially managing a sometimes huge flat file as a database.

Speaking of database, I know someone up above mentioned they disliked the idea of MySQL - it really isn't that complex and would allow at least repairs for the unfortunate few who have had to "start over" at least once. The installer could probably silently install and configure a copy and populate with schema and rename the service to SageWizDB and most folks would probably never have a problem. The offloading of the flat file DB stuff from the core 4GB of Java Heap, combined with a client/server arch, that doesn't have to reload (unless we want it to) when the other services do. (Note I have no idea what Oracle has done with the Community Edition as far as licensing goes to make that auto install compliant with CE licensing or not).

Otherwise, there's SQLite, which is, well here's it's own description from their homepage:

SQLite is a software library that implements a self-contained, serverless, zero-configuration, transactional SQL database engine. SQLite is the most widely deployed SQL database engine in the world. The source code for SQLite is in the public domain.

Then there's the scary "Step 5. Run Wiz.bin to Database Conversion Wizard". That one would probably require some testing before release.

Anyway just tossing those things out there - so good to see the old big names back around!
Old 04-22-2015, 03:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
That and the lack of HD Audio support. There are plenty of alternatives for less than ideal quality media devices. But if you care about quality, the choices get real slim.
Now that even all but the lowest end intel chips have QuickSync and pass proper HD audio over HDMI, and hell, ALMOST push out the correct 29.xxx frames/second, and I cleaned up my PC clients (i3 2xx5 and 3xx5's) with the LAVFilters, and still have a good portion of my CPU unused even on a dual core, and I think perhaps even the lower-yet-end of the subsequent chips will give us plenty to work with...

AMD's APU's might become interesting as we move toward 4K, as well. The cost of the OS (Windows) I guess is what we pay for matured drivers (except for anything made by Hauuppauge, ##)(*%##@#), and ActiveX and other standard ways.

I guess what I am saying is the x64 Windows platform is kind of the ultimate playground for what we can do as far as whiz-bang clients for not a heck of a lot of cash.

I haven't dabbled with Linux on the desktop (just on servers) in many years, and I will just assume the Tuner/Multimedia/Access to things like QuickSync via modules are still few & far between.

But what about SteamOS (I have not looked too hard at it yet) - there has to be some progress in order for all the games I see coming available to work... would not Sage be a natural extension of that "living room PC"? (Except does anyone make anything that can play back BD-ISO/3D BD-ISO's like PDVD for Linux?)
Old 04-22-2015, 03:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
To SHS and reggie, regarding client options, I have never, nor never want to have to, deal with codecs, settings, client programming and maintenance, etc. The Sage HD extender was ahead of its time and is still one of the best devices out there for playback at a TV. With an update for video/audio types that are new since the Google purchase, it would be back to being the best. Plug it in and forget it. Our house gets all media through Sage and has no need for extra functionality (HD Netflix?) that a client could provide. There are literally dozens and dozens of threads on this forum that I've never had to read/worry about because I'm a 100% extender house and always will be.

By the way, don't read any snark into my answer, I don't intend any, though I suppose it could be taken that way. I'm typing with raised eyebrows and shrugged shoulders.
I've been in codec hell, so I hear you. (I *STILL* cannot get PDVD to expose its decoders). A lot of this would go away if that one big glaring ugly bug that is if I recall correctly Sage Relentlessly and without mercy always using its splitter, regardless of merit, begging, offering of sacrifices, etc.... But the PC client as it stands is the only way I know of to view 3DBD's, or BD's with Menus properly 100%, for that matter.

As for Netflix, and the rest of them - I don't see why they shouldn't be fine with giving some sort of integration hookup so we have at least basic remote functionality - the more places/devices/people can watch the more they make right?
Old 04-22-2015, 03:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck55 View Post
I've been in codec hell, so I hear you. (I *STILL* cannot get PDVD to expose its decoders). A lot of this would go away if that one big glaring ugly bug that is if I recall correctly Sage Relentlessly and without mercy always using its splitter, regardless of merit, begging, offering of sacrifices, etc.... But the PC client as it stands is the only way I know of to view 3DBD's, or BD's with Menus properly 100%, for that matter.

As for Netflix, and the rest of them - I don't see why they shouldn't be fine with giving some sort of integration hookup so we have at least basic remote functionality - the more places/devices/people can watch the more they make right?
I still prefer PC clients, and likely always will for my main living room setup. The flexibility and quality is hard to beat. plus - games.

I also just read that the newest versions of ffmpeg supports actually decoding DTS-HD MA, meaning once that's rolled into ffdshow, It will fully be able to not just playback, but actually process all audio sources - which is awesome.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 04-22-2015, 01:36 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewispm View Post
Just curious, why do you need PlayLater?

For the same result, I just find the show on the PlayOn Plugin in Sage, then after it starts hit pause, then when its done downloading hit record.
I agree with everything Fuzzy wrote plus you can comskip PlayLater recordings (great for Hulu) and fast forward (something you can't do if you stream).

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 04-22-2015, 01:38 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgreco View Post
And if you use PlayPass, you can just put things in your queue, watchlist, whatever, and then schedule PlayPass to pull them down to a folder that Sage watches. Then the stuff is there when you want it. PlayPass is really quite good.
WHAT!!!!

I've been wanting something like this for a long time. PlayOn promised this years ago but never delivered.

I'm going to have to check this out tonight.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 04-22-2015, 02:19 PM
Sage Icon

If I even dare tell my wife about the existence of Playpass, I will have to go buy several more TBs of storage just to hold all the reality competitions she'd record from FoodTV and HGTV and goodness-knows-where-else.

(seriously, she says she doesn't need cable because she watched too much cr*p when we had it, but if I made it easy for her to grab every episode of "America's Next Top Designer Chef Model", she would. In a heartbeat.)
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
I stand by my original statements on timeline. But a lot of progress has been made in preparing the code base for open source release...it's actually quite a large pile of code.
Would it be feasible to extend the trial period for the current version until the OS version is ready or is it hardcoded?
Old 04-22-2015, 03:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
Would it be feasible to extend the trial period for the current version until the OS version is ready or is it hardcoded?
Would require a rebuild, as the time limit is in the code. They also can't offer free licenses, as there are some licensing issues with doing so. Just have to be patient.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 04-22-2015, 10:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I still prefer PC clients, and likely always will for my main living room setup. The flexibility and quality is hard to beat. plus - games.

I also just read that the newest versions of ffmpeg supports actually decoding DTS-HD MA, meaning once that's rolled into ffdshow, It will fully be able to not just playback, but actually process all audio sources - which is awesome.
You sure it's not just the core DTS tracks, but all the DTS-hd ma tracks now can be decoded?

*edit: Did some quick googling. Sure enough yup looks like there is a free lib out there now for decoding DTS-HD MA. I read the newer nightlies of LAV already have it so that could be used. I can really only see this being of use to folks who have more than 6 speakers and a receiver that can't decode bitstreamed DTS-hd MA.

Last edited by Gustovier; 04-22-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:48 AM
Sage Fanatic

I stopped checking these forums this year because of the lack of activity. I have always had in the back of my mind how I would replace SageTV someday. So when I got the email from Silicondust about the HDHomeRun DVR, I when to kickstarter. It seemed interesting and I was trying to decide what to do. Then I read a comment from a SageTV user and I decided to check out what SageTV users thought about the HDHomeRun DVR.

WOW!!!

SageTV going open source! New extenders are available!

I am really happy I can stop thinking about how to replace SageTV and instead start thinking about upgrading to new versions.

Thanks Jeff! It took a long time, but it was worth waiting for.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 04-24-2015, 08:46 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
What was the reason again we can't send out an email blast to all registered members? Spread the word!
Old 04-24-2015, 10:22 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
What was the reason again we can't send out an email blast to all registered members? Spread the word!
HEY, not until I get as many HD300's and remotes as I could ever want and need. Those of us who stopped in once a week or so to see what is new on the forums should be rewarded. Not those "fair weather" fans. JK!!
Old 04-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
HEY, not until I get as many HD300's and remotes as I could ever want and need. Those of us who stopped in once a week or so to see what is new on the forums should be rewarded. Not those "fair weather" fans. JK!!
Too late. I already placed an order.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 04-25-2015, 08:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
Too late. I already placed an order.
Long live SageTV!! 3 years of no significant development and it is still about 10 years ahead of just about anything else out there.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:25 AM
Sage User

Hope I am not too late, I only just saw the post about the extenders!
Old 05-06-2015, 05:28 PM
Sage User

EPG

I WOULD PAY IF ALL is brought back!!!
Old 05-06-2015, 06:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Brought back? It's never been gone.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm interested to see where this goes. I've been using MediaPortal for the past few years, which works okay, but it seems like everyone has abandoned the MP client in favor of the XBMC/Kodi integration - which I hate how the remote navigation works in Kodi. MediaPortal also does not have a uPNP browser, which limits me from using a lot of online media.

I left SageTV primarily because I needed more licenses - it sounds like this should no longer be a problem in the near future
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored

Tags
open source